145 replies to this topic

#81 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 01:17 PM

Janoris Jenkins cut by the Giants.   I can't give a link because I am on my lunch hour at work and for some reason I can't cut and paste into this forum on my work pc.  Have no idea why.  I will post it later if nobody else provides it but it is on bleacher report.

Apparently he was cut for using an offensive term in a tweet.  A fan tweeted at him asking why his statistical output hadn't led to more wins.  He tweeted back, "I can only do my job....retard."   Now I get that the term is insensitive and you certainly don't want your players dissing your fans in any way, but cutting him for it?  Really?  I can see a fine, maybe a suspension if you want to go that far, but this seems like a huge over reaction. 

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 03:23 PM

He also doubled down and basically said his apology for using that word in that way was insincere as he was giving it.  Good on the Giants, IMO.  People slip up and say that kind of thing a lot.  It's not something I think is fireable or unforgivable, but you need to act penitent.  Others have said the same exact thing and come back to say that they are sorry and working on getting the word out of their vocabulary but slipped up.  Jenkins basically told anyone offended to eff off.  

I have no idea if he's any good anymore, maybe this is part football related and part headache reduction.  But whatever the case, it's a good opportunity for the Giants to take a moral stand with no negative implications.  

#83 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:03 PM

See I look at it the other way.  He explained himself and said he was sorry if anyone was offended but it was a cultural thing that was slang he used growing up where he did.  He said it would be disingenuous for him to apologize for using a word in the vernacular that he was accustomed to.  I don't condone his word usage or his lashing out at fans on social media, but I do applaud him for standing his ground against the over sensitive PC world.  I think he could have chosen a better way to address the fan, but to basically be fired over something like this?  I don't think that's right.  But the truth is that the Giants as his employer do have that right.  I can disagree, but at the end of the day you need to follow the rules set down by your employer.  And if what you are doing makes the organization look bad, and you refuse to apologize for it, you will be out of work in the NFL.   

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:10 PM

See I look at it the other way.  He explained himself and said he was sorry if anyone was offended but it was a cultural thing that was slang he used growing up where he did.  He said it would be disingenuous for him to apologize for using a word in the vernacular that he was accustomed to.  I don't condone his word usage or his lashing out at fans on social media, but I do applaud him for standing his ground against the over sensitive PC world.  I think he could have chosen a better way to address the fan, but to basically be fired over something like this?  I don't think that's right.  But the truth is that the Giants as his employer do have that right.  I can disagree, but at the end of the day you need to follow the rules set down by your employer.  And if what you are doing makes the organization look bad, and you refuse to apologize for it, you will be out of work in the NFL.   

I'm sure he'd feel the same way about, say, a word that might be in the childhood vernacular of an older, white Southerner.

@DJ_McCann

#85 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 03:00 AM

I'm sure he'd feel the same way about, say, a word that might be in the childhood vernacular of an older, white Southerner.

The word you are talking about has a much bigger, more historical, and more denigrating connotation than what he used.  But if that is the case, maybe we should publish a group of words that should never be used in any conversation.  I just don't think what he tweeted warranted getting released over.  Fined, sure.  Suspended, perhaps.  But not released.  

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:23 PM

The word you are talking about has a much bigger, more historical, and more denigrating connotation than what he used. But if that is the case, maybe we should publish a group of words that should never be used in any conversation. I just don't think what he tweeted warranted getting released over. Fined, sure. Suspended, perhaps. But not released.

So does the word he used. There is real and significant discrimination towards mentally challenged individuals. It's rampant. Unfortunately, part of their disability makes it quite challenging to protest, hold rallies, and generally voice their concerns. This is like the argument in defense of the Washington football team name. Just because you don't see Native Americans picketing the streets, mainly because we've killed almost all of them, doesn't mean it isn't offensive.

That said, I agree with your point that it's something people say without any harmful intent or meaning behind it, hell, I saw it a lot growing up. And the people saying it weren't bad people. But it IS harmful, and it shouldn't be said. I can see your point though.

#87 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2019 - 09:22 AM

Setting the O/U at 2.5 for seasons Shurnur stays the coach.(he signed a 5 year deal)
What you got?

Under

This hire never made sense. He was never going to succeed.

#88 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,671 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:49 AM

Giants hiring Patriots assistant, Joe Judge as Head Coach

https://www.espn.com...udge-head-coach

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#89 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,622 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 07 January 2020 - 11:53 AM

My friends that are Giants fans are not too pleased with this hire.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2020 - 11:36 AM

My friends that are Giants fans are not too pleased with this hire.

My guess is that they will change their minds.

#91 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 12:23 PM

What is it with New York and guys named Judge?
@BSLMikeRandall

#92 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

The Joe Judge press conference is very uninspiring. A lot about “can’t reinvent the wheel” “doing what has won games for many years”.

I’m thinking....the Ravens say “Hi”.
@BSLMikeRandall

#93 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:19 PM

The Joe Judge press conference is very uninspiring. A lot about “can’t reinvent the wheel” “doing what has won games for many years”.

I’m thinking....the Ravens say “Hi”.

Another "Bill Belichick attitude" without the "Bill Belichick talent".

@DJ_McCann

#94 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

I did read he wants to talk to Freddie Kitchens. Might not be a good step off for the NY press.

#95 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,546 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

I did read he wants to talk to Freddie Kitchens. Might not be a good step off for the NY press.

For OC?  My not be the worst idea as long as an adult is managing the team.

#96 OldSchool

OldSchool
  • Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:13 PM

As a Giants fan I wanted Rhule but Judge made a good first impression. 

Who he hires as coaches and the draft will tell more.

He had a lot of Parcells and Coughlin style and I liked that.

#97 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 08:29 AM

For OC?  My not be the worst idea as long as an adult is managing the team.

Yes. Don't know if the NY press will allow the stink to wash off him before long.

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:02 PM

Giants hired Jason Garrett as their OC.

#99 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:14 AM

Giants hired Jason Garrett as their OC.

He did get to NY.

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:23 AM

Jones was obsessed with JG... Gotta kill him a little that he ends up with the NYG. Cool.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=