LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

http://baltimorespor...talk-episode-8/

The Sunday Holiday Edition of Bird Talk. 8-)

00:01:09 - Orioles Trade Chips and Player Values

00:25:54 - Trade Rumors

00:48:05 - Prospect Tools List Review

#2 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Good stuff guys.

I think Lance and Rob may have to go at it on MBW regarding Manny's position. ;)

And I'll be glad to debate Biggio's HOF credentials with you without even mentioning his 3,000 hits milestone.

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:45 PM

Good stuff guys.

I think Lance and Rob may have to go at it on MBW regarding Manny's position. ;)

And I'll be glad to debate Biggio's HOF credentials with you without even mentioning his 3,000 hits milestone.

Haven't had a chance to listen yet with all the holiday craziness. I'll try to get to it tomorrow though since you've piqued my curiosity. I might wanna get in on this positional argument ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#4 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

Haven't had a chance to listen yet with all the holiday craziness. I'll try to get to it tomorrow though since you've piqued my curiosity. I might wanna get in on this positional argument ;)

Well I know you and Rob have gone back and forth on it before. I can see both sides and for me it mostly depends on the options to play next to Machado.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Well I know you and Rob have gone back and forth on it before. I can see both sides and for me it mostly depends on the options to play next to Machado.

Yeah ultimately it comes down to the same thing for me. I just think he's a little better at 3B and you aren't going to find anyone for 3B that can offset the Hardy to Manny change.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,643 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

I agreed with Tucker on pretty much everything. Sorry Lance!

#7 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I agreed with Tucker on pretty much everything. Sorry Lance!

:shock:
ugh..

#8 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,643 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Still it was a great show. There's always next week.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Really disagree with the talk about how you shouldn't deal Tillman.

End of the day, it all depends on what his value is and what he brings back in return and if what he brings back is worth more to the team than Tillman is.

I also think it depends on how you define value in terms of what these guys are bringing back in trade.

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:52 PM

Overrating Schoop IMO. The idea that we shouldn't look to trade him at all is way off IMO.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:01 PM

Machado being better at third long term doesn't mean he can't be above average at SS and provide us MORE value at SS vs third.

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Peralta's UZR the last 2 years is 9.9..at SS.

Pretty surprising.

I offer them Hardy, Strop and a guy like Avery for Porcello and Peralta...move Peralta to third.

#13 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:22 PM

I do think fans tend to overrate Hardy BUT I am not sure how much he is overvalued by fans and there is a distinction.

No one thinks he is bringing back some top level prospect or anything like that but you would think he is worth a solid package because of exactly what was talked about...a lack of good SS around MLB. I will say that i do think Buck and Duq probably place more trade value on him than they should and that could be why he hasn't been moved(going back to the podcast question about that)

Where I think fans overrate him is the idea that we can't replace him. Thats wrong IMO.

I like Hardy a lot and feel he can be an elite SS but at this point, you have to think he is what he is and that is a 2-3.5 WAR SS who is signed to a very team friendly contract.

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:48 PM

Peralta's UZR the last 2 years is 9.9..at SS.

Pretty surprising.

I offer them Hardy, Strop and a guy like Avery for Porcello and Peralta...move Peralta to third.

Yet another illustration of why defensive stats don't work.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

Yet another illustration of why defensive stats don't work.

I dont tend to disagree with this...but what the statsd do likely tell you is that he has maybe gotten into better shape, had better range and improved defensively.

I don't think he is as good as they say but perhaps he isn't a butcher and could be good enough at third to justify the move...in other words, we don't lose anything by moving MM to SS and Peralta to third if Jhonny's bat can be better than Hardy, which it has been in some years.

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

I dont tend to disagree with this...but what the statsd do likely tell you is that he has maybe gotten into better shape, had better range and improved defensively.

I don't think he is as good as they say but perhaps he isn't a butcher and could be good enough at third to justify the move...in other words, we don't lose anything by moving MM to SS and Peralta to third if Jhonny's bat can be better than Hardy, which it has been in some years.

It contradicts what ive seen enough to say I cant put any stock into it. For me itd almost be like saying Reynolds had a positive UZR at 3rd. Some guys for whatever reason just dont add up at all. Others it gets pretty good but until they can figure out why some are all over the place I take them with a grain of salt.

Either way when you are trying to make an intelligent analysis of a player no one wants to accept hes good because ive watched him and say so. People want numbers that cant be argued so they are always going to cite metrics. Just cant wait til they work out the bugs.
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=