Posted 25 April 2024 - 08:31 PM

agree

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,312 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:40 PM

Mason Miller certainly goes up to near the top on the dream acquisition list. 

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:53 PM

Just no belief in any of these guys in high lev spots. Of course they will at times succeed in high lev spots but the trust and comfort level is so low. Wish we had some of those Oak arms, not just Miller, to throw at the problem. Our guys just dont have great stuff. None of them. Thats half the battle

#24 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,816 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 03:53 PM

Is not good. Literally not a single guy out there you can trust in a tough situation.

#25 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:47 PM

I wanna see McDermott get his walks down to like 6 per 9 and then call him up for the pen. He's been spiraling all year so far though, so unlikely he helps anytime soon. I'm not desperate enough to bring Povich up for the pen, but another couple weeks of being this awful and I will be.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:55 PM

Kimbrel had been great until this weekend, so him dissolving in front of our eyes really hurts.  Hope its something weird and mechanical he can fix quick, but I'm skeptical, feels more like an injury to me.  Akin has been surprisingly good, but nobody else is doing anything of note over the past 3 weeks.  Take Kimbrel away from that and it's going to be a big challenge to hold leads, as we've seen.  Lets hope the SP and bats pick up the slack for a while until a couple guys get right and maybe we can find some other help.

#27 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 05:59 PM

Vespi for tomorrow I think . Long term oh boy. Where do we find some  "stuff" arms. Charles may be one but he has to throw strikes. McDermott has to get the BBs under control as well but he is also one..  Phelan may know if there are any other potential high K arms in the org. Povich def has to stay in the rotation IMO

• BobPhelan likes this

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 06:29 PM

Vespi for tomorrow I think . Long term oh boy. Where do we find some "stuff" arms. Charles may be one but he has to throw strikes. McDermott has to get the BBs under control as well but he is also one.. Phelan may know if there are any other potential high K arms in the org. Povich def has to stay in the rotation IMO

Didn't I tell you they were going to have to go outside the organization to fix the pen and you told me, in so many words, that I was an idiot?

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 06:41 PM

Didn't I tell you they were going to have to go outside the organization to fix the pen and you told me, in so many words, that I was an idiot?

Find the exchange if you really want to discuss it. I remember you saying there were no internal options at all and as I say above here as well Charles and McDermott could both be options. No one has ever said they wouldn't be interested in external options. Of course they will, but thats not likely to happen anytime soon. June and more likely July. 

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 06:46 PM

Kimbrel, Coulombe, Akin on pace to pitch in 78 games. Cano and Webb 84. Overmanage much. Breakdown or ineffectiveness is inevitable and its not like any of them are lights out to begin with.  He tries to get the "ideal" matchup every single time. Even if that means 3 pitchers in one inning.  You just cant do that. God imagine how often he would use guys if there wasnt a 3 batter min. Youd see guys on pace to appear in 100  games

#31 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 06:55 PM

Fans are about to find out how much Felix covered Hyde's butt last year and guess what he was overworking Felix too. Would Felix of broke down anyway? Maybe, but Hyde did him no favors. 

#32 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 07:15 PM

I know it would require being an individual and not worrying about the status quo in management of a pitching staff but Hyde needs to make these guys go an extra inning. Especially in the bullpen. There's no reason in hell that if your starter has gone 5 innings, you need to use 4 more pitchers. That's how you burn them out. Use 2 pitchers, rest everyone else and rotate them so they don't have to be out there so many consecutive games. Obviously, if they're getting hammered, that's a whole different situation but over the course of 162 games, that's the exception, not the norm. Will this happen? Of course not. So, get ready for the AAA express to begin soon.

#33 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 07:24 PM

I know it would require being an individual and not worrying about the status quo in management of a pitching staff but Hyde needs to make these guys go an extra inning. Especially in the bullpen. There's no reason in hell that if your starter has gone 5 innings, you need to use 4 more pitchers. That's how you burn them out. Use 2 pitchers, rest everyone else and rotate them so they don't have to be out there so many consecutive games. Obviously, if they're getting hammered, that's a whole different situation but over the course of 162 games, that's the exception, not the norm. Will this happen? Of course not. So, get ready for the AAA express to begin soon.

