Photo

Big Ten Discussion

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want MD to go to Big 10? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want MD to go to Big 10?

1. Yes (12 votes [63.16%])

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

2. No (7 votes [36.84%])

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

You might lose the UNC and Duke basketball match ups, but you gain a natural football rivalry with Penn State.

Maryland fits in nicely with Big 10 basketball. A team that is on the rise will gain credibility competing in a much better basketball conference. The Big 10 is not a two team basketball conference. OSU, MSU, Michigan, IU, Illinois, Purdue and Wisconsin are competitive program and you still got the ACC v Big 10 challenge. Plus Gary Williams is an analyst on the Big 10 Network.

I know I'm biased here since I don't really pay attention to college football all that much. But if you take a random sample of Maryland fans (whether they be basketball, football, or both), I would say 90% of them would rather keep the Duke rivalry game than develop a rivalry with Penn St. football.

Also, the ACC is a 2 team conference? That just isn't true. FSU has been competitive for at least five years. NC State appears to have re-found their program. And the conference adds three perennial contenders in Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Pittsburgh. The Big Ten is certainly a very very good basketball conference, but the ACC still reigns king.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:35 PM

The more I read and hear the more it seems like moving the Big 10 would benefit the University and it's overall athletic program. Hate seeing the basketball rivalries in the ACC go but it seems like it's the wise move.

#43 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

MD alum, class of 2004.

Pretty indifferent about this move. While I will dislike the drop off in basketball the level of competition just got a tad easier, we should be an elite Big 10 basketball program year in and year out.

As for football, the money increase will certainly be there and, I'm sorry, but as a season ticket holder I'd much rather watch Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, etc come to Byrd instead of the ACC schools. Plus the Big 10 gets much much more national exposure than the ACC.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#44 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

What does lacrosse do?

Go the independent route like Hopkins?

#45 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

What does lacrosse do?

Go the independent route like Hopkins?

Believe it or not, that's the part about leaving the ACC that would disappoint me the most. OSU and Michigan are the only other Big Ten schools that play men's lacrosse, and they play in the ECAC. I'd prefer to go independent.

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

Is Gary Williams still doing color work for the Big Ten Network? That would be kind of neat...

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,525 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

MD alum, class of 2004.

Pretty indifferent about this move. While I will dislike the drop off in basketball the level of competition just got a tad easier, we should be an elite Big 10 basketball program year in and year out.

As for football, the money increase will certainly be there and, I'm sorry, but as a season ticket holder I'd much rather watch Wisconsin, OSU, Michigan, etc come to Byrd instead of the ACC schools. Plus the Big 10 gets much much more national exposure than the ACC.

I dunno... Indiana, Michigan, MSU, Ohio State are all pretty bonafide basketball programs. Basketball will be awesome to watch with this move.

#48 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Is Gary Williams still doing color work for the Big Ten Network? That would be kind of neat...

I think he has left the BTN, to work for CSN Washington / Baltimore.

#49 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:50 PM

I just read in SI that this week Under Armour announced that CEO Kevin Plank was cashing out $64.5 million in company stock.

Hmmmmm..... :?:

#50 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

MD's football program isn't likely to get much better...but they will sell more tickets.

I hate this for basketball but its probably the best move for MD.

ACC will add UCONN.

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:15 AM

The Big East is already an irrelevant football conference and the ACC is not far behind. When was the last time Maryland had a chance to be featured on the prime time ABC or ESPN broadcast? They'll get 4-5 shots a seaon with Penn State, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Michigan and Nebraska.

You might lose the UNC and Duke basketball match ups, but you gain a natural football rivalry with Penn State.

Um, 2011 against Miami was a pretty big game, being that Labor Day night game. Before that, 2010 against FSU. They've played in primetime before. I agree they'd be more likely in the Big Ten, but that be more because of the *other* team, not because of our success.

Quick note with Penn State, they played them for a while and won one game. Sure it was a while ago, but a real rivalry would be tough to develop unless they can win a few games.
@levineps

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:18 AM

I think he has left the BTN, to work for CSN Washington / Baltimore.

