#81 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:32 PM

I'm trying to think of some potential value in this post.

This is a recent post on OH. I think it's funny and spot on.

But if I said that to anyone, they would bash me because they disagreed with me.

Sometimes, when stupid things are said, you deserve to be called on it. It doesn't mean you don't want to be disagreed with.,.it means you made a stupid comment and someone called you out on it.

If you don't like it, just stop saying stupid things...it's that simple.

But this goes back to all of these issues....so many people over there blow things out of proportion and that just doesn't need to happen.

It's a shame that TennOs and then Ricker had to hear crap bc of that type of mentality.

#82 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

I can honestly say that I'm surprised that Tony reads his members' private messages. I think if the paying members over there knew that the owner was reading all their private messages, they might have a problem with that. It's almost lawsuit worthy, considering they are called "private" messages and that he doesn't warn you anywhere that your private correspondences are being read by staff. And he was spying on a lawyer, no less!

Well, he didn't read a PM..he saw a rep comment.

Now, why he is reading those is beyond me.

#83 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

It'll be intersting to see if Duffman or Cerrano had any negative experiences with Tony. I sent Tony a PM and he told me that I wasn't the "coward" he was refering to in the thread. I guess he didn't know I was ccbird. But I'm glad I expressed my concerns to him. ANyway, i think that only leaves Cerrano and Duffman as people who posted in this thread and are still members of that board.

#84 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

For eight years, I have spent nearly every day of my life logging onto OH. I don't always post. I certainly don't do a bunch of analysis. But, it was my internet home. Several times a day, I was logging in to see what was going on. Not just for Orioles news -- heck, I got so much info and perspectives from all parts of life. I'll miss some folks over there.

If you would have told me a week ago that I would leave that site on January 5, I would have called you a fool.

But just add me to the "backstabber" list because I sent RZNJ some positive rep with a comment when he posted that Tony had given him neg rep for what I thought was a nonoffensive statement of an opinion. Tony then rips me in a PM. I then wondered, how the heck did he know what I said? Apparently he has so few things to do in his life that he'll monitor private messages when someone makes him mad. And then he takes what you said and makes it into something bigger. Really childish.

I never had an infraction, a neg rep from Tony, nothing for eight years. But then he starts calling me names and defends his monitoring of private messages (I can understand if someone reports an offensive private message -- but just fishing around to start fights -- no). I wasn't going to say anything publicly, but since I came over here and actually read this thread and see that I'm not the only one who has been treated this way by him, well, I say the heck with him. He built a great board, but he'll eventually kill it because he's too much in love with himself.

This "backstabber" hadn't even visited this board until today. I watched as good posters left, and I didn't like that, but I didn't involve myself in the drama. But here I am, a martyr like many of you.

And no, Tony, I didn't let that internet door hit me.

I always suspected that he did that. Some community he's building: bullying and silencing critics, rewarding those who offer only slobbering praise, no privacy.

He's the true coward in this case.

#85 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I can honestly say that I'm surprised that Tony reads his members' private messages. I think if the paying members over there knew that the owner was reading all their private messages, they might have a problem with that. It's almost lawsuit worthy, considering they are called "private" messages and that he doesn't warn you anywhere that your private correspondences are being read by staff. And he was spying on a lawyer, no less!

The more I think about it...

If you have/had an account over at OH and you happen to be using the same password for your account here as you did over there, I would highly recommend that you change your password here at BSL. They use VBulletin and they can easily gain access to the password that you used for your OH account.

You can change your password by going to:

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit account settings.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#86 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Probably because he was mad at RZNJ for publicly saying that he'd given him negative rep. So he then monitored to watch who gave positive rep in response. That's what I'm guessing.

George Orwell wrote books about that kind of stuff.

#87 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

The more I think about it...

If you have/had an account over at OH and you happen to be using the same password for your account here as you did over there, I would highly recommend that you change your password here at BSL. They use VBulletin and they can easily gain access to the password that you used for your OH account.

You can change your password by going to:

User Control Panel > Profile > Edit account settings.

Good call, but I think I might just change mine over there to something I won't use anywhere else.

Edit: would it store old passwords?

#88 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:40 PM

No it isn't :P

#89 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

tennOsfan said he read his private message to RZNJ.

Unless I read it wrong, I think he was referring to a rep comment. But he's the admin; I'm sure he has the ability to access everything. Which is fine, when used responsibly.

#90 tennOsfan

tennOsfan

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationJonesborough, TN

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:42 PM

tennOsfan said he read his private message to RZNJ.

No, it was a comment that went along with rep. But from our brief exchange, Tony said he can read private messages to ensure that board rules are being followed. He said if I wanted to privately talk to someone, I could use email.

#91 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,697 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:43 PM

It'll be intersting to see if Duffman or Cerrano had any negative experiences with Tony. I sent Tony a PM and he told me that I wasn't the "coward" he was refering to in the thread. I guess he didn't know I was ccbird. But I'm glad I expressed my concerns to him. ANyway, i think that only leaves Cerrano and Duffman as people who posted in this thread and are still members of that board.

Meh, he called me out a long time ago, when this first all went down, for being a backstabber or whatever. He saw a post I made here basically stating that if all the good OH posters came here, I'd make this my primary internet home.

Obviously this is a completely innocuous statement (why wouldn't ANYONE go to a site that has the best posters?) but whatever.

Tony thinks I'm a bad person, and I care about that as much as I care about Guinea's upcoming Parliament elections in May 2013.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#92 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:45 PM

This is a recent post on OH. I think it's funny and spot on.

But if I said that to anyone, they would bash me because they disagreed with me.

Sometimes, when stupid things are said, you deserve to be called on it. It doesn't mean you don't want to be disagreed with.,.it means you made a stupid comment and someone called you out on it.

