#21 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

That's where you'll get in trouble, that's the strength of our defense. It's over the LB in the spot in front of the secondary is our weak spot. TE's eat us up. The run defense is strong too, but the pass D is garbage as long as you don't let Hall jump routes on you.

Well, I would expect Pitta to have a big game then. He's more than capable, but has been the focus of opposing defenses of late. Flacco's arm strength would lead me to believe that Hall won't be as effect Hall won't be able to jump routes with ease, but it's possible. It'll be interesting to see if they take away the deep ball like they did vs. NY last night. Victor Cruz had the one big reception, but it wasn't a fly route like the game winner in the game up in the Meadowlands. If they do, I think Pitta and Boldin have big days. If they don't, Smith is a thread, but Flacco will have to make the throws. He's been pretty inconsistent with the long ball this year for some reason.

#22 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

The one area that the Ravens could really excel at - if they're smart - is exploiting the Skins' poor coverage of TE's. They've allowed TE's throughout the season to have some pretty decent games again them, especially in the red zone.

#23 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Well, I would expect Pitta to have a big game then. He's more than capable, but has been the focus of opposing defenses of late. Flacco's arm strength would lead me to believe that Hall won't be as effect Hall won't be able to jump routes with ease, but it's possible. It'll be interesting to see if they take away the deep ball like they did vs. NY last night. Victor Cruz had the one big reception, but it wasn't a fly route like the game winner in the game up in the Meadowlands. If they do, I think Pitta and Boldin have big days. If they don't, Smith is a thread, but Flacco will have to make the throws. He's been pretty inconsistent with the long ball this year for some reason.

Yeah, this game will be solely on Flacco's shoulders. He's gotta hit his spots. If they don't move the chains through the air, it's going to give RG3 too many chances on offense.
@JeremyMStrain

#24 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:24 PM

Oh every response I make will be of the video variety on this topic. 8-)

Video responses required from now on for everyone on here!
@levineps

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:49 PM

Its because we need to control the ball and keep it out of RG3's hands, that saying those 3 are moot points is wrong.

I think the defense doing their thing is way more important, just like it was last week (though I think the Skins on the road are a tougher opponent than the Steelers w/o Ben at home). I really think we lost to the Steelers not because of Cam and not getting the ball to Ray (though that hurt) but because even if they were down on the TOP clock and with a short field once or twice, the defense still shouldn't be giving up 20+ points to Charlie Batch. That's embarrassing and that's why we lost.

Do a decent job on defense and we win. Play awful and we lose. Sure, the offense could obviously help out the defense a lot by controlling the clock and/or scoring a lot of points. Maybe even enough so that we win comfortably even if the D has another bad day. But for me, the key component which could go either way is the overall performance of the defense. Slow down their running game, contain RGIII, and don't get beat deep on a bomb. Hopefully force a couple turnovers. I've got a strong feeling about what we'll get from the offense, and it's pretty decent. The defensive performance is the wild card that I'm concerned about.

#26 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

That's where you'll get in trouble, that's the strength of our defense. It's over the LB in the spot in front of the secondary is our weak spot. TE's eat us up. The run defense is strong too, but the pass D is garbage as long as you don't let Hall jump routes on you.

Yes, DC is good against the run.

However, they haven't played a lot of great running teams either and its not like they are only allowing 70 yards a game or something really stout like that.

Either way, we need to get the ball in Rice's hands...Screens and things like that are just an extension of the running game.

#27 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:51 PM

I think the defense doing their thing is way more important, just like it was last week (though I think the Skins on the road are a tougher opponent than the Steelers w/o Ben at home). I really think we lost to the Steelers not because of Cam and not getting the ball to Ray (though that hurt) but because even if they were down on the TOP clock and with a short field once or twice, the defense still shouldn't be giving up 20+ points to Charlie Batch. That's embarrassing and that's why we lost.

Do a decent job on defense and we win. Play awful and we lose. Sure, the offense could obviously help out the defense a lot by controlling the clock and/or scoring a lot of points. Maybe even enough so that we win comfortably even if the D has another bad day. But for me, the key component which could go either way is the overall performance of the defense. Slow down their running game, contain RGIII, and don't get beat deep on a bomb. Hopefully force a couple turnovers. I've got a strong feeling about what we'll get from the offense, and it's pretty decent. The defensive performance is the wild card that I'm concerned about.

Part of the reason they let up those long drives is them being tired, particularly in the second half.

