66 replies to this topic

#61 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

I don't want to get too political, but I think both sides are willing to have the discussion on gun control after this tragedy. I hope they can.

My quick back of the napkin fix going forward would be to 1) ban sales of all assault rifles. 2) offer rewards for turning in assault rifles bought after the ban was lifted in 2004. 3) stricter background checks -- no gun sales to ANYONE who has committed a felony or has a history of mental illness, or mental illness in the immediate family. 4) harsher sentencing for illegal sales of firearms or possession of an illegally acquired firearm. 5) future school construction must have exits to the outside for each classroom. 6) current schools must implement exit strategies during shootings -- no more lock downs. 7) armed guards at schools with no direct exits in every classroom.

It won't be easy, and I know that changes will likely be expensive. But as much as we complain about taxes and how that money is spent, I don't think anyone would complain about their taxes going toward making schools safer for our children.

Obama has the opportunity to really make a change in his second term, one that could take the focus off of his health care reforms and other questionable policies. Although I voted for the other guy, I am really rooting for him.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

I think there should also be rather strict punishments for the registered owner of a gun who allows someone to commit a crime with said gun. Obviously this child's mother paid the ultimate price, but had she not, she should have some accountability with that. My family hunts, always have, always will (I don't care for it personaly). But I've never once, growing up and now when I visit my parents house, seen one of their guns or even knives laying around. They're ALWAYS locked in the gun vault, and I have no idea what the combo is.

#63 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,723 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:18 AM

I think there should also be rather strict punishments for the registered owner of a gun who allows someone to commit a crime with said gun. Obviously this child's mother paid the ultimate price, but had she not, she should have some accountability with that. My family hunts, always have, always will (I don't care for it personaly). But I've never once, growing up and now when I visit my parents house, seen one of their guns or even knives laying around. They're ALWAYS locked in the gun vault, and I have no idea what the combo is.

I agree to a certain extent, but even if someone is safe about locking up guns, and does everything they're supposed to, there are still ways for someone to get to them if they want them.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

I agree to a certain extent, but even if someone is safe about locking up guns, and does everything they're supposed to, there are still ways for someone to get to them if they want them.

And there will always be... even with the extent of changes you proposed (most of which I agree with). But if negligence can be proven in the case of a registered gun owner, then they need to be accountable for that.

#65 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:37 AM

Right, and if they can't they will make a bomb out of fertilizer, set someplace on fire, crash a bus into something...there are countless other ways people will cause mass disaster if that's really what they are after. The bigger issue is doing something about these mentally unstable people and not ignoring serious mental illness and chalking it up to "freedom of expression" or "quirkiness".
@JeremyMStrain

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,555 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Right, and if they can't they will make a bomb out of fertilizer, set someplace on fire, crash a bus into something...there are countless other ways people will cause mass disaster if that's really what they are after. The bigger issue is doing something about these mentally unstable people and not ignoring serious mental illness and chalking it up to "freedom of expression" or "quirkiness".

There's also the issue that there is a ultimately a lot of subjectivity and discretion when diagnosing a mental illness.

As for your other point, I agree completely - I don't think there is a measure out there that would completely eliminate this type of stuff... but the more complicated the end game is for the perp, the more likely it is that they will get caught in the planning stage.

#67 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,472 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:42 AM

I don't want to get too political, but I think both sides are willing to have the discussion on gun control after this tragedy. I hope they can.

People can and should have that debate. Not here though.
  • Oriole85 likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=