#1 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

I'll say this, there are probably folks on various New York Giants' message boards that are feeling very similar to us today. The Giants got their tails kicked in by Atlanta yesterday, 34-0. Now the biggest difference is that the Giants were playing in the Georgia Dome where Matt Ryan is traditionally dominant.

Still, the Giants are feeling very much like us and as bad as we looked yesterday, Sunday is certainly a winnable game. It will come down to the o-line, once again, going up against an elite pass rush. The Giants pass rush isn't as good as it once was, in fact they are league average in sacks, but they still have good pass rushers. Hopefully Yanda can return and we can put the division away and use week 17 to get healthy (if we have the division locked up I don't mind rolling over for Cincy, especially if it helps keep Pitt out of the post-season).
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:30 AM

The Giants and Ravens are two very similar teams, except they clearly have the better offense.

We rank 26th in overall defense, they rank 28th.
We rank 22nd in pass defense, they rank 28th.
We rank 27th in rush defense, they rank 23rd.
We rank 14th in points allowed, they rank 12th.

They can go in to SF, crush the 49ers, go into Lambeau and crush the Packers. You just don't know what you're going to get. That focused, dominant Giants team... or the other team that is very much so middle of the road.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

I think Pedro and Ricker basically nailed it.

The Ravens should have a very conservative offense against the Giants. Even if you spread the field with 3 and 4 wide, Flacco will not be able to get rid of the ball quick enough to find his WR's before he is hit.

Use 2 TE's, (Bajema if Dickson can not go) and utilize Leach. Pound the ball between the tackles (hopefully Pierce can play).

I'd be trying to run the ball 30-35 times, especially with T. Smith dealing with his concussion.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I think Pedro and Ricker basically nailed it.

The Ravens should have a very conservative offense against the Giants. Even if you spread the field with 3 and 4 wide, Flacco will not be able to get rid of the ball quick enough to find his WR's before he is hit.

Use 2 TE's, (Bajema if Dickson can not go) and utilize Leach. Pound the ball between the tackles (hopefully Pierce can play).

I'd be trying to run the ball 30-35 times, especially with T. Smith dealing with his concussion.

I agree. This is the best way to overcome their pass rush.

Hopefully Yanda is back, that will be key.

#5 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:22 AM

I mean I think the Ravens will go all out. We'll play well. I just don't know if that will be enough. It sucks to say it but we're in a position with the injuries, with the mediocre overall talent level of the team, that I think we could just get straight up beat despite generally playing well and or hard or whatever. I think this game is about which Giants team shows up. In a lot of ways, it's about them. If they bring their A game, I just don't see us winning.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:08 AM

Baltimore Beatdown: Ravens / Giants Preview
http://www.baltimore...s-preview-notes

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

CSN Baltimore: Quick fixes to the Ravens offense
http://www.csnbaltim...-ravens-offense

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

The thing that scares me about this game the most isn't how the Ravens come to play at all... it's which Giants team shows up. They are pretty much in a must-win situation here, this is typically when they play their best.

That, and their front 4 has been giving me nightmares all week... and I'm not even Osemele or Oher, who are the ones who will be getting killed all day Sunday...

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:38 PM

The thing that scares me about this game the most isn't how the Ravens come to play at all... it's which Giants team shows up. They are pretty much in a must-win situation here, this is typically when they play their best.

That, and their front 4 has been giving me nightmares all week... and I'm not even Osemele or Oher, who are the ones who will be getting killed all day Sunday...

Run the no huddle and run the ball...that will slow down the pass rush.

Gotta execute though.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Russell Street Report: Ellerbe nearing return
http://russellstreet...m-ankle-injury/

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

CSN Baltimore: T.Smith, Yanda return
http://www.csnbaltim...ack-injury-list

#12 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

We're the underdogs again. To a team with a worse record coming off a horrible loss. Granted, it's just a betting line, but it tells me what people generally think of the Ravens. Hope we can step up and get this win but I really feel like we are at the mercy of which Giants team decides to show up.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,825 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

CSN Baltimore: T.Smith, Yanda return
http://www.csnbaltim...ack-injury-list

For Torrey to practice at all, does that mean he has to have passed his concussion tests? If he passes the tests, I think he definitely plays.

Hopefully Yanda, Pollard, and Ellerbe are back as well.

I think if we get healthy and fix the line, that the team can at least get back to where we were a few weeks ago and have a decent shot in both of the next games and in the playoffs. If we stay injured and the line stays a mess, we've got little chance of winning any of them.

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:27 AM

For Torrey to practice at all, does that mean he has to have passed his concussion tests? If he passes the tests, I think he definitely plays.

Hopefully Yanda, Pollard, and Ellerbe are back as well.

I think if we get healthy and fix the line, that the team can at least get back to where we were a few weeks ago and have a decent shot in both of the next games and in the playoffs. If we stay injured and the line stays a mess, we've got little chance of winning any of them.

I've got zero faith that we'll fix the line. Harbs hasn't indicated any forthcoming changes at all, and has had his head stuck in the sand with Oher/Osemele/Reid/McKinnie, and how to best position them. Who knows, maybe it was Cam, and Caldwell will make some changes there, but I just don't see it happening.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Ellerbe, Dickson and Yanda are among the guys I think are likely to return. And like the Giants, I'd expect Ray Lewis back Sunday too

Zrebiec doesn't expect Pollard back though.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:37 PM

Zrebiec doesn't expect Pollard back though.

If they're healthy enough to be effective, Yanda and Ellerbe being back would be a HUGE lift to this team on Sunday.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:54 AM

CSN Baltimore: National Media Predictions
http://www.csnbaltim...s-ravens-giants

#18 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:01 AM

CSN Baltimore: National Media Predictions
http://www.csnbaltim...s-ravens-giants

So all 7 national analysts picked the Giants to win there, and the Ravens are dogs in Vegas this week, AT HOME. The Giants lost 34-0 in Atlanta last week. This just goes to how how much the injuries, and poor execution by those healthy have killed this team the past few weeks. Crazy.

#19 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

I've been going back and forth on this all week. On the one hand, the Ravens just can't lose a 3rd straight game at M&T, and a 4th overall. The Giants are reeling, and got killed by Atlanta last week, despite needing to win to keep their lead on the red hot Skins.

On the other, we are just so banged up, Flacco is playing bad, and the Giants are quite literally in a must win situation, which is historically when they've stepped up.

I may change my mind again at 3:30 tomorrow afternoon, but I think I'm going Giants in this one.

#20 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

Logically the Giants should be the favorites, which they are in Vegas. Despite their issues, they're cleary the more talented team right now. We'll see what happens, but this Ravens team is really going to have to step up to win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=