99 replies to this topic

#81 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 09:27 AM

The clinching of his fist and shaking of the hand def led me to believe tinging or numbness. But its tough to know for sure. Wish someone would have asked. Maybe they did?? Either way something was bothering him.

No one asked Hyde during the presser. The media in this town...LOL.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#82 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 09:42 AM

It's weird that Hyde didn't just bring in Baumann to start the 9th, but who knows.  Maybe he only trusted Baumann once the lead got to 11, and then he didn't have enough time to warm up to start the inning.

But any time a manager makes a 9th inning, bases empty, non-injury-related, mid-inning pitching change with an 11-run lead, they deserve to have the move blow up in their face.

#83 Grindelwald

Grindelwald
  • Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 10:40 AM

It's weird that Hyde didn't just bring in Baumann to start the 9th, but who knows. Maybe he only trusted Baumann once the lead got to 11, and then he didn't have enough time to warm up to start the inning.

But any time a manager makes a 9th inning, bases empty, non-injury-related, mid-inning pitching change with an 11-run lead, they deserve to have the move blow up in their face.

Yeah that was pretty strange, I agree.

#84 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:09 AM

It's weird that Hyde didn't just bring in Baumann to start the 9th, but who knows. Maybe he only trusted Baumann once the lead got to 11, and then he didn't have enough time to warm up to start the inning.

What exactly would Hyde deserve for making the move?
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#85 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:49 AM

What exactly would Hyde deserve for making the move?

For the move to blow up in his face (as it more or less did).

#86 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:52 AM

For the move to blow up in his face (as it more or less did).

Giving up one run is blowing up in his face?

Ok

#87 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 11:56 AM

I wouldn't say it blew up in his face - but a mid inning pitching change with an 11-0 lead for a guy who was cruising? I don't think another 5 or 6 pitches is going to make the difference for Saurez being available for the Washington series.

Plus, you probably just made Baumann unavailable.

Just a strange move.

#88 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:02 PM

No game today. 

#89 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:05 PM

No game today.

20 pitches yesterday likely probably leaves him unavailable for at least tomorrow. Everyone else besides Saurez will be well rested, so it shouldn't matter. Plus, another off day Thursday.

Still a strange move up 11 and making a pitching change for 2 outs. Just let Saurez finish or bring in Baumann to start the inning.

#90 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:06 PM

For the record, I don't really care if Baumann is available or not. He's JAG and easily replaceable BP arm.

#91 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:06 PM

Giving up one run is blowing up in his face?

Ok

Baumann pitched poorly, which made Hyde look dumb.  Anger the baseball gods by making a pointless, time-wasting pitching change at your own peril.

#92 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:07 PM

I wouldn't say it blew up in his face - but a mid inning pitching change with an 11-0 lead for a guy who was cruising? I don't think another 5 or 6 pitches is going to make the difference for Saurez being available for the Washington series.

Just a strange move.

Blowing up in his face would have been Baumann injuring himself. I would hardly describe giving up a run or having Baumann unavailable tomorrow as things that "blew up in Hyde's face." This description in the aftermath may be more head scratching than Hyde's move yesterday.

Like Mackus said, I think Hyde wanted to get Baumann some work in a low leverage situation. He's obviously the low man on the pole and he is out of options. Personally, I wanted to see the three inning save. I didn't, and the sun still came out today.

#93 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:11 PM

Baumann pitched poorly, which made Hyde look dumb. Anger the baseball gods by making a pointless, time-wasting pitching change at your own peril.

You're joking right?

#94 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,768 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:31 PM

If you just want Baumann to get some work, why not let him start the inning?
  • BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#95 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:40 PM

You're joking right?

No, I truly believe that there are baseball gods up in the sky who sit in judgement of managers and punish them for making stupid, pointless moves that waste everyone's time.

#96 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:52 PM

No, I truly believe that there are baseball gods who punish managers who make stupid, pointless moves that waste everyone's time.

Fair enough.

I don't criticize anyone's belief system.

#97 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 12:57 PM

Who knows, maybe Hyde figured that he went to the bullpen with one out in the 9th on Saturday, and it worked out great, so why not do it every game?

#98 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,101 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 01:01 PM

Agree with this.

#99 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 01:06 PM

Once Suarez was out there, I figured He'd finish the game. My guess is that once Hyde got Baumann warm he was going to use him. I didn't even realize that Baumann was warming up.

#100 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 06 May 2024 - 01:10 PM

Who knows, maybe Hyde figured that he went to the bullpen with one out in the 9th on Saturday, and it worked out great, so why not do it every game?

I think he watched Cersei mock the Gods on a GOT rerun on Saturday night and came away inspired to mock the baseball gods on Sunday. He's winning the AL East GOT presently. He said F it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=