162 replies to this topic

#121 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:21 PM

Goes to show that during any week a great team can look like scrubs and a bad team can look great.

Based on their hot start I expected more out of the Red Sox. Their defense is awful

#122 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,417 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 10:54 PM

Goes to show that during any week a great team can look like scrubs and a bad team can look great.

Based on their hot start I expected more out of the Red Sox. Their defense is awful

Of the 24 runs scored against them before Wednesday's game, 11 have been unearned.

#123 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,326 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 04:34 AM

Outstanding comeback.

The bullpen was outstanding.

Kimbrel has looked really good the last couple of outings.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#124 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 04:55 AM

Feels like you are stealing when you win on nights Irvin starts. 

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#125 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 05:09 AM

Seems like they are regularly struggling just to pick up balls hit into the outfield.

• JoyinMudville likes this

#126 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:15 AM

Akin is probably the most impressive player so far. Just filthy stuff. Hope he can maintain it. We could really use a shutdown RP out there this year.
  • DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#127 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:46 AM

Shoulda kept Teheran and dropped Irvin. Never understood why they kept him.

Akin indeed could be a key player in the pen. 

#128 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,748 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:51 AM

Teheran got shelled in his only start so far. Irvin was actually OK last night. He got squeezed by the ump a few times, had some bad luck and then allowed a HR. Hopefully he'll be in the BP soon, but he's not a horrible 5th SP.

• CantonJester and makoman like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#129 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:57 AM

He's a horrible 8th starter.

• Ravens2006 likes this

#130 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 06:59 AM

Teheran got shelled in his only start so far. Irvin was actually OK last night. He got squeezed by the ump a few times, had some bad luck and then allowed a HR. Hopefully he'll be in the BP soon, but he's not a horrible 5th SP.

I do think he's a horrible 5th starter.  He's not a horrible 7th starter, which is what he is on this team (at least until Johnson/McDermott/Povich pass him), and unfortunately we need 7 right now.

#131 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:00 AM

Shoulda kept Teheran and dropped Irvin. Never understood why they kept him.

Akin indeed could be a key player in the pen. 

Irvin is better than Teheran by quite a bit, IMO.  Teheran was slightly better as a SP last season, but I think that was pretty flukey, whereas Irvin has been pretty consistently "this bad" and no worse for a while.

#132 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:07 AM

He's a horrible 8th starter.

Last year he had a 4.81 ERA as a SP.  177 guys started for 50+ innings last year, including Irvin.  Irvin's ERA was 117th on that list.  He's not someone you want in your rotation, but he's about as good of depth as you can hope for.  Calling him a "horrible 8th starter" is not something you can seriously support with anything of substance.  Its ok to vent, though.  He has been really bad both outings this year, which happens plenty often for guys of his caliber who don't belong in a competitive rotation.  He'll get bumped soon for Means. 

#133 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,057 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:21 AM

Irvin didn't pitch horrible last night. Defense let him down for a run and a Monster aided 2-R HR that barely went over. Easily could've been one of those 5-6IP 1 or 2 run games.

#134 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:25 AM

Irvin didn't pitch horrible last night. Defense let him down for a run and a Monster aided 2-R HR that barely went over. Easily could've been one of those 5-6IP 1 or 2 run games.

He got some bad breaks but he also put himself in position for those bad breaks to be costly.  10 base-runners including a homer in 5 innings is bad.  Sometimes you can get around allowing that many runners and keep runs off the board (the Red Sox starter did), sometimes not.  

#135 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 09:46 AM

He got some bad breaks but he also put himself in position for those bad breaks to be costly. 10 base-runners including a homer in 5 innings is bad. Sometimes you can get around allowing that many runners and keep runs off the board (the Red Sox starter did), sometimes not.

Exactly. He is nails on a chalkboard. Stuff isnt good. Loses control/command. Puts runners on base consistently. Its beyond a chore to watch. Kremer can be a chore at times but I do watch. Irvin makes me want to just turn it off til the offense is up and hope for the best

#136 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,398 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:27 AM

If Means and Bradish don't last and they have to shut both down, they really need to address the 5th starter situation.  Irvin is not the answer and you're basically saying, "well, if we score 7-10 runs, we'll win but otherwise, it's probably a loss."  Just like a No. 1 keeps losing streaks from getting out of hand, pitchers like Irvin keep you from accumulating wins.  It's a major problem.  I trust Elias has a plan in case Means and Bradish aren't available long term.  Maybe McDermott? 

#137 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:31 AM

McDermotts walk rate is insane so far. Povich has had two good starts. Im not sure how close he is to being a real option to be called up. Did they every give a timeline on Means. I would imagine hes still at least 2 or 3 Norfolk starts away. Still, I think he is tracking to be up here around the start of May

#138 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,200 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:33 AM

McDermotts walk rate is insane so far. Povich has had two good starts. Im not sure how close he is to being a real option to be called up. Did they every give a timeline on Means. I would imagine hes still at least 2 or 3 Norfolk starts away. Still, I think he is tracking to be up here around the start of May

I expect Bradish and Means to be pitching in the rotation before June 1.

#139 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:35 AM

Unless Means has a setback or is just really poor he will be up here sooner than later. 2 or 3 weeks.

#140 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 11 April 2024 - 10:37 AM

Bradish is just starting out but there is probably gonna be more caution with him. If he is back by before June 1 thats a big win

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=