162 replies to this topic

#161 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 08:16 AM

Its ultimately the pitchers calling their own game. If you dont like a pitch as a pitcher and throw it anyway because thats what the C called thats on you.

#162 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:19 AM

Pitch com is only from catcher to pitcher. There is no access to the system from the dugout, bullpen or other players. Catchers can of course still take signs from the dugout then relay those to the pitcher just like they always have been able to do. No idea how often that happens, but I'd be a bit surprised if its more than infrequently. Don't really see the catcher looking into the dugout too often, especially not with bases empty. Pitch clock a factor, too, not enough time for too many hops in the communication line.

I stand corrected. I forgot that pitch com came from the catcher. You don't see the catcher looking into the dugout too often. They may occasionally in different situations.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#163 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,217 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:21 AM

Its ultimately the pitchers calling their own game. If you dont like a pitch as a pitcher and throw it anyway because thats what the C called thats on you.

Right, the pitcher can always shake off the sign, pitch com, or whatever. While you like to have synergy between the pitcher and catcher, ultimately the pitcher has the final decision on what he's going to throw. As a former catcher, I have been blamed before for calling the wrong pitch when someone hit a homer or extra base hit. I never threw a pitcher under the bus and it was a rare occasion when a pitcher said " It was on me."
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=