HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

Baltimore Sun: Anderson says Terps' football moving 'in the right direction'

http://www.baltimore...0,3186917.story

Anderson said he hopes Maryland can build an indoor football practice facility that would be funded primarily by private donors.

@levineps

#2 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:50 PM

Definitely moving in the right direction. Steady improvement from last year to this year. Would have been an extremely impressive season if we didn't lose all of our QBs. That indoor practice facility sounds like a really good idea. It'd definitely attract recruits and, like he said, benefit other sports like lacrosse, soccer, etc.
@BSLZackKiesel

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,836 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

It's hard to not be moving in the 'right direction' after a 2-10 season. Aside from Diggs, everything else looks bleak and we're headed to a FB powerhouse conference.

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

It's hard to not be moving in the 'right direction' after a 2-10 season. Aside from Diggs, everything else looks bleak and we're headed to a FB powerhouse conference.

I agree with what you are saying re: 2-10. However, it's hard to tell if they are based on the QBs going down. When they were 4-2, things looked pretty promising and getting a bowl game was minimum expectations. If I had to give the team a grade it's an incomplete.
@levineps

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

While I'm sure KA gave Edsall a vote of confidence, both public and private, next season will be do-or-die as far as getting to a bowl game. No more excuses. I have a hard time imagining that UM wants to enter the B1G with the same coach on the heels of 3 straight losing seasons. If they can find $50 million to buy their way out of the ACC, there has to be an extra $6 million somewhere to buy out Edsall. Just put that indoor practice facility on hold a little longer.

#6 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

While I'm sure KA gave Edsall a vote of confidence, both public and private, next season will be do-or-die as far as getting to a bowl game. No more excuses. I have a hard time imagining that UM wants to enter the B1G with the same coach on the heels of 3 straight losing seasons. If they can find $50 million to buy their way out of the ACC, there has to be an extra $6 million somewhere to buy out Edsall. Just put that indoor practice facility on hold a little longer.

I think it's a little more complex than that, it sounds like they are going to get a loan from the Big Ten to cover the exit fee if it comes to that. They aren't getting a loan to cover a coaching change. It's also significantly more than $6 million, they have to buy-out Edsall and his staff than pay for a new staff. I'm sure if you want to donate all that $$$, they'll axe him with one bad season. Do I think think if they 3-9, they'll cut bait, sure. But again, this $$$ needs to come from somewhere and MD donors didn't step with Fridge after his 2-10 season. Thus, I do think if they go 5-7, the decision will be pretty tough. I don't think this is so make-or-break, this is MD football, NOT Notre Dame.
@levineps

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:28 PM

...they'll axe him with one bad season.

Dude. Come on.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

I think it's a little more complex than that, it sounds like they are going to get a loan from the Big Ten to cover the exit fee if it comes to that. They aren't getting a loan to cover a coaching change. It's also significantly more than $6 million, they have to buy-out Edsall and his staff than pay for a new staff. I'm sure if you want to donate all that $$$, they'll axe him with one bad season. Do I think think if they 3-9, they'll cut bait, sure. But again, this $$$ needs to come from somewhere and MD donors didn't step with Fridge after his 2-10 season. Thus, I do think if they go 5-7, the decision will be pretty tough. I don't think this is so make-or-break, this is MD football, NOT Notre Dame.

Friedgen had a lot more goodwill, even after 2-10, among the donors than Edsall does. Unless you have to go to the extent of cutting more sports to buy him out, which I certainly would never advocate, I don't see how it can be justified keeping Edsall after another losing season. Especially considering there will be a step up in competition the following season. MD is no national power, of course, but 3 straight losing seasons in the ACC is absolutely underachieving.

#9 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:44 PM

Friedgen had a lot more goodwill, even after 2-10, among the donors than Edsall does. Unless you have to go to the extent of cutting more sports to buy him out, which I certainly would never advocate, I don't see how it can be justified keeping Edsall after another losing season. Especially considering there will be a step up in competition the following season. MD is no national power, of course, but 3 straight losing seasons in the ACC is absolutely underachieving.

