• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 08:49 AM

If Bradish and Means get back to the rotation (and stay in the rotation) the bullpen should improve... 

- Pen workload should diminish

- Wells (if he gets healthy) can move back to the pen.

Think it's clear that the O's will need to add at-least one high leverage reliever. 

I mentioned Tanner Scott, and Michael Kopech as possible targets on the recent pod.

Currently:

Kimbrel
Cano

Coulombe
Akin

Baumann
Tate
Webb
Ramirez

Webb and Ramirez on borrowed time.

Will see if Tate can ramp things up over his next 10 outings or so.

Continue to like Baumann's arm, but still can't trust him.

Akin's been pretty solid. 

Perez is getting closer to getting back I think.

Suarez might get a chance in the pen as the rotation gets healthier. 

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 08:57 AM

I think internal through May is all we can hope for, since there aren't really trade partners this early (maybe Chi and Mia are exceptions as you note).  Once we get to June we can look external, probably not until July for the big dominant RP we need to add.

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 09:23 AM

I think Suarez is potentially a better asset for the pen than Irvin, and one of those two will be replaced when Bradish is activated.

Wells shouldn't be starting, so he should be a pen option as well.

Wells/Suarez for Ramirez and one of Webb/Baumann/Tate.

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 09:33 AM

Akin and Tate have options.  Baumann, Webb and Ramirez do not.  

Perez will also be coming back, so gonna need to demote or waive a few guys here soon.

#5 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 09:38 AM

I agree that we shouldn't panic yet because we have internal options opening up. After that we're probably gonna be stuck until the trade deadline.

#6 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 10:11 AM

How many lefties do you want to carry? Perez isn't taking Coulombe's spot and he's probably not a better option than Akin.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 10:25 AM

Doesn't matter to me what arm they use.

#8 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,267 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 10:42 AM

Assuming Bradish and Means come back this is what I see.

Kimbrel
Coulombe
Suárez
Cano
Wells
Perez
Tate
Irvin

They may want to option Tate and/or Aiken and keep Perez and Baumann/Webb

Baumann is the reliever version of Arrieta when he was an Oriole. He may find himself with another team but he’s too frustrating while he continues to try and figure it out. Hyde always raves about his stuff though so maybe he survives. I think Suarez could become a key setup man out there.

#9 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 12:11 PM

Agree that Suarez could be a key hi-level set-up man and even a second option as closer to give Kimbrel a break. But he's still needed in rotation and may be for a long time.

If our injured guys return and are effective, he becomes a reliever, the rotation's a lot stronger, and the Orioles roll on. But things don't look that great yet. Means hasn't done well. Who know when-or if--he'll find it? Bradish looks decent, but will his arm hold up? The only other internal option as starter at present is Povich. Has great numbers, but his control is shaky. Johnson and McDermott haven't performed.

I think they need another strong reliever now.

BTW, they pulled Povich today after 4.2 innings and 94 pitches. Only 1 run and 1 walk plus 7 K's. But again, he threw a lot of pitches.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 12:18 PM

I think they need another strong reliever now.

Not a lot of trade partners out there dealing RP in April.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 12:20 PM

The righties in the pen right now not named Cano and Kimbrel could easily find themselves gone or demoted. All are unreliabe ideally B squad 6th inning arms. Thats Baumann, Tate, Ramirez, and Webb. Thats too many JAGs out there. Especially since one of the two lefties is JAG too. We need a 3rd lefty for one. Vespi or Gonzalez

#12 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 12:58 PM

I'm not wild about Cano, either.

Agree that it's hard to find a good Majors reliever now. But perhaps they could pull off a minor league deal or two. At least check out the possibilities. 

There are a few relievers at Bowie and Norfolk w/good ERA's but none have pitched a lot. Hard to tell this early. 

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:03 PM

Im not wild about Kimbrel or Coloumbe either but I think those 3 will be fairly dependable. I wouldnt be worried about any of the other 5 going right now.

We will have some internal options over the next month or so assuming Bradish, Wells, and Means all return. Some shuffling before July to know what we need to target.

#14 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:03 PM

Tate has thrown better the last 2 outings.  Hopefully he is getting stronger.

@mikeghg

#15 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:13 PM

What we lack are shut-down relievers. We had the best on the planet, but he's gone. The O's can get by w/the present lineup for awhile. But when the top teams come along, our bullpen w/b exposed, I'm afraid. 

They simply have to upgrade if they are to advance in the postseason.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:15 PM

I dont get the Tate love. He may turn out to be decent enough but he missed all of last year, he wasnt that great in years past, hes only throwing 91-92. He doesnt strike guys out.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:22 PM

They def need a fireman type arm. Someone that you can bring in with a runner or runners on and no outs and can perserve a 1 run led. We already suck at stranding runners and as noted we havent faced any great offenses yet. We are very fortunate that we built up numerous multi run leads this trip. We almost blew 7, 6, and 4 run leads in the late innings on this trip.

#18 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,790 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:28 PM

Milwaukee has a great offense and we see how that series went. 26 runs in a 3 game series.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,359 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 01:45 PM

All that said, we sit at 16-8. 4th best record in baseball.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,287 posts

Posted 25 April 2024 - 02:53 PM

I think the solution to the bullpen dilemma is for the starters to just go longer. Even if its just for another inning. Try to eliminate that long relief deficiency as much as possible. Hyde is like most managers today in that everything has to follow a strict sequence of when a starter is done, regardless of the score. He needs to think a little more out of the box and not baby his starters as much. If they're getting hammered like Rodriguez the other day, there's not much you can do about that. But this, "nobody can exceed 6 innings" mentality is going to cause the usual bullpen burn out that accompanies that approach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=