#2 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 11:36 AM

Grayson to the IL, Means up.

Orioles news: Grayson Rodriguez is going on the IL with right shoulder inflammation, retroactive to April 30. John Means was activated

It is interesting that they are bringing Means back now, not on a start day, which makes me think he could be going in the bullpen

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,105 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 11:40 AM

When did Rodriguez get hurt? Hope this isn't a real injury, but I can't really see him agreeing to a sham injury just to keep his innings down and delay a decision on the other starters.

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 11:42 AM

At least it's not the elbow, although shoulder injuries can be even worse.

#5 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,131 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 11:43 AM

Hopefully it's something minor that he was able to pitch through on Monday, and this is just a precautionary move.  Shoulders are scary, though.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,771 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 12:30 PM

I'll worry if we hear he's having an MRI. If not, I'll just assume they're trying to manager his workload a bit.

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 01 May 2024 - 12:38 PM

Grayson to the IL, Means up.

Orioles news: Grayson Rodriguez is going on the IL with right shoulder inflammation, retroactive to April 30. John Means was activated

It is interesting that they are bringing Means back now, not on a start day, which makes me think he could be going in the bullpen

They had to bring him back today, had a ticking clock on his assignment and was up today.

I think it's even 50/50 if it's a sham to buy some time to get these other two up and figure something out, OR we could really be in trouble with GRod. He's on a high risk list with a lot of those injured guys if you look at his velo, spin rate, effort etc. I saw a list not too long ago that was like 80% the guys already out this year, and he was one of the few still pitching. REALLY hoping they are just buying some time and it's nothing.

@JeremyMStrain

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 01:26 PM

He did seem a bit off the other night.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 02:14 PM

Ugh on the GRod news. Shoulder issues can be worse than elbow issues. Not there yet. Not gonna spaz out but I hate hearing shoulder

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,721 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 02:16 PM

Kyle Gibson has gone 6 innings in all of his starts so far. Thats just who he is even if the ERA isnt gonna be geeat at the end of the year. Could call St Louis early on him if needed. Wouldnt cost anything.

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,420 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:20 PM

Would rather give Povich a shot, and maybe deal one of the blocked prospects for OAK's stud closer. Pair him with Bautista and Cano next year?? Terrifying.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#12 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:27 PM

Kyle Gibson has gone 6 innings in all of his starts so far. Thats just who he is even if the ERA isnt gonna be geeat at the end of the year. Could call St Louis early on him if needed. Wouldnt cost anything.

There’s really no reason to aim that low though, with the minor league talent we have to deal.

#13 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 12:46 PM

Oak.closer w/b real costly. He's another Bautista perhaps.

We don't need Gibson. Better off using Irvin.Hopefully, he Bradish, Means, Kremer and Burnes can hold up as rotation for awhile w/Suarez as swing man. I can see him piggybacking w/Bradish today.

#14 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,721 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 07:08 PM

We just dont know with some of these guys. Some are downplaying GRod but look at Wells. They said they think its not serious with him as he also had inflammation in his elbow. GRod is shoulder. Wells last pitched on April 12 and still crickets. These things can just linger. Could happen with GRod too. Apparently Wells threw yesterday and is getting more testing done so again where do we stand. In the case of Wells we are approaching a month since he pitched and there is nothing definitive either way other than to say he is not pitching.

So its great getting Bradish and Means back for now but Wells and GRod are complete mysteries as it stands today. We will almost surely need to go after some more impactful arms around the deadline both BP and probably a SP too. Id still be willing to check in on Gibson this month. Especially if anything else pops up. You arent looking for him to be a stud but there is value in taking the ball every 5th day and pitching 5 or 6 innings. What they find out on Wells and GRod along with how Menas looks should determine if they start making calls early. If Means looks ok you can hold off awhile.

#15 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,105 posts

Posted 03 May 2024 - 06:32 AM

"Complete mysteries" seems overly pessimistic of a description of their status.  Us, or even the team, not knowing exactly when they'll be back is a big difference than expecting them to miss significant time.  If either guy isn't back pitching within three weeks I'll be pretty surprised.  Certainly wouldn't look to acquire any back-end pitchers right now as insurance.  Rotation is good right now and will be great once Grayson returns.  If it turns into something longer term, plenty of time to address it after that happens.  For now I see zero reason other than fatalism to think of this as anything other than a brief IL stint.  

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 04 May 2024 - 08:54 AM

I don't think we need  to add a Gibson type. The rotations seems solid as is. 

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,105 posts

Posted 04 May 2024 - 09:39 AM

Open to interpretation of what it means, but Rodriguez traveled with the team to Cincinnati.  McDonald mused that it was an encouraging sign about his injury and recovery.

#18 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 06:39 PM

Open to interpretation of what it means, but Rodriguez traveled with the team to Cincinnati. McDonald mused that it was an encouraging sign about his injury and recovery.

McDonald also said that Rodriguez threw off of flat ground recently (yesterday?). I think it's encouraging that he is apparently rehabbing with the team instead of traveling to Sarasota or Aberdeen.
  • Mackus likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,105 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 06:47 PM

McDonald also said that Rodriguez threw off of flat ground recently (yesterday?). I think it's encouraging that he is apparently rehabbing with the team instead of traveling to Sarasota or Aberdeen.

Yeah I'm fairly convinced this is an extremely minor issue. Glad they were in position to treat it with tons of caution without really missing a beat. That's another value to dept that I hadn't really considered.

#20 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 05 May 2024 - 06:50 PM

Yeah I'm fairly convinced this is an extremely minor issue. Glad they were in position to treat it with tons of caution without really missing a beat. That's another value to dept that I hadn't really considered.

Good point about the depth of this staff.

I didn't really consider it either.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=