• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:48 PM

Well, he wouldn't DH all the time...and I would expect his OPS to be more in the 790-820 range once you factor in the lefties.

The question I have is, can you get Morse for the same or less?

I will tell you this...if we could get Soriano for 2/10 and trade Avery or Hoes, along with a guy like Mike Wright, I probably would do that if nothing else was out there to be had at a reasonable price.

No, the Nats are looking for a good return on Morse, where Soriano is a straight salary dump.

I'd do it too, especially since odds are that none of those guys are going to be more than bench guys/BP arms. I wouldn't want him taking away AB from Reimold, because if he's healthy I think he might be the best bat on the team, and I would personally even look into moving Nolan to 1B in the spring to see if he has the hands for it, to try to keep him healthy, that would make Soriano as a LF/DH rotation with McLouth and Davis a pretty tempting option.
@JeremyMStrain

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

So the question is will we be able to get .760-.800 OPS production at DH for less than $5m?

I think he is good bet to do that, but then my question is why would be pay around 5M and give up a prospect to downgrade at the DH position?

I want to bring in a right handed bat to automatically get the AB's vs lefties at DH or LF, but can also compete for extra AB's vs righties with Nate, Reimold, and Davis. Plus this player would obviously get more AB's if there's an injury to any of the 1B/DH options or any of the outfielders.

#23 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

No, the Nats are looking for a good return on Morse, where Soriano is a straight salary dump.

What would it take to get Morse?

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

What would it take to get Morse?

They are looking for SP depth, and a real prospect lower down. They would probably ask for one of the Cavalry and Delmonico.
@JeremyMStrain

#25 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

If anyone wants to consider giving Soriano 2/10 plus trade a solid prospect or two, why not consider Cody Ross? Similar hitter that better complements the roster given his stronger ability to mash lefties.

#26 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:46 PM

If anyone wants to consider giving Soriano 2/10 plus trade a solid prospect or two, why not consider Cody Ross? Similar hitter that better complements the roster given his stronger ability to mash lefties.

I think I heard he was trying to get closer to 10m per year after last season.
@JeremyMStrain

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:47 PM

Agree that just paying for Ross is probably better than trading for Soriano. Plus, a more consistent OBP, always between 320-325 (not good, I said consistent). Soriano the last 4 years has been 303, 322, 289, and 322.

I still think both are too expensive for primary use as the short end of a platoon, given our payroll constraints (which are a slap in the face to the fans as Angelos pockets tens of millions in profit, but apparently we gotta deal with them).

#28 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:48 PM

His asking price was 3/25 from what I saw. But I would guess he'll end up getting something closer to the 2/10 that we're talking about for Soriano.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,149 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:49 PM

And Greinke and Hamilton were both asking for $175-200M. What a player wants is irrelevant. Ross is probably priced out of the Orioles needs for him even when talking about what he'll end up getting, though, and I could see 2/$10M being an underestimate of his eventual price. But $10M a year is not happening for him.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:54 PM

And Greinke and Hamilton were both asking for $175-200M. What a player wants is irrelevant. Ross is probably priced out of the Orioles needs for him even when talking about what he'll end up getting, though, and I could see 2/$10M being an underestimate of his eventual price. But $10M a year is not happening for him.

And $13m per year shouldn't be happening for Dempster or Haren either, but it did. You just can't guess in this market, cause in the end, some idiot will ignore what they SHOULD pay.
@JeremyMStrain

#31 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

Agree that just paying for Ross is probably better than trading for Soriano. Plus, a more consistent OBP, always between 320-325 (not good, I said consistent). Soriano the last 4 years has been 303, 322, 289, and 322.

I still think both are too expensive for primary use as the short end of a platoon, given our payroll constraints (which are a slap in the face to the fans as Angelos pockets tens of millions in profit, but apparently we gotta deal with them).

Either of these guys would in all likely hood get plenty of AB's vs righties, though and they can hit them decently enough. They would basically start every game vs lefties, but then they'd compete for AB's with Nate, Reimold, Davis, and Betemit, plus if Jones or Markakis get hurt, they'd get more AB's (Nate would play CF). So Ross/Soriano along with Reimold would be the first options to get the AB's that guys like Ford, Tolleson, and Pearce got last year. So not only would whichever of Soraino/Ross help the DH or LF production by hitting lefties very well, but he'd create much stronger depth and a nice pinch hitting option.

#32 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:12 PM

I hate to keep harping on this but Soriano has full no trade and wants to go to a contender. Not sure he'll see the Orioles as such especially since he refused the Giants last year. I can't imagine him waiving his no-trade to become an Oriole unless they were trying to sweeten (lengthen) his deal.
@Thyrl

#33 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

I hate to keep harping on this but Soriano has full no trade and wants to go to a contender. Not sure he'll see the Orioles as such especially since he refused the Giants last year. I can't imagine him waiving his no-trade to become an Oriole unless they were trying to sweeten (lengthen) his deal.

I think his issue with SF was that it was on the west coast.

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

His asking price was 3/25 from what I saw. But I would guess he'll end up getting something closer to the 2/10 that we're talking about for Soriano.

Ross could be intriguing but I wouldn't give him much more than 2/10.

#35 Thyrl

Thyrl
  • Members
  • 144 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

I think his issue with SF was that it was on the west coast.

He also apparently turned down Pittsburgh while they were a 2nd place team in the midst of an 18-8 month of July.
@Thyrl

#36 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

I'd rather skip spending the money and get Van Slyke from LAD. Just another solid depth move, but ML ready, big average and OBP guy, with a little pop and can play 1B and both OF corners. Get enough depth and something will pan out. He's buried in LA though, so he got DFA'd.
@JeremyMStrain

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=