245 replies to this topic

#201 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:18 PM

Rooker is legit their only somewhat decent offensive player.

#202 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:18 PM

I wouldn't have bunted given the high odds of Ks. Not high enough odds for one guy to get a flyball. Steal is interesting, but PR Mateo for Westburg is I don't know.

#203 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:20 PM

The bottom of 10th was played the way it had to be played. Cowser has to make contact. Thats a spot where if you get eaten alive like Kjerstad did its still a win. But you have to make contact. If there is one game thread where the oldheads can be in here bitching about cutting down the swing, making contact, too many Ks, it was the Cowser AB.

#204 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,145 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:24 PM

Just dumb to say a 1 or 2 years away after the year they had last year and where we are now. Just a stupid comment.

There's like 5 different things wrong with this comment.

#205 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:26 PM

I know that people can say its hindsight and some people who dont understand baseball would bitch if we used someone else in the 9th and lost. That was a spot for a 36 yr old Kimbrel pitching for the 4th time in 6 games where I hope Hyde talked to him pregame and got an idea of how he was feeling. If he doesnt give you great answers you can give him another day off.

#206 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:26 PM

Second really annoying one of the year. Offense, Kimbrel, McKenna, Cowser...lotta blame to go around.

Kimbrel was wild from the git. Hyde probably should've had someone ready to replace him after the wild pitch, but what do I know. 

That double to RF by Toro off Kimbrel in the 9th was 105.9 mph off the bat almost directly at McKenna. Those are the shots that are the hardest to judge. If you wanna blame him for anything, he wasn't deep enough to make that play, but then again positioning gets called in from the bench). There isn't an OF on the roster who makes that play (that plays RF anyway). 

Agreed re: Cowser missing the cutoff. That was far, far worse than anything McKenna did. Cowser to Gunnar (and an accurate throw to the plate) to Adley gets Langeliers by 5 feet.

#207 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,257 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:27 PM

Nah. THat ball was smoked. UNless Santander is super deep which I guess he could be in that sit

That ball was smoked.

Looked like a legitimate double to me.

I can't believe Kevin Brown said "The ball found" McKenna.

The guy is getting very full of himself.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#208 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:29 PM

That ball was smoked.

Yeah I agree. To me it was a legit double all the way

#209 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:31 PM

Sears and Blackburn won't be easy, either. Oakland pitching staff not much worse than Baltimore to start the year. ERAs nearly identical.

#210 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:33 PM

That ball was smoked.

It was smoked, but that doesn't mean it can't be caught. I thought McKenna took first step in and then got himself turned around when trying to recover. Usually he catches it, and would have if he'd only made one of those two mistakes. Certainly not an easy play, but also not an impossible one. It's at most a 50/50 ball.

Cowser's bad throw was worse, for sure.

#211 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:34 PM

Tampa got smoked by an even worse Chicago team. If NY loses it'll be an all loss night for the ALE.

#212 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:36 PM

Im not sure how you could judge McKennas jump unless you were at the game and watching him. Camera panned too late to 1. Know where he was positioned. 2. The route/jump.

I just know 106 off the bat is a seed.
  • russsnyder likes this

#213 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:37 PM

No way to cover this one up. It was a bad loss all around.

#214 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:37 PM

Im not sure how you could judge McKennas jump unless you were at the game and watching him. Camera panned too late to 1. Know where he was positioned. 2. The route/jump.

I just know 105 off the bat on a line is a seed.

I haven't watched replay since they showed it right after, but looked to me like you could see he hadn't gone back immediately. Whether it was first step in or just frozen, he didnt break back immediately.

Not saying easy, but saying it was catchable. McKenna will say he should've caught it.

Strong chance Kimbrel still gives up the lead even if he makes the catch.

#215 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:48 PM

Blowing the lead gets the attention and rightfully so, but offense only putting up 2 in 10 innings gets the bulk of the blame. Just not any one or two things to point to there like with the 9th and 10th innings on the mound/field, it's a slower more collective failure.

#216 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,419 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:53 PM

What Ive been warning/bitching about for awhile now. Said the last few wins we were lucky we had built up a big lead and I was as insecure as could be if we were in a 1 or even 2 run game handing it to the pen. My concern proved valid tonight. Even against a poor hitting team

#217 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,022 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:56 PM

1 run leads are always tough unless you've got a true stud closer. Pen has been shaky for a couple weeks now. They'll have (and already had) better stretches, but we need help to be anything better than ok. Maybe internal will be enough. Expect to add external at deadline. It won't bury us, but it's a weakness right now.

#218 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 09:56 PM

Very few good ABs and hard hit balls tonight. Obviously the Ced HR. Cowser smoked a single early. Santander and Rutschman with bloops. O'Hearn with a couple hard hit grounders that found holes.

#219 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:21 PM

Webb needs to go. He is not worthy of being on this roster with what is brewing right now. Good bye.

#220 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,851 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 10:29 PM

I'd keep Webb over Baumann. He's not a guy you want in that 10th inning situation, but whatever. Not many guys like Bautista or a Mason Miller you want in that situation.

Webb is fine as your 6th/7th inning guy more times than not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=