#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Still matters, though. Seven wins and the Military Bowl is nice and all, but that shouldn't be viewed as reason to keep a coach when you would then have four out of five seasons, or three of four, or five of six, that suggest he isn't helping the program.

Many will think one good season and they are heading in the right direction, hence the extension (if it happens). Many programs this has happened to have regressed, and then they get fired eventually. Most extension have buy-outs after all.
@levineps

#22 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:07 PM

Whoa there. I agree with Chris that he's safe with 7 wins next season. But an extension after just one winning season in 3? It's not like he'd be headed into 2014 as a potential lame-duck....he'd still have 3 years left and probably isn't getting any calls from bigger schools or the NFL yet. Let's see how he does after a year or two in the Big Ten before we marry ourselves to the guy for another 5 or so years.

And if other schools start calling, that's why he'd be extended. It's also recruiting-wise, you want 4-5 years to show the recruits that he'll be there throughout their tenure at MD. This isn't a program where the brand sells itself, so the recruits will want that kind of commitment on the other end. With as much turnover as there is in major college sports, recruits shouldn't just settle for the coach in most cases.
@levineps

#23 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

And if other schools start calling, that's why he'd be extended. It's also recruiting-wise, you want 4-5 years to show the recruits that he'll be there throughout their tenure at MD. This isn't a program where the brand sells itself, so the recruits will want that kind of commitment on the other end. With as much turnover as there is in major college sports, recruits shouldn't just settle for the coach in most cases.

It seems to me that this makes it more likely that Maryland DOESN'T look to keep him. They'll either let him go to another school or they will view his progress as not good enough.

#24 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:13 PM

Other schools aren't going to call after a 7-win season. 10 wins, sure, then we can talk extension. And while your point is valid about recruiting, I still don't make that commitment simply on the basis of 2, 4 and 7 win seasons....unless you just want to tack another year on to the end at the current per-year rate. But re-upping for 5 more years would be very irresponsible on KA's part based on the results thus far.

#25 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:23 PM

It seems to me that this makes it more likely that Maryland DOESN'T look to keep him. They'll either let him go to another school or they will view his progress as not good enough.

Winning 4 games or winning 8 games will make the decision easier one way or another. It's the middle ground that I think will make it harder. Not sure if they just let him go to another school, it's not like a lot of coaches are wanting to come here.
@levineps

#26 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:25 PM

Other schools aren't going to call after a 7-win season. 10 wins, sure, then we can talk extension. And while your point is valid about recruiting, I still don't make that commitment simply on the basis of 2, 4 and 7 win seasons....unless you just want to tack another year on to the end at the current per-year rate. But re-upping for 5 more years would be very irresponsible on KA's part based on the results thus far.

You have no idea, many schools have called after much less. Any buyout should take care of that, it happens all the time.
@levineps

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:35 PM

Winning 4 games or winning 8 games will make the decision easier one way or another. It's the middle ground that I think will make it harder. Not sure if they just let him go to another school, it's not like a lot of coaches are wanting to come here.

You can always get someone, you just need to make a good decision and hope for the right amount of luck.

I think they would let him go. First of all, it makes the decision for them. Second, they don't have to buy him out.

#28 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

You can always get someone, you just need to make a good decision and hope for the right amount of luck.

I think they would let him go. First of all, it makes the decision for them. Second, they don't have to buy him out.

We're really dealing with hypotheticals here. No I don't think they'll pay him like Les Miles nor will they be able to keep a coach from going to a program of that stature. But if it's between here and a notch above, I'm sure they'd try to keep him.

On your other point, might need to get a new AD then. KA complained last year about how they wanted others, specifically an NFL coach, but they didn't want to do the necessary fundraising.
@levineps

#29 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:49 PM

You have no idea, many schools have called after much less. Any buyout should take care of that, it happens all the time.

Then if you do happen to be right, and these "many" schools come calling after what would hypothetically be a 3-year tenure that yielded a 13-23 record (bowl game pending), then I would take whatever buyout is in Edsall's deal and take my chances on the open market. And I sincerely hope Kevin Anderson would do the same.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=