#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

I really hope we don't trade young pieces for Willingham.

#5 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

CSN Baltimore: 5 things the O's need to do at the Winter Meetings
http://www.csnbaltim...winter-meetings

Finding a third base coach is far from a need...especially at the winter meetings.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:34 AM

Finding a third base coach is far from a need...especially at the winter meetings.

Agreed, I don't think a utility infielder is really much of a need either.

1B, LF, and SP are the areas we need to figure out what we're doing, and I expect a couple of those to be addressed at the meetings. I also think we sign a relief pitcher. I'm not expecting anything major, but perhaps they will put together a trade for that LF or 1B. I agree that Willingham isn't a guy I'd go after, though Britton for Willingham is something I'd probably do if there are no better offers for Britton. I'm really down on him, so getting something of some value in return would be good. I think he's more of an 825 OPS guy than the 890 he has last year, but he should be able to hit pretty well and is only signed for 2/$15M. His defense is below average, but it isn't abysmal, at least according to UZR.

#7 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 09:44 AM

Agreed, I don't think a utility infielder is really much of a need either.

1B, LF, and SP are the areas we need to figure out what we're doing, and I expect a couple of those to be addressed at the meetings. I also think we sign a relief pitcher. I'm not expecting anything major, but perhaps they will put together a trade for that LF or 1B. I agree that Willingham isn't a guy I'd go after, though Britton for Willingham is something I'd probably do if there are no better offers for Britton. I'm really down on him, so getting something of some value in return would be good. I think he's more of an 825 OPS guy than the 890 he has last year, but he should be able to hit pretty well and is only signed for 2/$15M. His defense is below average, but it isn't abysmal, at least according to UZR.

There's no way I would trade Britton for Willingham. Sure, he'll put up decent offensive numbers for the team over the next two years but I still think that Britton has more trade value than that.

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

[There's no way I would trade Britton for Willingham. Sure, he'll put up decent offensive numbers for the team over the next two years but I still think that Britton has more trade value than that.

If he's got more trade value than that, then great, go trade him for something better.

I'm just very down on Britton. I think his injury is going to prevent him from reaching the heights we thought he could coming into 2011. He looked awful for most of this year, I know he was coming off the injury, but I just wasn't impressed and don't think he has the same stuff and sink he had before. I'm not putting a ton of weight on that 4-start stretch where he looked great.

If he's still got good trade value, then I'm aggressively shopping him this offseason. Hopefully he can land us a nice bat. If it's better than Willingham, then that's fantastic, but if we can't get anything better, I'd settle.

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:13 AM

If he's got more trade value than that, then great, go trade him for something better.

I'm just very down on Britton. I think his injury is going to prevent him from reaching the heights we thought he could coming into 2011. He looked awful for most of this year, I know he was coming off the injury, but I just wasn't impressed and don't think he has the same stuff and sink he had before. I'm not putting a ton of weight on that 4-start stretch where he looked great.

If he's still got good trade value, then I'm aggressively shopping him this offseason. Hopefully he can land us a nice bat. If it's better than Willingham, then that's fantastic, but if we can't get anything better, I'd settle.

He does have more value than that. A good bit actually. Quite a few teams have called trying to get him since they think the team might be down on him.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

He does have more value than that. A good bit actually. Quite a few teams have called trying to get him since they think the team might be down on him.

What do you think about his future potential given the injury concerns? Would you trade him?

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:25 AM

Can we move the Britton talk here?

http://baltimorespor...php?f=30&t=3557

#12 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

What do you think about his future potential given the injury concerns? Would you trade him?

I was the first to bring up the injury concerns when it was going on, but he showed after the injury that he could pitch, his velocity was fine, I don't think I'm worried long term, but I also like their idea to shut him down and play it safe.

Shoulders are odd, but when there is a problem it shows in the velocity. "Let me throw softer even though I'm completely healthy" is something NO PITCHER said ever. I'd be much more concerned with Lincecum if I were SF than the O's about Britton.

If they get a great deal, say for Hosmer or something, I'd deal him. I'd put him last on my list as a guy to move though, I have more hope for him than the other cavalry. As far as next week, it's very possible he gets dealt.
@JeremyMStrain

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Can we move the Britton talk here?

http://baltimorespor...php?f=30&t=3557

Not trying to step on any toes, but if it's about his trade value and what he could bring in return, possibly at the meetings, doesn't it fit better here?