#28 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,973 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:32 PM

Part of the reason they let up those long drives is them being tired, particularly in the second half.

That was Charlie Batch at quarterback. He's terrible. I don't care if everyone on the team ran a 10k an hour before kickoff, he shouldn't be able to beat any respectable NFL defense whose offense has given them 20 points.

I blame the defense for most of the problems with the Ravens this season, not the offense. Though I do think that the offense is more easily fixed or improved (via scheme and gameplan) than the defense is, and it's similarly unacceptable for Cam and Harbaugh to continue having these obvious issues with getting Ray Rice the ball (or at least the threat of him getting the ball, i.e. playaction).

Overall though, I just don't think the remainder of this regular season really matters. Unless they just implode, which I think is incredibly unlikely, and lose the division, they'll get a home playoff game. This team isn't good enough to reach the Super Bowl just playing their normal game. Last year's was, but not this year. So it doesn't make a huge difference to me if we're the #2 or #4 seed. The only way the team makes the Super Bowl is if they get hot in the playoffs. That could happen just as easily as the 4th seed as it could as the 2nd, and the road to get there is less important than the level at which the team plays in January. So now, I'm really just hoping to catch fire once we're in the playoffs, rather than looking for small positive signs from the remaining few games.

#29 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Well, it was nice knowing you Lance.

:lol: Just be prepared for the wrath of BNick... them there fighting words (RE: Flacco).

Haha. I didn't even criticize Joe and I got lambasted so yeah, watch what you say about Joe when BNickle is around.

#30 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

That first video was one of the worst I've ever seen :lol: I like that Lance is pushing buttons though...could be a real good game.

#31 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

I guess this is what happens when the Skins finally hit .500 in December. Button pushing, intent being good natured or not, the last thing Ravens fans want to get pulled into is talking trash with a team we play every 4 years. Especially, one as irrelevant as the Skins over the last 20 years.

As far as this game goes, I think it's pretty much a toss up. That offense should be able to tear up our slow, overaggressive defense so it'll come down to our offense controlling the ball and putting up points of their own. Usually, when the Ravens play a really bad game one week they bounce back strong the next week. Plus, the Skins are coming off a big divisional Monday night win. That all could mean nothing or it could be a letdown game for them. I know one thing, a team that loses to the Panthers at home can lose to anybody at anytime.
  • SportsGuy likes this

#32 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:45 PM

I guess this is what happens when the Skins finally hit .500 in December. Button pushing, intent being good natured or not, the last thing Ravens fans want to get pulled into is talking trash with a team we play every 4 years. Especially, one as irrelevant as the Skins over the last 20 years.

As far as this game goes, I think it's pretty much a toss up. That offense should be able to tear up our slow, overaggressive defense so it'll come down to our offense controlling the ball and putting up points of their own. Usually, when the Ravens play a really bad team one week they bounce back strong the next week. Plus, the Skins are coming off a big divisional Monday night win. That all could mean nothing or it could be a letdown game for them. I know one thing, a team that loses to the Panthers at home can lose to anybody at anytime.

Hey, don't blame all of us, we didn't all stoop to that level (yeah I'm looking at you Lance)
@JeremyMStrain

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:51 PM

As far as this game goes, I think it's pretty much a toss up. That offense should be able to tear up our slow, overaggressive defense so it'll come down to our offense controlling the ball and putting up points of their own. Usually, when the Ravens play a really bad game one week they bounce back strong the next week. Plus, the Skins are coming off a big divisional Monday night win. That all could mean nothing or it could be a letdown game for them. I know one thing, a team that loses to the Panthers at home can lose to anybody at anytime.

Says the guy that overreacts anytime anyone mentions anything about Flacco that can possibly be perceived as negative and then talks smack on the Skins while he's acting like he's above doing just that. Interesting.

#34 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:00 PM

It's interesting that both of the older fan bases of the teams don't care about the others, except those still upset about JKC trying to prevent a team coming to Baltimore. It definitely seems that most of the younger fans (I'm 22, for the record) care more about this "rivalry" than most, at least all of my Ravens friends.

I don't really care about the Ravens other than when we play them every 4 years. I think it's silly for this rivalry and trash-talking when we never play.

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:15 PM

It's interesting that both of the older fan bases of the teams don't care about the others, except those still upset about JKC trying to prevent a team coming to Baltimore. It definitely seems that most of the younger fans (I'm 22, for the record) care more about this "rivalry" than most, at least all of my Ravens friends.

