#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Easy to do when you're not there to take up for yourself. I'd keep that in mind and just let it go, what does it matter anyway? Those who have engaged in discussion with you over the years (and haven't always been on the wrong side ;)) know that you provided a lot of value.

Yea I know...Just irritates the hell out of me.

If you want to state you don't like what I have to say or how I said it, that's fine...But to lie and make stuff up is pathetic.

#42 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

Yeesh, the Internet drama continues. Kudos to Ricker, I think that was a very fair, true post that highlights a lot of good points.

I stand by why I "left." Frankly, I enjoyed BSL because I was here from somewhat of the very beginning. (This sounds totally egotistical, but I enjoyed having my opinions "read/heard" here. Sometimes, due to the vast amount of posters at OH--which can be a great or not so great thing-- I thought my posts were sometimes never replied to.) Here, rarely do I have a post that isn't responded to. Plus, the whole money thing (though that's changed so that's good), just wasn't worth it.

BSL is great. Stoner has revved up the content by adding new writers for every sport and their analysis and thoughts have been great to read, which really adds to this board's dynamic. Both sites are great, both have their advantages. But I don't have the time to spend on 2 O's/Ravens sites and I think BSL is a better fit for me now.

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:46 AM

I stand by why I "left." Frankly, I enjoyed BSL because I was here from somewhat of the very beginning. (This sounds totally egotistical, but I enjoyed having my opinions "read/heard" here. Sometimes, due to the vast amount of posters at OH--which can be a great or not so great thing-- I thought my posts were sometimes never replied to.) Here, rarely do I have a post that isn't responded to. Plus, the whole money thing (though that's changed so that's good), just wasn't worth it.

Glad to hear the money situation has changed, that's always a good thing! ;) And it's not egotistical at all, I totally get that. Interaction, of any kind, is what reinforces behavior, bad or good.

#44 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Yeesh, the Internet drama continues. Kudos to Ricker, I think that was a very fair, true post that highlights a lot of good points.

BSL is great. Stoner has revved up the content by adding new writers for every sport and their analysis and thoughts have been great to read, which really adds to this board's dynamic. Both sites are great, both have their advantages. But I don't have the time to spend on 2 O's/Ravens sites and I think BSL is a better fit for me now.

Thanks Chris, and that was a great post by Ricker.

I've said multiple times in this thread I thought it was a good gesture by Tony. Best to him and OH.

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,485 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

Same here. I know you and I had some lengthy discussions on the whole college realignment thing over there, but sometimes it did feel like I'd get lost in the wash. Quantity doesn't always mean quality. And while I like to read the O's discussion, I don't actually participate in it as much. And I knew from his prior work that Chris would do a good job of providing a greater breadth of discussion here. I left OH with no bad feelings at all....and only because I felt BSL offered more of what I enjoy, and because many of the people I conversed with before are posting here now.

#46 lordbrook

lordbrook
  • Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

I have not been here for a while because I wanted to take a baseball break and then when I come back I get to be reminded of why I was so irritated with OH in the first place. I never even lurk there and only followed the link from the OP and in no time at all Tony reminds me that he's the reason I left. His dictatorial style leaves me astounded that anyone even visits that site. I had my say when I left there, and my opinion hasn't changed one iota since. I truly don't think he knows what thick skinned means, or perhaps like the apparatchiks did for Stalin, his fawning admirers have created a bubble of non-reality that has skewed his view of the world. The fact that some of those guys are tripping over themselves to laud him and his "grand" gesture just reinforces this idea. It's a GD message board reinstatement, not the pardoning of Nelson Mandela. I don't have any agenda in regards to the OH. I don't care if it triples its membership or goes belly up tomorrow, but the fact that it hasn't gone under just baffles me. I didn't think bullies would survive on the internet but once again I'm wrong. Hows that for a return rant?
  • You Play to Win the Game, Pedro Cerrano and SammyBirdland like this

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm sure Tony is talking about me in reference to being a coward. In particular, because of what I said about RZNJ in post #30 of this thread. I'm not going to respond to him in that thread. It does no good. I'm going to PM him. My guess is he probably just realized ccbird=bnickle and he thinks I was trying to conceal my identity or whatever. I signed up here over a year ago, before there was any bad blood between BSL and OH. Chris asked that we use our names so thats what I did. I never tried to hide who I was as I posted my OH handle a few times here. People who post/posted at both places quickly realized who I was the same person. I'm not going to mention any other names but we all know there are people that are current members of that board that have come here and posted their frustrations with Tony and or OH while avoiding that confrontation over there. I think a lot of us that want/wanted to be members of both boards but realize its suicide to publically question Tony over there. I'll say again that I respect what mweb, AllStar and others have done as well but they pretty much knew they were commiting suicide when they did what they did. I didn't see the value in doing that as I prefered to be a part of both boards. If thats cowardly, so be it. I guess there is a thin line between being a coward and being smart.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:11 PM

Sorry BNick if I unintentionally drew a connection, or attention to that post. I don't think what you said was cowardly at all though. Not one bit. You said pretty much exactly what you said in post #30 in the threads on the Hangout when all this went down (IIRC), and I don't think it's bashing anyone anyway.

