• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... -span.html

DC gave up their first rounder from last year:

http://www.baseball-... ... ypepad.com

Would you have liked to have seen the Orioles beat this offer and put Span in LF?

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

No, I'd prefer to resign Nate and have him and Reimold over trading for Span.

I would say that if you had obtained Span, there would have been a decent case for moving Jones over to LF. However, that would have been unlikely.

Is Hoes' best case scenario being a similar offensive player to Span?

#3 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:51 PM

The Orioles don't have many prospects around Meyer's level without having to give up too much for Span, IMO.

Klein would be close if he weren't having so many health issues.

If the O's could've offered up something involving Arrieta and a prospect then I'd be interested.

#4 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I think it's a good move for the Nats. No long-term commitment, and since they are poised to compete, it helps them this season. I know Meyer is a good prospect...but he's just a prospect.

EDIT: After looking at Meyer's stats, this looks like a good deal for the Twins as well.

#5 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

No, I'd prefer to resign Nate and have him and Reimold over trading for Span.

I would say that if you had obtained Span, there would have been a decent case for moving Jones over to LF. However, that would have been unlikely.

Is Hoes' best case scenario being a similar offensive player to Span?

Nah Span is one of the top Defensive CF in the game and much faster than LJ. You could make a strong case to play him in C.F. and move Jones but he wouldn't like that. Prospect wise it was pretty close to the o's giving up Gausman but WAS has that depth in the rotation they can get away with it.
@JeremyMStrain

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:22 PM

Nah Span is one of the top Defensive CF in the game and much faster than LJ. You could make a strong case to play him in C.F. and move Jones but he wouldn't like that. Prospect wise it was pretty close to the o's giving up Gausman but WAS has that depth in the rotation they can get away with it.

I asked offensively Jer, I understand about the defense.

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

BTW. This directly impacts the os. This means they are shifting Harper to LF, and either Morse to first and not signing Laroche or trading Morse.

Bet $ the os are making a run at Adam as we speak trying to beat the Reynolds deadline as he is plan B.

Also means good chance no KC deal. :(
@JeremyMStrain

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,508 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

BTW. This directly impacts the os. This means they are shifting Harper to LF, and either Morse to first and not signing Laroche or trading Morse.

Bet $ the os are making a run at Adam as we speak trying to beat the Reynolds deadline as he is plan B.

I still have doubts about KC shipping Hosmer 1x1 for a comparable pitching prospect, but maybe.

Would take a several year commitment for LaRoche. What were the rumors prior to 2011, 3 years $21M offered?
I know Kevin estimated 2 yrs $24M for LaRoche a few few weeks ago.

I would think the likely price for Reynolds would be more attractive.

#9 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,278 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

Hard to believe they would put Harper and that arm of his in LF instead of RF.

#10 clapdiddy

clapdiddy

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

I HOPE we aren't going for LaRoche. I'd rather have Reynolds.

#11 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

You think they value LaRoche that much?

And by saying good chance no KC deal, aren't you assuming we sign LaRoche?

#12 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

The Orioles don't have many prospects around Meyer's level without having to give up too much for Span, IMO.

Klein would be close if he weren't having so many health issues.

If the O's could've offered up something involving Arrieta and a prospect then I'd be interested.

This is what I was thinking when I asked the question.

What about any of the 4 young pitchers on the ML staff....should we have been offering one of them up..and maybe a guy like SJohnson, for example?

#13 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:05 PM

I think LaRoche is a little better player than Reynolds right now, but Reynolds is three years younger and isn't coming off a career year. I'd be wary signing LaRoche at age 32 and coming off his top offensive season (33 homers). LaRoche's offensive profile is very similar but he's a little easier to stomach strictly as a fan because the strikeouts aren't quite as high. In fact, here's LaRoche and Reynolds side-by-side over their careers: http://bit.ly/YvjkpD. Remarkably similar with the bat. Considering the price for each, Reynolds seems like he'd be a much better value than LaRoche even though LaRoche had the superior season in 2012.

LaRoche is a legit gold glove defender at first base, whereas Reynolds' defense LOOKS a lot better than it actually is. Reynolds has no range; LaRoche does. Both have soft hands at first. And that's about as much effort as I can summon to write about first base defense.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#14 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:19 PM

You think they value LaRoche that much?

And by saying good chance no KC deal, aren't you assuming we sign LaRoche?

For some reason they are in love with him. Have been for a while, if they are talking to him before Dealing with Reynolds or trying to go after butler or hosmer it's not a good sign. Think bal might give him the 3 years he wants to get his obp in the lineup.

Not sure I'm a big fan at what it would cost but maybe they don't meet his price and go another direction last week.
@JeremyMStrain

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hard to believe they would put Harper and that arm of his in LF instead of RF.

LF is more spacious in WAS and they are scared to put Werth out there. Could happen though.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:27 PM

I asked offensively Jer, I understand about the defense.

Offensively LJ might have a good obp to him but Span has better hit tool and speed. I don't really like LJ s chances of being more than a bench guy...but I like him so I hope he does. Even at his most optimistic I'd probably still take span though because of the speed in the lineup.
@JeremyMStrain

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

For some reason they are in love with him. Have been for a while, if they are talking to him before Dealing with Reynolds or trying to go after butler or hosmer it's not a good sign. Think bal might give him the 3 years he wants to get his obp in the lineup.

Not sure I'm a big fan at what it would cost but maybe they don't meet his price and go another direction last week.

Why would you value him at all? That's pretty troubling.

From 2004-2011, his average WAR was just over 1...even in his career year of 2012, it was only 3.8.

Why would you pay 10ish million a year for that?

#18 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Why would you value him at all? That's pretty troubling.

From 2004-2011, his average WAR was just over 1...even in his career year of 2012, it was only 3.8.

Why would you pay 10ish million a year for that?

My guess is they want the defense at 1B and the OBP. Try to balance the rest of the team out some. I'd rather Reynolds at $6m for 1-2 than Laroche at $10-12 for 3 years. Find OBP somewhere else. I mean I get the gist behind it, but for what it's going to take I wouldn't be interested.
@JeremyMStrain

#19 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:15 PM

I think this is a really good deal for the Nats & the Twins.
@JeffLongBP

#20 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

My guess is they want the defense at 1B and the OBP. Try to balance the rest of the team out some. I'd rather Reynolds at $6m for 1-2 than Laroche at $10-12 for 3 years. Find OBP somewhere else. I mean I get the gist behind it, but for what it's going to take I wouldn't be interested.

You can get OBP and good defense in many other ways...paying 3/30 or so for a34 y/o coming off a career year would be assinine. Hopefully they explore KC a lot more and decide that's the best course of action.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=