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,268 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

If it's about his trade value and what he could bring in return, possibly at the meetings, doesn't it fit better here?

Sure, that part (Could he be traded, and if so for whom) of the discussion should stay here.

However, discussion of why you are down on him, and what you believe about his health and potential going forward - probably belongs in the Britton thread itself.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

I was the first to bring up the injury concerns when it was going on, but he showed after the injury that he could pitch, his velocity was fine, I don't think I'm worried long term, but I also like their idea to shut him down and play it safe.

Shoulders are odd, but when there is a problem it shows in the velocity. "Let me throw softer even though I'm completely healthy" is something NO PITCHER said ever. I'd be much more concerned with Lincecum if I were SF than the O's about Britton.

If they get a great deal, say for Hosmer or something, I'd deal him. I'd put him last on my list as a guy to move though, I have more hope for him than the other cavalry. As far as next week, it's very possible he gets dealt.

I don't think I move him for Willingham but if KC wanted him in a deal for Butler, I don't hesitate to make the trade.

I am still worried about Britton but I would still only want to trade him for the right player. I am not trading him just to trade him because I think his arm is going to fall off.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,512 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:49 AM

Sure, that part (Could he be traded, and if so for whom) of the discussion should stay here.

However, discussion of why you are down on him, and what you believe about his health and potential going forward - probably belongs in the Britton thread itself.

Yeah, that's my bad. I just wanted to hear AS's take on him before formulating my opinion on whether or not I'd like to see him traded.

I don't think I would personally, but if it's a good enough deal, why not? It's certainly not as if he's risk free by any stretch.

#17 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:02 AM

I don't think I move him for Willingham but if KC wanted him in a deal for Butler, I don't hesitate to make the trade.

I am still worried about Britton but I would still only want to trade him for the right player. I am not trading him just to trade him because I think his arm is going to fall off.

You know, I'd probably move Britton for Butler as well. Do we need another DH only type of player on the roster? - no. But Butler provides enough offense with his bat that I'm willing to rotate Davis and Betemit at first base, DH, and LF.

Although - I'd rather throw Britton's name out there for Alex Gordon though.

#18 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

I agree with this. I am not a big Willingham fan. To me he is a better version of Luke Scott, and I am not one who wants to trade a lot to get him..

I do not want to trade young for old.

I would use Britton as a centerpiece for Butler, Hosmer and maybe Smoak although I am less impressed with him.
Of the three, I prefer Hosmer, only because I think he is a plus defender at first.
@mikeghg

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:06 AM

You know, I'd probably move Britton for Butler as well. Do we need another DH only type of player on the roster? - no. But Butler provides enough offense with his bat that I'm willing to rotate Davis and Betemit at first base, DH, and LF.

Although - I'd rather throw Britton's name out there for Alex Gordon though.

Butler may be a DH only but the guy can hit, take a walk, has good power, etc...oh and he is only 27, which is the peak age for a baseball player..historically speaking.

I would love to add the guy.

I don't usually like guys that aren't versatile and things like that but Butler is an exception for me.

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,930 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 11:11 AM

Let's say the O's let McLouth walk because he gets a Gomes-esque deal from someone else. So we are empty in LF aside from Reimold. KC won't deal Butler or Hosmer for Britton, and Arizona doesn't move Upton for anything we can put together. Also, the O's don't deal Johnson and have signed a veteran SP for the rotation, though not an ace or even top-2nd tier guy like Sanchez (think a version of Saunders that you don't dislike quite as much, perhaps Haren).

Would you then move Britton for Willingham?

2 years and $14-15M for him (depending on PAs). He's never had an OPS below 827 aside from an 810 in Oakland in 2011. He's coming off of an 890 OPS. Great walk rate, 11.5% for his career. But, he's 34 next season and plays below average defense.

I'm pulling the trigger if that's the best we can get for Britton. I'd hope to get more, but I really think that Willingham helps us more over the next two years than Britton would over the next several, and that even if Britton can get things straightened out and be a serviceable SP, that we have a few other similar guys who could be just as good as him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=