#21 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Staying in John Feinstein's good graces! :lol:

UM just needs to get Gary to agree that ditching the BB&T and instead scheduling high-profile OOC opponents is a good idea. Once Gary says so, Feinstein will immediately write a column on what a brilliant move it is by UM.

#22 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

UM just needs to get Gary to agree that ditching the BB&T and instead scheduling high-profile OOC opponents is a good idea. Once Gary says so, Feinstein will immediately write a column on what a brilliant move it is by UM.

Well, it's Feinstein's event. That said, on the radio broadcast at halftime, he was talking about how if UM left, at least they have given 18 years to this event (or however long it's been), which is more than he can say for Georgetown.

He then proceeded to state that they will never participate in this tournament so long as John Thompson the Elder is still alive, and ranted about that for awhile.

So, he might be more sympathetic to UM's plight than some realize.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
Perception is reality.

#23 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

Well, it's Feinstein's event. That said, on the radio broadcast at halftime, he was talking about how if UM left, at least they have given 18 years to this event (or however long it's been), which is more than he can say for Georgetown.

He then proceeded to state that they will never participate in this tournament so long as John Thompson the Elder is still alive, and ranted about that for awhile.

That does surprise me a little.
@levineps

#24 Baltimore Chop

Baltimore Chop
  • Members
  • 74 posts
  • LocationTowson

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

That does surprise me a little.

Which part surprises you?

I believe Feinstein is trying to raise money for charity, but at the end of the day if his marquee team isn't drawing, he simply isn't raising much money for charity. GWU has fallen off the radar since around 2000 or so, and UM's stock has slid big time since this tourney started. Feinstein will draw if UM is playing well AND they get a compelling opponent.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see this event end if UM left.
Perception is reality.

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 December 2012 - 04:46 PM

For what ever reason GT has always felt they were above this event. A bg part of it is that they do not want to play Maryland. Old John still has a large say in that program.
Maryland has done their part for the BBT, IMO.
@mikeghg

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Which part surprises you?

I believe Feinstein is trying to raise money for charity, but at the end of the day if his marquee team isn't drawing, he simply isn't raising much money for charity. GWU has fallen off the radar since around 2000 or so, and UM's stock has slid big time since this tourney started. Feinstein will draw if UM is playing well AND they get a compelling opponent.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me to see this event end if UM left.

It surprises me that Feinstein wouldn't rip Maryland more for dropping out of the event since it's "his event."

I do think UMD will drop out since Turgeon said he would be paying attention to the attendance.
@levineps

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

It surprises me that Feinstein wouldn't rip Maryland more for dropping out of the event since it's "his event."

I do think UMD will drop out since Turgeon said he would be paying attention to the attendance.

So Maryland's going to drop out of their own arena, too?

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

So Maryland's going to drop out of their own arena, too?

Yeah after they drop out of the football stadium.
@levineps

#29 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:31 PM

Yeah after they drop out of the football stadium.

They should probably take the indoor practice facility plan, upgrade it with 15,000 seats and just play there like Idaho or something :D

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 PM

For what ever reason GT has always felt they were above this event. A bg part of it is that they do not want to play Maryland. Old John still has a large say in that program.
Maryland has done their part for the BBT, IMO.

Thompson's probably still seething over Gary's fist-pump at the end of that game in '93. Bitter old man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=