If you don't like it, just stop saying stupid things...it's that simple.

But this goes back to all of these issues....so many people over there blow things out of proportion and that just doesn't need to happen.

It's a shame that TennOs and then Ricker had to hear crap bc of that type of mentality.

What I find funny is that people are/were so intimidated by you.

#93 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

Meh, he called me out a long time ago, when this first all went down, for being a backstabber or whatever. He saw a post I made here basically stating that if all the good OH posters came here, I'd make this my primary internet home.

Obviously this is a completely innocuous statement (why wouldn't ANYONE go to a site that has the best posters?) but whatever.

Tony thinks I'm a bad person, and I care about that as much as I care about Guinea's upcoming Parliament elections in May 2013.

Yep pretty much the same thing here, and then I argued and spawned the infamous "foxhole" quote, which got brought out again the other day, it made me laugh.
  • SammyBirdland likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#94 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:55 PM

What I find funny is that people are/were so intimidated by you.

Yea I know. No one likes talking sports more than me. It's a hobby. That's why I come to these boards.

It's all fun...you may not like my style at times and that's fine...look, I PMed C of C the other day to apologize for a comment I made to him a while ago....I told him that I'm a straight shooter and a lot of people don't like that but just because you don't like it, doesn't mean that what I am saying isn't true. If I am being a dick and someone calls me a dick, should I cry about it or should I just stop being a dick?

People hate hearing the truth and since so many people want to be pc nowadays, they aren't used to hearing someone tell it like it is and when that happens, people bitch and moan about it.

I made friends over there...I sold jewelry to a lot of people over there, including Tony and Weams. I treated them all well and saved them a lot of money. Any of them that met me and dealt with me always knew I treated them very well and that's good enough for me. Those who don't know me and want to complain that I called them out for a stupid comment can continue to complain.

#95 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:58 PM

For eight years, I have spent nearly every day of my life logging onto OH. I don't always post. I certainly don't do a bunch of analysis. But, it was my internet home. Several times a day, I was logging in to see what was going on. Not just for Orioles news -- heck, I got so much info and perspectives from all parts of life. I'll miss some folks over there.

If you would have told me a week ago that I would leave that site on January 5, I would have called you a fool.

But just add me to the "backstabber" list because I sent RZNJ some positive rep with a comment when he posted that Tony had given him neg rep for what I thought was a nonoffensive statement of an opinion. Tony then rips me in a PM. I then wondered, how the heck did he know what I said? Apparently he has so few things to do in his life that he'll monitor private messages when someone makes him mad. And then he takes what you said and makes it into something bigger. Really childish.

I never had an infraction, a neg rep from Tony, nothing for eight years. But then he starts calling me names and defends his monitoring of private messages (I can understand if someone reports an offensive private message -- but just fishing around to start fights -- no). I wasn't going to say anything publicly, but since I came over here and actually read this thread and see that I'm not the only one who has been treated this way by him, well, I say the heck with him. He built a great board, but he'll eventually kill it because he's too much in love with himself.

This "backstabber" hadn't even visited this board until today. I watched as good posters left, and I didn't like that, but I didn't involve myself in the drama. But here I am, a martyr like many of you.

And no, Tony, I didn't let that internet door hit me.

This is the key to it all because Tony would have you believe and probably will have a lot of his members believing that posters over here are a bunch of people with a vendetta, a chip on our shoulders, trying to get back at him or whatever. People need to really take note of the bolded here. This is a person who loved the Hangout, never had an infraction, and who never saw himself leaving but he made one simple "mistake" yesterday. With that, he's completely disrespected and blackballed. As All Star, mweb, DJ and others have said, even if you think you have leash, even if you've been a valuable member of the "community" all it takes it one comment that Tony finds disrespectful. Then, you're not only on his shitlist but he encourages and allows the rest of the board to publically shame you.

#96 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

The best thing that came out of this was when someone posted the link to this thread over there. It really opens people's eyes when they can go read uncensored versions of things. 90% of these people have NO idea what really goes on.
@JeremyMStrain

#97 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

The best thing that came out of this was when someone posted the link to this thread over there. It really opens people's eyes when they can go read uncensored versions of things. 90% of these people have NO idea what really goes on.

It also shows that there are other options. The thought of leaving the OH is pretty scary, at least it was for me, especially when you know you'll be branded a coward traitor troglodyte who can only come back on government holiday amnesty days that are granted by Dear Leader on the years of his choosing. The only thing special about OH is the people. That's it. They barely even have any non-user-generated content. If the users come over here (for free) and do what they do, then it doesn't matter if anyone over there thinks you're a coward traitor troglodyte or whatever.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#98 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,252 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

There is no content by the site. I mean, i loved the site for many years, but frankly BSL has more qualitative and quantitative content now. I don't wanna hate another board or anything but its better now for me inane many aspects.

#99 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

It also shows that there are other options. The thought of leaving the OH is pretty scary, at least it was for me, especially when you know you'll be branded a coward traitor troglodyte who can only come back on government holiday amnesty days that are granted by Dear Leader on the years of his choosing. The only thing special about OH is the people. That's it. They barely even have any non-user-generated content. If the users come over here (for free) and do what they do, then it doesn't matter if anyone over there thinks you're a coward traitor troglodyte or whatever.

Yep. I mean more people are reading over here at least, so we know we have that going for us, but I really think the big reason they don't post here is because they are afraid of the backlash there. They have great volume, no doubt, but the talent is very top heavy over there.
@JeremyMStrain

#100 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:19 PM

but I really think the big reason they don't post here is because they are afraid of the backlash there

It's a brilliant marketing strategy.
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=