#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:06 PM

I'm going to be disappointed if Arrieta is not part of the bullpen.

He will be...whether it is right out of ST or soon after.

We all tend to get wrapped up in the team that comes north but that team changes so much...and sometimes very quickly.

And if he isn't part of that pen, he has himself to blame....he should dominate out of the pen, if he doesn't, its on him, his preparation and his inability to adjust to the move to the pen.

#22 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:18 PM

I question Arrieta's ability to mentally handle any MLB role whether as a starter or reliever. He's got the pure talent to be successful in either role but I really question the mental side of it. That said, I'm not sure a move to the pen really makes that much of a difference.

#23 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 06:43 PM

Which begs the question, why?

I don't think he's earned a spot. We have enough guys in front of him who are out of options and need to be kept on the team. I have no problem with Arrieta starting at Norfolk as either a starter (most probable) or as a reliever and coming up when we need him in either spot, depending on how he's doing at the time. Arrieta clearly still was not in a good place at the end of the season. He needs to get his act together even to be the shutdown relever many expect him to be.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I don't think he's earned a spot. We have enough guys in front of him who are out of options and need to be kept on the team. I have no problem with Arrieta starting at Norfolk as either a starter (most probable) or as a reliever and coming up when we need him in either spot, depending on how he's doing at the time. Arrieta clearly still was not in a good place at the end of the season. He needs to get his act together even to be the shutdown relever many expect him to be.

Mainly because I continue to believe in his talent, and like him better as opposed to the other potential options. Also because I don't think him going back to AAA and having success there means anything. If he's not capable of having success at the ML level out of the pen, then we will know he is never going to harness his ability.

I just want to see him given the opportunity (well more to the fact, I want to see him earn the opportunity in the spring) to prove what he is going to be (either way).

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,657 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think Arrieta and Hunter both could develop into power arms in our bullpen. Like SG said, it really does not matter who comes north but who is there when the season heats up. Our BP depth helped us get by the dog days of August and that helped fuel the playoff run.
@mikeghg

#26 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:15 PM

Agreed. Arrieta needs to earn a spot. Nothing at the big league level should be handed to him.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 December 2012 - 10:18 PM

I really like the upside of Hunter being a beast out of the pen.

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

I think he can be a solid RP, not a beast. It was awesome seeing him dial the fastball up to 98 out of the pen but he still only had that pitch. He would mix the cutter in as well but he had no knockout pitch.
  • RichardZ likes this

#29 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I think you are going to be disappointed. Even at 96-97 his fastball is straight and he really has no 2nd go to pitch. I think he can be good but I don't think he'll be anything close to a beast, unless you consider Jim Johnson a beast. I think that might be Hunter's upside if he could ever keep his fastball down consistently. They should have Hunter experiment with a splitter because he really needs to develop a 2nd pitch. His breaking pitch and changeup are less than average.

#30 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think you are going to be disappointed. Even at 96-97 his fastball is straight and he really has no 2nd go to pitch. I think he can be good but I don't think he'll be anything close to a beast, unless you consider Jim Johnson a beast. I think that might be Hunter's upside if he could ever keep his fastball down consistently. They should have Hunter experiment with a splitter because he really needs to develop a 2nd pitch. His breaking pitch and changeup are less than average.

I have little doubt that he will miss more bats and develop a better second pitch.

He can concentrate on just 2 pitches as opposed to several as a starter.

His K rate is much higher in his limited innings out of the pen vs the rotation in his career. I think that keeps up. 7-9 k rate, under 2.5 walk rate are the types of numbers I expect.

#31 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,909 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:44 PM

I fear that the book is out on Strop, and his lack of confidence makes him a guy who if you can deal him for a prospect or some AAA filler, you make that deal. Get another vet. I think Arrieta could fit nicely into the back end of the bullpen if he can get his velocity up a bit. I also worry Ayala is another one of those guys who has a good year, and then he makes you scratch your head the following year, as we've seen so many times with relievers from year to year, so I'd look for someone to possibly replace him. I'd START with him, sure, but I'd have someone ready...either that, or deal him AND Strop both and go with some "new blood".

If there are further trades, obviously this answer would change.

Based on who is here today, who is in your 7 man bullpen?

I would go with:

Johnson
O'Day
Strop
Ayala
Patton
Matusz
Arrieta

McFarland wouldn't make my roster, and unless a trade could be worked out, would be offered back.

I think you can make a good case, for S.Johnson or Hunter over Ayala (or possibly Arrieta), but I would have both Johnson and Hunter starting at AAA. I would want to use them as swing starters, guys that could come up and make an odd start or two, or provide multiple innings in relief.

Arrieta could be in that same boat, but I'd like to see him be part of the ML roster, and I think the team will commit to having him in the bullpen going forward - as opposed to sending him back to AAA to start.

I think Wada will be used this year, as both a starter, and out of the pen. I think even if he is physically ready to go at the end of ST, they will likely send him to extended ST. The intent trying to be to delay a roster decision with him.

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 30 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Strop for AAA filler? That's crazy.

You are basically saying, we should trade him for anything we can get.

#33 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:57 AM

I have little doubt that he will miss more bats and develop a better second pitch.

He can concentrate on just 2 pitches as opposed to several as a starter.

His K rate is much higher in his limited innings out of the pen vs the rotation in his career. I think that keeps up. 7-9 k rate, under 2.5 walk rate are the types of numbers I expect.

This is definitely one of your stronger character traits. LOL

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... strom.html

Lindstrom?

#35 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Lindstrom would have to fall into our laps for 1.5M or less. If we did sign him, DD would pretty much be forced to make a move to make room for him in the bullpen at some point. I doubt we sign Lindstrom. Still think the O's wind up with Saunders though.

#36 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:52 PM

Lindstrom would have to fall into our laps for 1.5M or less. If we did sign him, DD would pretty much be forced to make a move to make room for him in the bullpen at some point. I doubt we sign Lindstrom. Still think the O's wind up with Saunders though.

Deal Johnson for Porcello and move another young arm or 2 and sign Lindstrom? Potentially their thinking?

#37 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

Interesting note from Buster Olney about Matusz:

One of the interesting decisions the Orioles will face in spring training will be what to do with left-hander Brian Matusz, who has generally struggled as a starter -- but had moments of total dominance out of the bullpen down the stretch. It might be that Matusz is a modern version of Arthur Rhodes and is just more comfortable pitching out of the bullpen; he told me during the playoffs that he really loved throwing in relief.

@JeffLongBP

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,463 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Interesting note from Buster Olney about Matusz:

Yeah, it's something we've mentioned numerous times. Matusz said repeatedly at the end of last season that he liked coming out of the pen, because it was easier for him to focus - as he had to prepare to be ready each day.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=