Yeah sure, except for the fact people stopped showing up with Fridgen there. It comes down to $$$ like it did in that case, if they can get, they'll do it, if not they won't. Talk is cheap, people speak with their wallets.
@levineps

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yeah sure, except for the fact people stopped showing up with Fridgen there. It comes down to $$$ like it did in that case, if they can get, they'll do it, if not they won't. Talk is cheap, people speak with their wallets.

You're talking about the rank-and-file fans, many of whom did get tired of the mediocrity and were fine with Friedgen being fired. The big donors at UM are an entirely different group with a much different mindset.

#11 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:21 PM

You're right, they do. Regular fans speak by closing theirs and not showing up to games. Boosters speak by opening theirs and offering up the money to fire coaches.

When you add together three (for the discussion) poor seasons and the idea of moving to a new conference with a clean start all around, a lot of wallets will open. If they don't, then the program has far bigger problems than whether or not to fire the coach.

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:23 PM

Edsall has to win about 7 games and go to a Bowl next year. I think MD will do that, and I think he will be pretty secure after that.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:28 PM

You're talking about the rank-and-file fans, many of whom did get tired of the mediocrity and were fine with Friedgen being fired. The big donors at UM are an entirely different group with a much different mindset.

Sure, there a different types of fans. But I wouldn't say the rank-and-file fans are completely powerless. Typically speaking if fans are showing up, you aren't making a coaching change. And you need those big donors to pay up. They can talk about it all they want, but they actually have to pull the trigger.
@levineps

#14 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

Edsall has to win about 7 games and go to a Bowl next year. I think MD will do that, and I think he will be pretty secure after that.

I'm definitely in a different place with Edsall than I was for most of the last fifteen months. I think they were likely on their way to just that (seven wins and a bad bowl) before Hills got hurt.

This year will be judged entirely in the context of next year. If they do what you think, this year was an improvement that ended up off the rails, and the program looks better. If they don't do that well, it's a third consecutive poor season and he goes.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:34 PM

I think he'll get an extension if he gets to seven wins and that should buy him some time(I say two seasons to improve on that). I also think that extension will likely come before the bowl season and will be dependent on how recruiting is going as well. But a few mediocre seasons after that and fans will be back into the "what have you done for me lately" tune, we've seen so frequently across the country. I just don't think this is so cut-and-dry, given how much better 7 wins looks than 6 than 5.
@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:38 PM

I'd also say KA is probably making this statement for a few reasons... one it justifies bringing him back(knowing that Edsall isn't exactly the most popular person, I think most rational fans don't favor firing him at this point though). And in the event the program does slip next season, he can say if he has to fire him, "last year, it looked like we were heading in the right direction, but now it appears were trending downwards and we can't accept that at this fine institution."
@levineps

#17 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:42 PM

I think he'll get an extension if he gets to seven wins and that should buy him some time(I say two seasons to improve on that). I also think that extension will likely come before the bowl season and will be dependent on how recruiting is going as well. But a few mediocre seasons after that and fans will be back into the "what have you done for me lately" tune, we've seen so frequently across the country. I just don't think this is so cut-and-dry, given how much better 7 wins looks than 6 than 5.

It isn't "what have you done for me lately" when he hasn't done anything in the first place.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

It isn't "what have you done for me lately" when he hasn't done anything in the first place.

You missed the point, it's a hypothetical and then him regressing.
@levineps

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:51 PM

Whoa there. I agree with Chris that he's safe with 7 wins next season. But an extension after just one winning season in 3? It's not like he'd be headed into 2014 as a potential lame-duck....he'd still have 3 years left and probably isn't getting any calls from bigger schools or the NFL yet. Let's see how he does after a year or two in the Big Ten before we marry ourselves to the guy for another 5 or so years.

#20 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

You missed the point, it's a hypothetical and then him regressing.

Still matters, though. Seven wins and the Military Bowl is nice and all, but that shouldn't be viewed as reason to keep a coach when you would then have four out of five seasons, or three of four, or five of six, that suggest he isn't helping the program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=