https://www.masnspor...nd-construction

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:43 PM

They've all been fine to an extent. I probably have the least amount of trust in Webb and Baumann, but they are fine for where they should be used at.

Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, and Tate are fine for the back end. Even Akin looks better - it appears he came into the season in much better shape.

I would like to see Saurez factored into the BP if any of the starters get healthy.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,922 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 03:45 PM

It's fine.  It's not a weapon, but its not a fatal flaw either.  Do think the bullpen is the weakest unit on the team and will be an area we should look to address with as good of an arm as we can find come deadline time.  That's pending the returns of Means and Bradish, if one or both of those don't go well then SP will be a bigger need.  Certainly think there is ammo to improve both units in July, and likely would be the right and smart thing to do.

I don't view Suarez as a BP answer anymore than I do Perez returning soon, but crazier things have happened.  Also think someone from the grouping of McDermott, Johnson and Povich could help the pen (less so the rotation, but maybe).

#4 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:08 PM

It's fine.  It's not a weapon, but its not a fatal flaw either.  Do think the bullpen is the weakest unit on the team and will be an area we should look to address with as good of an arm as we can find come deadline time.  That's pending the returns of Means and Bradish, if one or both of those don't go well then SP will be a bigger need.  Certainly think there is ammo to improve both units in July, and likely would be the right and smart thing to do.

I don't view Suarez as a BP answer anymore than I do Perez returning soon, but crazier things have happened.  Also think someone from the grouping of McDermott, Johnson and Povich could help the pen (less so the rotation, but maybe).

I think Suarez shows the stuff and command to be a high leverage reliever. Baumann has the stuff but not the command. If Bradish comes back the 5th starter comes down to Means, Wells, Irvin, or Suarez. The losers are headed to the pen. Bullpen keepers are Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe. Everyone else is vulnerable to some extent. IF Bradish comes back and pitches well, the trickle effect should help the bullpen as well.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:38 PM

The Suarez love is pretty funny. I mean anything is possible but the dude has been mediocre in the minors/foreign leagues for years now. He had one good start against a pudrid offense. Slow the roll. Odds are he will be DFAd before summer.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:51 PM

Couple other thoughts. I dont really trust Tate much. Not stuff wise and its also apparent he is being babied. Not sure why hes lumped in with the other "back end" guys listed above.

-I see why they picked up Ramirez. Cant really trust him yet. Could easily be gome soon. The stuff can be really good though. His issue appears to be control as the career 5.0 BB/9 will attest

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 April 2024 - 04:53 PM

The Suarez love is pretty funny. I mean anything is possible but the dude has been mediocre in the minors/foreign leagues for years now. He had one good start against a pudrid offense. Slow the roll. Odds are he will be DFAd before summer.

Fastball velocity is up 3-4 ticks from 2023.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,266 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:18 PM

They'll add a high leverage reliever at the deadline.

Pen will also improve if Bradish and Means get back into the rotation and are effective.

#9 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:19 PM

Fastball velocity is up 3-4 ticks from 2023.

He kinda didnt even deserve the call. I mean SSS in AAA but his 15 innings down there were not good.

#10 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:40 PM

I mean, he's an arm, and Wells' elbow dictated somebody get the call. But yeah, dude was straight up BP in AAA this season. 

This team needs pitching help. Relying on Bradish and Means to both return in order to see the benefits in the BP is a risky plan.

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 April 2024 - 08:01 PM

He kinda didnt even deserve the call. I mean SSS in AAA but his 15 innings down there were not good.

Disagree. 17 strikeouts to 1 walk. 3.41 FIP, 2.94 xFIP.

#12 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,323 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 April 2024 - 04:09 PM

The bullpen is not that good. They will have some good nights. And they will have some lousy ones like last night. Not the bullpen we need to be a legit contender.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,286 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 04:40 PM

I got out ahead of Tate yesterday. If the guy needs this much rest between outings and is mediocre then just move on already. I promise he wont be a guy you will regret losing.

#14 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:06 PM

I got out ahead of Tate yesterday. If the guy needs this much rest between outings and is mediocre then just move on already. I promise he wont be a guy you will regret losing.

He has an option, use it.

#15 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,770 posts

Posted 20 April 2024 - 05:25 PM

Command looks alright, off speed stuff is OK, but he isn't fooling with with 91-92.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=