Webb’s a zero.

#222 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:32 PM

Ramirez, Baumann, and Tate all gone before Webb. Arguably our #2 RH set up man behind Cano. Our current BP is in bad shape.

#223 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,776 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:38 PM

I haven't watched replay since they showed it right after, but looked to me like you could see he hadn't gone back immediately. Whether it was first step in or just frozen, he didnt break back immediately.

My take too.  Looked like he took a step in and then couldn't recover back.

Everyone has already said it.  Bad offense.  Kimbrel didn't have it.  Bad defense late.  You don't make plays you lose 1-run games.

What I'll keep pointing out is there aren't any 1 vs 16 Games in MLB.  This is a 5 vs 12 game.  You should absolutely win it,, but there isn't anything such as over-whelming Talent, even against the bad teams.  Anyone can win a game, good team win games more often. 

A's just split 4 with the Yankees and took game 1 from the Os.  Come back.  Earn today (tomorrow). 

• mdrunning likes this

#224 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 04:49 AM

It was smoked, but that doesn't mean it can't be caught. I thought McKenna took first step in and then got himself turned around when trying to recover. Usually he catches it, and would have if he'd only made one of those two mistakes. Certainly not an easy play, but also not an impossible one. It's at most a 50/50 ball.

Cowser's bad throw was worse, for sure.

I disagree, no way that a 50/50 ball.

Cowser 's air mail throw was the killer.
  • CantonJester likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#225 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 05:13 AM

They have to win the next 2.  Mandatory. 

#226 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 06:35 AM

They have to win the next 2. Mandatory.

Not mandatory. They'll be fine either way.
  • Mackus likes this

#227 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 07:21 AM

Nope, cancel the season if they don't win both!!

#228 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 07:24 AM

I'd settle for a split of the next two to salvage the season.

#229 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 07:59 AM

Losing 2 of 3 to Oakland?  Or being swept?  That would be downright embarrassing in my opinion.  Not that anyone on the Orioles cares about what I think but, in my mind, they really need to win the next 2 games.  If everyone else on here is OK with losing a home series to the A's, then so be it. 

#230 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:17 AM

Losing 2 of 3 to Oakland? Or being swept? That would be downright embarrassing in my opinion. Not that anyone on the Orioles cares about what I think but, in my mind, they really need to win the next 2 games. If everyone else on here is OK with losing a home series to the A's, then so be it.

Have you seen the pitching matchups? It's at best a 50/50 chance of them losing the series, and likely a higher percentage.

#231 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:25 AM

Oakland just split a four game series with NY. Their pitching is much improved on last year.

Their offense is terrible,though.

#232 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:29 AM

The situation, for me, just screamed to PR Mateo. By FAR the thing he offers the team is the ability to steal a base in a tight situation. That setup last night was taylor made for Mateo.

1. Good chance he can flat out steal 3rd and with lefties coming up he scores on a ground ball.

2. Having him out there gives Miller more to think about. He's not worried about Westburg there. Certainly not anywhere near the threat level of Mateo to run.

If you aren't going to use Mateo in that situation not sure why he's even on the team. Speed kills. Freaking use it.

And it would have been a one for one move. Just swap Mateo and Westburg in the field. 

• CantonJester likes this

#233 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:37 AM

Mateo has a role beyond punch running, so the "why is he even on the team" part is melodramatic.

If you PR Mateo for Westburg, then you can't PH for Urias or else you're out of infielders for the 11th and need Mountcastle at 3B or something unappealing like that. And a SB attempt is a gamble, if he's out then you're basically done. Not against that idea, either with Westburg or PR, but stealing in that scenario is lower odds than a more general scenario when it isn't as vital of a 90 feet.

I'd have done exactly what Hyde did. Cowser swings away and PH Kjerstad for Urias. I think wit the high K rate you're hoping for a hit in three at bats moreso than a flyout in one (or two if steal successful early enough in the first AB to matter).

#234 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,307 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:43 AM

Oakland just split a four game series with NY. Their pitching is much improved on last year.

Their offense is terrible,though.

I think by the end of the year, their pitching will be in the lower levels of MLB.  Not horribly bad but definitely not a top 10 staff.  And yes, their offense is terrible.  There's no excuse for the Orioles to lose games to Oakland.  Especially at home.  

#235 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:44 AM

Losing 2 of 3 to Oakland? Or being swept? That would be downright embarrassing in my opinion. Not that anyone on the Orioles cares about what I think but, in my mind, they really need to win the next 2 games. If everyone else on here is OK with losing a home series to the A's, then so be it.

I get what you're saying but they have already screwed this series up. This was a team cluster .... Ace on the mound, facing a bad team and a bad starting pitcher after an off day and we respond with bad offense, bad defense and bad relief pitching. Winning the next 2 would take some of the stink off of last night but that was a really bad loss.
  • jamesdean likes this

#236 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 April 2024 - 08:56 AM

Mateo has a role beyond punch running, so the "why is he even on the team" part is melodramatic.

If you PR Mateo for Westburg, then you can't PH for Urias or else you're out of infielders for the 11th and need Mountcastle at 3B or something unappealing like that. And a SB attempt is a gamble, if he's out then you're basically done. Not against that idea, either with Westburg or PR, but stealing in that scenario is lower odds than a more general scenario when it isn't as vital of a 90 feet.

I'd have done exactly what Hyde did. Cowser swings away and PH Kjerstad for Urias. I think wit the high K rate you're hoping for a hit in three at bats moreso than a flyout in one (or two if steal successful early enough in the first AB to matter).

Your take isn't wrong. And for sure if you PR Mateo you have to think a minute about being able to PH for Urias. But I just like my chances with a guy on 3rd and nobody out a lot more than 2nd and nobody out with albeit less risk in stealing.

#237 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 09:16 AM

Good teams lose series to bad teams all the time. If As sweep the Os it would stink but the "mandatory" talk is silly. Baltimore is a very good team. They'll be fine.

#238 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 April 2024 - 09:36 AM

Have you seen the pitching matchups? It's at best a 50/50 chance of them losing the series, and likely a higher percentage.

I changed my mind, baseball Slide is no different than football Slide.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#239 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 April 2024 - 09:37 AM

It was smoked, but that doesn't mean it can't be caught. I thought McKenna took first step in and then got himself turned around when trying to recover. Usually he catches it, and would have if he'd only made one of those two mistakes. Certainly not an easy play, but also not an impossible one. It's at most a 50/50 ball.

Cowser's bad throw was worse, for sure.

85% catch probability on the McKenna ball.

#240 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,136 posts

Posted 27 April 2024 - 09:43 AM

I changed my mind, baseball Slide is no different than football Slide.

Baseball slide still has genuine hope for this team now and in the future, so that just isn't true.

I admit that I get very frustrated with bad losses though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=