He did join CSN, not sure if he left BTN, but good possibility he's NOT working both. I remember him saying when hired, that he didn't want to broadcast MD basketball game, but would reluctantly do so if asked by his employer.
@levineps

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:27 AM

My personal feelings is I'd like to see them stay in the ACC -- it's a better fit for them in all aspects aside from financial (where the decision is made); particularly, football though, where the ACC is challenging enough for them. Geography is also in their favor in the ACC, easier to travel to the Carolinas than it is to get to Iowa, Lincoln, etc.

That being said, this move isn't as bad as it would've been a decade ago. This isn't the same ACC I grew up with. With mega-conferences, the landscape has greatly changed.
@levineps

#54 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,497 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:32 AM

Um, 2011 against Miami was a pretty big game, being that Labor Day night game. Before that, 2010 against FSU. They've played in primetime before. I agree they'd be more likely in the Big Ten, but that be more because of the *other* team, not because of our success.

Since the Big Ten has a policy of no night games after October, their opportunities for prime time appearances are more reduced than in the ACC.

#55 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Since the Big Ten has a policy of no night games after October, their opportunities for prime time appearances are more reduced than in the ACC.

I would not be surprised that that rule goes away in time Saturday Night FOotball has gotten too big.

Here is a good breakdown of pro's and cons although I think the cons is a bit understated.
http://www.terptalk.... ... -few-cons/
@mikeghg

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

Forgot about the Big Ten night game policy. In theory, sure their opportunities are better in the ACC than the Big 10 for marquee primetime games (ACC/ESPN), 7 PM or later. But let's be realistic here, not really. If they are playing Michigan/Ohio State/Wisconsin, obviously before November, it's more likely than how it currently sits in the ACC. By your logic, Wake/Duke have more "opportunities" than Michigan/Ohio State does.
@levineps

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

I would not be surprised that that rule goes away in time Saturday Night FOotball has gotten too big.

Here is a good breakdown of pro's and cons although I think the cons is a bit understated.
http://www.terptalk.... ... -few-cons/

They should do away with it.
@levineps

#58 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,238 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

Meeting on Monday at 9 am to decide:

No date has been set for a potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday. The Maryland board of regents will meet at 9 a.m. Monday morning to decide on the move, a source with direct knowledge told ESPN.com Sunday morning.

http://espn.go.com/c... ... ources-say

#59 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

How big is Maryland vs. Duke or UNC? Is it bigger for Maryland than it is for them? I really don't know, I've only watched the rivalry from afar and not that up close my first 3 years in the state. You will lose the flexibility of being able to travel schools that are close, but I think overall Maryland will benefit from being in a more compact basketball conference that will almost always list them as a contender. Plus, the Big 10 really doesn't have a big recruiting presence in the DMV. Chicago, Cleveland and Detroit have been producing the top players over last decade for the top programs.

The Big 10's no night game after October probably has more to do with how cold it can get at night in most Big 10 stadiums. Also, ESPN and ABC broadcast the Big 10 and PAC 12 and want to televise as many appealing match ups as possible. I don't remember the last time I saw a nationally televised hyped ACC match up.

The revenue from Big 10 football will help the MD athletic department overall. The Big 10 schools are not slashing athletic programs to save money. Ohio State has the most D-1 programs in all of NCAA because of the financial support from football and basketball to a certain degree. Byrd Stadium will be the 4th smallest in the Big 10 at 55K seats. I think yesterday only 35K showed up for Sr. Day against Florida State? The Big 10 will fill it up in some shape or form to justify the improvements made over the last few years.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#60 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:56 PM

How big is Maryland vs. Duke or UNC? Is it bigger for Maryland than it is for them?

It certainly is bigger for Maryland than it is for Duke or UNC. Maryland would never be the primary rival for either. However, the rivalry with Duke was not just one sided when MD basketball was at their pinnacle. Many Duke players from that time said later that MD was their primary rival while they were in-school.

MD has several rivalries with schools in both sports, but no school looks at MD as their primary rival.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=