HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:31 PM

CNN: Children and adults gunned down in Connecticut school massacre

http://news.blogs.cn...hool/?hpt=hp_t1

First of all, Chris if you don't think this is appropriate, feel free to delete it. I'm not going to turn this into a gun control debate, I have my thoughts on that matter, which I'll keep to myself here.

Sadly in the wake of many previous school shootings, I'm no longer shocked by this event. It can happen anywhere, anytime, etc.

Just puts into perspective when were discussing/debating/arguing sports, there's way more serious matters in this world.
@levineps

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:37 PM

Jesus, this is awful.

#3 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

CNN: Children and adults gunned down in Connecticut school massacre

http://news.blogs.cn...hool/?hpt=hp_t1

First of all, Chris if you don't think this is appropriate, feel free to delete it. I'm not going to turn this into a gun control debate, I have my thoughts on that matter, which I'll keep to myself here.

Sadly in the wake of many previous school shootings, I'm no longer shocked by this event. It can happen anywhere, anytime, etc.

Just puts into perspective when were discussing/debating/arguing sports, there's way more serious matters in this world.

Thanks for including this in your OP, agree that its inappropriate right now.

Senseless and terrible stuff. Who murders children?

#4 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

I'm reading that the shooter is dead (apparently the father of a student) and they've taken a second person into custody?
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#5 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

Wow. From what I have read, over 20 people dead, including at least 13 children.
@MKlein76

#6 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,776 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Ugh, This is absolutely awful. :(

#7 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

One news source is reporting 27 dead, at least 18 children. This is ridiculously sad.

@AdamWolff

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,520 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:10 PM

Agreed about not discussing gun control here. That immediately gets political, and does not belong in this venue.

What a horrible tragedy.

#9 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

From what I'm seeing, his father was evidently found dead in his home and his mother was a teacher at the school, among those deceased. Wow.

@AdamWolff

#10 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:58 PM

http://www.nytimes.c... ... ol.html?hp

The gunman, who was believed to be in his 20s, walked into a classroom where his mother was a teacher. He shot and killed her and then shot 18 students in the classroom. He also shot seven other adults, and then killed himself inside the school. The shooting ranks among the worst in recent United States history.

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:23 PM

From what I'm seeing, his father was evidently found dead in his home and his mother was a teacher at the school, among those deceased. Wow.

Okay, not his father, his brother. This is just awful.

@AdamWolff

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

No words.

Connecticut is a very rich state too...doesn't just happen in poor areas.

People really suck.

#13 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:50 PM

Apparently, in addition to many media outlets posting links to Twitter and Facebook pages of the wrong Ryan Lanza, it's coming out now that Ryan Lanza is actually in custody and that his brother Adam was the shooter. The amount of misinformation going around today is amazing to me.

@AdamWolff

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:52 PM

Apparently, in addition to many media outlets posting links to Twitter and Facebook pages of the wrong Ryan Lanza, it's coming out now that Ryan Lanza is actually in custody and that his brother Adam was the shooter. The amount of misinformation going around today is amazing to me.

If some journalists spent the same amount of energy about being accurate as they do about breaking the news here, it be better for all.
@levineps

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:04 PM

Just found out one of my buddies went to this elementary school. Crazy.

#16 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:04 PM

Patton Oswalt has it right-

"@pattonoswalt: Dear media: Any way you could, JUST ONCE, not publicize the shooter's face & name, so as not to inspire more of these insects?"

Instead, they fall all over themselves to be first, make false reports, and publicize all they can about the perp.

#17 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:13 PM

I can't even....I mean first thought is that my daughter will be in school next year, and then the next is how mad I am getting at the media for sensationalizing this crap. HOLY JEBUS, shut up. We got the story, you don't need to go 24/7 live feed about it and keep trying to interview kids and parents as they are being picked up. If that was MY kid whose picture was plastered all over the tv right now I'd be suing the HELL out of the station for using my kid's likeness without permission.
  • Icterus galbula likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,668 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:04 PM

Everytime I think there can not be a worse story, I am proven wrong. This is horrible. As a parent, I am not sure I could send my kids back in that school.
As some mentioned the media should be ashamed of the way they rush false information out.
@mikeghg

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Another reason why the role of the parent is so critical...and unfortunately, so many don't take it as seriously as they should.

#20 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

Another reason why the role of the parent is so critical...and unfortunately, so many don't take it as seriously as they should.

I had great parents and my brother turned out really loony. Sometimes it doesn't matter. There will always be lunatics. We just need to do a better job keeping guns away from them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=