#49 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:24 PM

I'm sure Tony is talking about me in reference to being a coward. In particular, because of what I said about RZNJ in post #30 of this thread. I'm not going to respond to him in that thread. It does no good. I'm going to PM him. My guess is he probably just realized ccbird=bnickle and he thinks I was trying to conceal my identity or whatever. I signed up here over a year ago, before there was any bad blood between BSL and OH. Chris asked that we use our names so thats what I did. I never tried to hide who I was as I posted my OH handle a few times here. People who post/posted at both places quickly realized who I was the same person. I'm not going to mention any other names but we all know there are people that are current members of that board that have come here and posted their frustrations with Tony and or OH.

There should be a place to vent frustrations. Tony's made it very clear that if you have a problem with anything that goes against what he thinks, even if you offer it privately, too bad and don't let the door hit you. That's why his constant refrain about growing a thick skin is laughable.

Hell, the fact that he has to keep saying that is proof that what gets said about him affects him to some degree. Only instead of being honest and respectful and allowing reasonable venting to prevent blow-ups, he discourages and silences dissent while demanding that people constantly thank him for allowing them to post there. He actually called someone out in that very thread for essentially not saying thanks enough.

How others don't see that pattern is difficult to believe.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

Sorry BNick if I unintentionally drew a connection, or attention to that post. I don't think what you said was cowardly at all though. Not one bit. You said pretty much exactly what you said in post #30 in the threads on the Hangout when all this went down (IIRC), and I don't think it's bashing anyone anyway.

No, you did nothing wrong. I think Tony made the connection before you posted. He first brought up the "cowards" yesterday. Again, I'm writing Tony a PM. I don;t know how it will go and no matter how it goes it'll be private between myself and Tony. I'll say this publically here and I'll say it to Tony in the PM. OH has been a big part of my life for a long time. I thank Tony for giving me that forum. No matter what happens it'll still be a part of my life in some way even if I'm only a lurker.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Btw, those saying OH has as good a conversation as ever fail to realize that the tone is always going to be better when they are WINNInG. This was the first year in the history of the HO(at least in its current form) that the Orioles were a winning franchise and in the playoffs. That's going to put everyone in a much better mood. So, I think that has masked some of the issues that some of the posters aren't seeing.

#52 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

I posted there probably 6 years ago for a week and quit, wonder if I should check it out again :lol:

It's an interesting place, I will leave it at that.

#53 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,460 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

Btw, those saying OH has as good a conversation as ever fail to realize that the tone is always going to be better when they are WINNInG.

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for detailed, in-depth, nuts and bolts statistical analysis, you get more of that here. If you want talk that isn't as deep but is maybe a little wider, OH has you covered. I tend to stick more with OH for Orioles Talk and this place for everything else, though I'll certainly wander both ways if a topic tickles my fancy.

I'm so glad that most of the Terp/college BB followers have congregated over here. There are a few who try at OH, but those forums are just pretty much dead, sadly. And the threads that do get traction are usually just rehashes of the Gary Williams debate.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:37 PM

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for detailed, in-depth, nuts and bolts statistical analysis, you get more of that here. If you want talk that isn't as deep but is maybe a little wider, OH has you covered. I tend to stick more with OH for Orioles Talk and this place for everything else, though I'll certainly wander both ways if a topic tickles my fancy.

I'm so glad that most of the Terp/college BB followers have congregated over here. There are a few who try at OH, but those forums are just pretty much dead, sadly. And the threads that do get traction are usually just rehashes of the Gary Williams debate.

Agreed with this take. That's what I meant when I said the quality of the conversation has gone down and that there are a lot of fan posting there now...which isn't a bad thing but posting based off of emotion usually means less pure quality.

CA-Oriole said it best in that thread...he has to spend less time looking stuff up..exactly. He is now less challenged, which was my basic point.

It doesn't make OH bad by any means...just that the pure quality isn't as strong. That's not a bias or a lie or anything like that...it's just factual.

#55 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Wow, look at OldFan coming back to OH.

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

And liking Nick Markakis. Jesus, just when I thought I'd seen it all. :lol:

#57 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

And liking Nick Markakis. Jesus, just when I thought I'd seen it all. :lol:

And he is right that Nick is misplaced as a #3 hitter.

#58 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

Kind of nice to hear from both yuds and alsigko too.

#59 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:28 PM

Kind of nice to hear from both yuds and alsigko too.

I don't really remember Alsigko that much.

I remember the name and know he was around a long time ago but I don't remember what he was like as a poster or anything like that.

#60 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

TennO'sFan is calling it quits due to apparently not liking something in that thread. He just posted a "Goodbye" in the Hangout Club. I always liked him, he seems like a good dude.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=