I don't really care about the Ravens other than when we play them every 4 years. I think it's silly for this rivalry and trash-talking when we never play.

I disliked the Redskins growing up. Part JKC, partly because they broke my heart when they beat my Bills in the Super Bowl ;)

I'm an RG3 fan, and I respect Shanahan. I've found myself rooting for the Redskins a few times this year. I'll never be a 'fan', but I think there is very large and loyal fan-base. A lot of you have gone through plenty of lean years. I feel good for you that better days seem to be ahead.

#36 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

Says the guy that overreacts anytime anyone mentions anything about Flacco that can possibly be perceived as negative and then talks smack on the Skins while he's acting like he's above doing just that. Interesting.

I know Joe Flacco's flaws as well as anyone. I don't need overreacting, dumb Ravens fans making stupid comments about him. Nor do I want to hear from people who rarely watch him play the game.

If you want to take my comment as talking trash be my guest. It was a one time shot in response to a Redskins fan firing the first shot. I'm serious about what I said in my post. I have little desire to talk trash with an NFC fans team we play every 4 years. Especially, one as irrelevant as the SKins. Seriously, all I hear is this complex Baltimore fans have towards DC fans but it's the DC fans who are the ones trying to find some attention by picking a fight Ravens fans. The Skins are the older brother that was really good in HS and used to draw all the attention back in the day. The Ravens are the little brother who has come along 6-7 years later and is now in the spotlight.. It's the little brothers time to be the star,get all the girls, have all the attention. The older brother is so jealous and trying anything to relive the glory days and make him relevant again, especially if it's someway to leech onto his little brothers success.

#37 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:32 PM

I know Joe Flacco's flaws as well as anyone. I don't need overreacting, dumb Ravens fans making stupid comments about him. Nor do I want to hear from people who rarely watch him play the game.

It's really sad how sensitive you're about Flacco. And it's even more sad that you haven't admitted to your overreaction in the other thread considering you know, I didn't really even evaluate Flacco. I just asked how he would be perceived on the open market and basically stated his resume. Wait my bad, I did say that he has arguably the best arm in football, that's an evaluation.

And yeah, it's clearly talking trash as is this post. How else would someone take it? It's fine, one Skins fan did start with playful trash talking, but remember it was just one and it was playful.

#38 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:02 PM

It's really sad how sensitive you're about Flacco. And it's even more sad that you haven't admitted to your overreaction in the other thread considering you know, I didn't really even evaluate Flacco. I just asked how he would be perceived on the open market and basically stated his resume. Wait my bad, I did say that he has arguably the best arm in football, that's an evaluation.

And yeah, it's clearly talking trash as is this post. How else would someone take it? It's fine, one Skins fan did start with playful trash talking, but remember it was just one and it was playful.

A. In regards to the other thread. I just let it go. I walked away. If I offended you, I'm sorry. Seriously, no message board sarcasm. I can only talk Joe Flacco for so long and I had done enough of it on another board all Sunday night.

B. I'm being drawn into "talking trash" by responding to the 2nd post and subsequent posts in the thread and then responding to your post quoting me. I'll take no more bait. Playful or not, I'm just not a fan of trash talking in general. If you fire the first shot, I'll take the bait and respond, but you'll rarely, if ever see me, starting something with fans of another fanbase.

#39 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:09 PM

A. In regards to the other thread. I just let it go. I walked away. If I offended you, I'm sorry. Seriously, no message board sarcasm. I can only talk Joe Flacco for so long and I had done enough of it on another board all Sunday night.

B. I'm being drawn into "talking trash" by responding to the 2nd post and subsequent posts in the thread and then responding to your post quoting me. I'll take no more bait. Playful or not, I'm just not a fan of trash talking in general. If you fire the first shot, I'll take the bait and respond, but you'll rarely, if ever see me, starting something with fans of another fanbase.

A. I wouldn't say you offended me, I just thought it was a ridiculous overreaction that was uncalled for. Even if I had been critical of Flacco and said he was only average or whatever, that response wouldn't have been warranted imo. After all, it's not like you've had problems with insulting QB's from other teams that you don't watch that much of. ;) But that's cool, apology accepted.

B. I haven't talked any trash about this game. So there has been no bait from me.

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

WNST: As one streak ends, Ravens try to continue another against Washington
http://wnst.net/balt...nst-washington/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=