4 more guys?? That would be a miracle for Hyde. If a starter goes 5 innings and we are in position to win Hyde is gonna use 5+ pitchers much more often than he uses 4 or less to finish the game. Again, just look at the number of appearances and what how many these guys are on pace to appear in

#34 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,291 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 07:41 PM

4 more guys?? That would be a miracle for Hyde. If a starter goes 5 innings and we are in position to win Hyde is gonna use 5+ pitchers much more often than he uses 4 or less to finish the game. Again, just look at the number of appearances and what how many these guys are on pace to appear in

I was trying to be conservative in the numbers on average over the whole season. 4 pitchers is pushing it, let alone more.

#35 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:04 PM

The bullpen isn’t going to have a Felix or Miller at the back but we should certainly be improving the overall bullpen within the next two weeks. Bradish and Means in the rotation. Suarez, Irvin, Wells, and Perez addded to the bullpen. Ramirez gone. Baumann gone. Webb probably gone. Tate optioned or Perez DFA.

Kimbrel
Coulombe
Cano
Suárez
Akin
Wells
Perez
Irvin

That’s at least a strike throwing bullpen without too many gas cans. Kimbrel, if healthy needs to be worked more judiciously by Hyde.

McDermott still an option in Norfolk.

#36 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:25 PM

It's comical to me that anyone believes Hyde is making this stuff up as he goes along.

The FO that wants to be the most data and analytically driven is telling the Manger to wing it.  Sure.

-------------

The only thing I'll say about getting guys in is you don't want guys warming up multiple times.  That's the same as throwing in the Game, regardless of whether you logged Game innings.  Mazzilli was the worst at this.  Hyper warm the bullpen in case you need them and burn them without actually pitching.  Buck was great at this.  Have a feel for what you want and when you get guys warm, use them.

Buck may have had some notes, but he was hyper prepared.

Hyde has a script (prepares with that script).

I'm not grinding over bullpen moves because the reality is if they work you look good and if they don't (regardless of the merit) you look bad.  And bullpens are volatile and subject to hyper-reaction based of off SSS.

David Bednar (PIT) was been one of the best closers in MLB for a couple years and he's been absolute trash so far this year.

#37 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:26 PM

Kimbrel is prob going to IL. Wells hasnt started throwing as far as I know. With his elbow issue who knows if and when he makes it back. Suarez will be an asset in the pen when he proves it. Hes prob a long man anyway. This is such a suspect high lev group.

#38 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,388 posts

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:28 PM

You cant have 5 guys on pace to pitch in half the f'ing games. Anyone who thinks that is part of a script is a moron. An absolute idiot.

#39 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:32 PM

..... but we should certainly be improving the overall bullpen within the next two weeks. Bradish and Means in the rotation. Suarez, Irvin, Wells, and Perez added to the bullpen. Ramirez gone. Baumann gone. Webb probably gone. Tate optioned or Perez DFA.

Right.  Something like that.  The only issue is the changes don't add depth.  You lose the guy (Baumann, Webb, Perez) if you waive them.

If you think they are garbage and you (the general you) don't care, ok, but the next guy isn't any more of a guarantee than the guy you just walked away from.

Perez was bad (4.45) in the first half last year and everyone wanted to know what was wrong and all of us wanted to replace him....then he pitched his butt off (2.35) in the second half.

#40 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,765 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 28 April 2024 - 08:41 PM

You cant have 5 guys on pace to pitch in half the f'ing games. Anyone who thinks that is part of a script is a moron. An absolute idiot.

I'd guess it's organizationally intentional.  The the number of Games matters more if you are throwing more in those games.  It appears they think they can keep use rates (ie pitches per outing) much lower and make guys available more.  Kind of a flat burn rate versus more of a heartbeat burn rate. 

All Managers in todays Game get a script.  The Manager has to sit between the public/media and buffer the Analytics department.

It's comically ignorant to not understand that every Team, especially the Orioles, is doing this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=