5 replies to this topic

#1 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:35 PM

I found this note particularly interesting about how the Angels avoided having Left-Handed batters face LHPs as much as possible:http://mlb.sbnation....the-day-or-year

Obviously their switch-hitters and righty-heavy lineup impacted this, and it certainly won't repeat next year with Josh Hamilton on the field.

That said, I'm curious how you guys feel about platooning some O's hitters. Some guys have some pretty steep splits (Betemit immediately comes to mind) but it obviously requires more roster spots going to guys who aren't full time players.
Perhaps Alexi Casilla & Flaherty will be platooned (Casilla is a switch hitter). JJ Hardy showed fairly significant splits, so an INF that looks like (from left to right):

vs L: Machado, Hardy, Casilla, Davis
vs R: Betemit, Machado, Flaherty, Davis

Might not be a terrible idea (ignoring defense for the purpose of this exercise).

What do you guys think about platoons and manipulating the lineup on a daily basis to optimize production?
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@JeffLongBP

#2 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

The big problem is that you can't really have more than one or two sets of platoon players on your team due to roster restrictions, both league- and self-inflicted.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Well you definitely have to ignore defense to want to go in that direction.

I do think you can go with 3 or even 4 platoons if that's how the roster can best be optimized. I don't really get why some keep on saying you can't have more than 1 platoon. There's going to be 4 guys on the bench either way, so what's the problem with having 3-4 guys that complement other players of their positions well? What's wrong with having bench players who have a known role that gives them consistent playing time rather than having someone who would hardly ever start unless someone gets hurt?

So yeah, Betemit can platoon with a RH bat (preferably one that can play somewhere decently) at DH, McLouth and Reimold could platoon, and Flaherty and Casilla could platoon. The 2B situation may not be ideal, but that's not because it's a platoon, it's because the talent is questionable.

So against righties, the bench would be: Reimold, Casilla, Teagarden, and a righty that can play at least one position.

Against lefties it would be McLouth, Flaherty, Teagarden, and Betemit.

Why is that a problematic bench? Especially when considering Machado and Davis have flexibility. If a lefty replaced the unnamed righty, would the bench be better?

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:47 PM

LF and DH are going to be platoons this season unless Duquette decides that he actually wants to try to improve the team through trade or free agency.

We'll have McLouth and Reimold in LF and Betemit and likely Valencia at DH. If one of McLouth, Reimold, or Betemit hit well enough against their same-side split, then they could eat into the other's at bats. Reimold is the only guy I see this being a possibility for. I think we know that Betemit and McLouth can't hit lefties. Reimold will start to take away their at bats against right-handed pitching if they struggle.

2B they will try to give to Roberts. If it's not him, then I think a Casilla / Flaherty platoon is likely.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:54 PM

LF and DH are going to be platoons this season unless Duquette decides that he actually wants to try to improve the team through trade or free agency.

We'll have McLouth and Reimold in LF and Betemit and likely Valencia at DH. If one of McLouth, Reimold, or Betemit hit well enough against their same-side split, then they could eat into the other's at bats. Reimold is the only guy I see this being a possibility for. I think we know that Betemit and McLouth can't hit lefties. Reimold will start to take away their at bats against right-handed pitching if they struggle.

2B they will try to give to Roberts. If it's not him, then I think a Casilla / Flaherty platoon is likely.

I agree with most of this. I see McClouth getting a chance to establish himself as a fulltime player like he was at the end of last year. If that is the case Reimold would be the RH DH split with Betemit. I don;t have a much confidence in McClouth establishing himself as the fulltime LF but I see Buck giving him the chance to do that to start the year.

#6 Kevin Ebert

Kevin Ebert
  • Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't think there's any way that Hardy should be on the bench vs. right handed pitching. His defense is too valuable to only play him ~25% of the time. I also don't think it'll be a strict platoon at 2B. If Roberts isn't healthy enough to play, I think Buck will try to get one of Flaherty or Casilla to take the job and run with it. The other can be a utility player.

Without any further additions, I do think the team will go with a platoon in LF and at DH. I just hope that they don't take Valencia's small sample size .316 BA vs. lefties as a sign of his true talent. He's not that good. He doesn't deserve to have a major league role. He should be minor league depth.
@BSLKevinEbert

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=