#1 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good Article here. Looks like the Terps are done with the BBT.

Turgeon definitely putting his stamp on the program.
http://www.testudoti... ... -wont-keep
@mikeghg

#2 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:44 AM

Feinstein will likely rip them but the format is wrong now and Maryland is the only high profile school that has played the last few years.
Georgetown keeps avoiding Maryland, but that would be the way to make it useful for the Terps to play.
@mikeghg

#3 BSLMattJergensen

BSLMattJergensen

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:30 AM

It makes no sense for Maryland to continue to play in this "tournament".

It lost any relevancy it had years ago.

I'm usually a fan of Feinstein but I don't see a compelling arguement for them staying.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

MD needs to start scheduling better OOC games...getting out of this tourney is a good step in that direction.

MD should play teams like Mason and VCU though...solid mid major programs that are good wins.

#5 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

Just looked at the attendance, and it was 10,256, which is only a half-full arena for TWO games. I watched the beginning of the "undercard" and it looked like a ghost town. And that's with great deals from Living Social.

I don't think keeping a DC(or Baltimore) "presence" is exactly as necessary as some. Probably even moreso, DC since it's closer and both venues are accessible by Metro (Verizon is much more though than Comcast). The MD core fanbase is more densly populated than other ones, given the geography. It's not like Washington State, where you need to play an annual game in Seattle, else a substantial portion of your alumni concentrated in a certain area won't get a chance to see the team.

As I stated previously, if the Terps don't do the BB&T next year, how attractive is the tournament and can it survive?
@levineps

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:23 PM

I think the BBT should either insure that another profile school like GT, Villanova, etc. be in the tourney whick would give Maryland a reason for staying or go the other direction and make the BBT a solid, local mid major tourney. Get Loyola, Mason, GW and maybe VCU and have a 2 day win 2 to win tourney format.
@mikeghg

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 04:54 PM

I think the BBT should either insure that another profile school like GT, Villanova, etc. be in the tourney whick would give Maryland a reason for staying or go the other direction and make the BBT a solid, local mid major tourney. Get Loyola, Mason, GW and maybe VCU and have a 2 day win 2 to win tourney format.

If it goes in the mid-major direction, it could just end up at the Smith Center. Not sure how much MD drew of the 10k, but my guess is a significant portion -- maybe 60%, with the other schools getting the remaining 40%? My figures might be high, I'm totally guess. I don't think many came to see the other three schools for the most part. Anyone who went know?
@levineps

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:12 PM

Unless they get Georgetown in it, which sounds highly unlikely, then no point in staying in the BB&T. I'm not against playing a school like Mason or GW once a year, but have them come to Comcast. I also think there would be advantages to playing one of the Baltimore schools in the city maybe once every couple years, but given the arena situation I understand why they wouldn't.

Definitely want them to beef up the OOC schedule beyond the early tournaments. Do a home-and home with some of the big schools. I bet Turgeon could probably use his ties to KU to get a 2-game series. And while I also hope they could schedule some ACC schools after they leave, I have a feeling that won't happen for a long time, save the ACC/B1G Challenge games.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:19 PM

I would welcome the Terps to a home and home with Xavier.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

You think the Dez Wells situation impacts that in the near future?
@levineps

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:27 PM

That would be nice. Wonder if Turge would be hesitant to schedule that while Wells might still be around though?

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:31 PM

That would be nice. Wonder if Turge would be hesitant to schedule that while Wells might still be around though?

Likely, though I can assure you that many, many Xavier fans would cheer for him (with me trying to be the loudest).

I know we'll be looking to fill a few home-and-home games for 2013 and beyond. Memphis, Purdue, Vandy, and Butler will all be off the books after this season.

#13 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

BTW, this is a great site to check out what teams are looking to play where scheduling-wise.

http://www.basketbal... ... /?e_type=1

Maryland looking for a home/home to start anywhere. X looking to start a home/home on the road. I see a match. :D
  • BSLMikeLowe likes this

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

If it goes in the mid-major direction, it could just end up at the Smith Center. Not sure how much MD drew of the 10k, but my guess is a significant portion -- maybe 60%, with the other schools getting the remaining 40%? My figures might be high, I'm totally guess. I don't think many came to see the other three schools for the most part. Anyone who went know?

The Smith Center is an interesting idea. They could invite the 4 local mids that are expected to do well. Heck they could even move the arena's around. Towson will have a brand new building next year that could be part of the rotation. A little creativity could make the BBT an exciting local tourney for area BBall fans even without Maryland.
Although,I am one who goes to a lot of HS and local college games so maybe my view is not mainstream.
@mikeghg

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Likely, though I can assure you that many, many Xavier fans would cheer for him (with me trying to be the loudest).

I know we'll be looking to fill a few home-and-home games for 2013 and beyond. Memphis, Purdue, Vandy, and Butler will all be off the books after this season.

It wasn't so much the fan response I was wondering about, as I'm aware many Xavier fans remain supportive of him. And Wells responded pretty well at Northwestern to the crude chants directed at him there. I just think there would inevitably be a distraction leading up to a game like that that Turgeon might want to avoid. Of course you could also argue that learning to deal with distractions would be a benefit for an early season game too.

#16 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:50 PM

BTW, this is a great site to check out what teams are looking to play where scheduling-wise.

http://www.basketbal... ... /?e_type=1

Maryland looking for a home/home to start anywhere. X looking to start a home/home on the road. I see a match. :D

Haha! Never heard of that site before. It's like college basketball's answer to Craigslist!

#17 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,229 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:52 PM

Haha! Never heard of that site before. It's like college basketball's answer to Craigslist!

Someone posted it on the Xavier board I frequent and I fell in love with it. Pretty cool to see what a lot of college teams are trying to do.

#18 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Unless they get Georgetown in it, which sounds highly unlikely, then no point in staying in the BB&T. I'm not against playing a school like Mason or GW once a year, but have them come to Comcast. I also think there would be advantages to playing one of the Baltimore schools in the city maybe once every couple years, but given the arena situation I understand why they wouldn't.

Maryland: the only state where the top-level school would see a downgrade in playing at an off-campus arena.

#19 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

As well it should be the last year. I was thinking about that yesterday when watching the game. First the arena is so empty, 2nd it does MD no good to be playing these mid major teams. We have to fill these spots on our schedule with better teams. If Georgetown would sign on to play us every year in it ok or if you could go back to the early days of it and draw a big team here to play Maryland good but as it is now it's just a horrible horrible tournament with absolutely no benefit to Maryland at all.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

but as it is now it's just a horrible horrible tournament with absolutely no benefit to Maryland at all.

Staying in John Feinstein's good graces! :lol:
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=