77 replies to this topic

#21 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 11:05 PM

They are 5-2 and you only really have room for either Holliday or Mayo. Urias is the hole that can be improved upon. If you call both up then one of Mayo or Westburg sits against RHP. O Hearn has earned his reg spot against RHP. The problem is this thought that these guys are going to come up and put up the same numbers in MLB that they are in AAA. Especially, guys like Norby and Stowers. They certainly deserve a shot in MLB but the Os arent going to move the guys in front of those 2 nor should they.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 11:11 PM

Mateo could go but hes a bench guy. You call someone up for me they arent getting reg ABs. Cowser should hopefully continue to get a good number of ABs against RHP but Hays deserves those starts vs LHP. Mullins and Santander are locked in and should be. Mullins may only be a league avg hitter now but he still will run down balls in CF and you only need to see Mateo try out there to understand how valuable a good def CF is vs an avg to below avg one. There are no easy solutions for Stowers or even Kjerstad without an injury. If one was RH you could argue more for one of them to potentially replace Hays. We cant have an all lefty hitting OF. You cant expose yourself to LHP more than we already have

#23 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,259 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 05 April 2024 - 11:18 PM

...and I'll add this....personally, I'd like to see them commit to something.  Committing to 'everything' seems like a strategy that's destined to make everyone unhappy.  

This isn't the time of year that teams make significant moves through trade so those that aren't able to roll with the team today are going to have to wait.

#24 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 05 April 2024 - 11:29 PM

They are committed to their regulars right now other than Urias. You have 2 pending FAs in OHearn in Santander. Hays is far from guaranteed to be offered arb. There is nothing wrong with having real good depth at AAA. Injuries are surely coming and next year opens up much more PT. Mayo and Holliday are the uber prospects who will be here this year and playing regularly soon enough. You can take those two to the bank. Kjerstad, Norby, Stowers just have to wait.
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#25 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 06 April 2024 - 07:28 AM

Nothing I have seen so far in Baltimore and Norfolk has made me change my thinking. The O's made a major mistake this past off season not trading for more pitching.

They knew Bradish and Means were hurt.

They knew Bautista was out for the season.

They knew the last two years Wells has hit a major wall just after the ASB.

They knew the contract status of all their players. 

Santander and O'Hearn are the only field players who enter FA after this season. Then they added Kemp who also would be a FA (weirdest move ever).

They moved one piece. Should have moved more (whether that was Norfolk guys or O's. I guess the good news is that if the Norfolk guys continue to mash like this maybe there will be some moves this summer?

• SonicAttack likes this

#26 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 08:18 AM

Nothing I have seen so far in Baltimore and Norfolk has made me change my thinking. The O's made a major mistake this past off season not trading for more pitching.

They knew Bradish and Means were hurt.

They knew Bautista was out for the season.

They knew the last two years Wells has hit a major wall just after the ASB.

They knew the contract status of all their players. 

Santander and O'Hearn are the only field players who enter FA after this season. Then they added Kemp who also would be a FA (weirdest move ever).

They moved one piece. Should have moved more (whether that was Norfolk guys or O's. I guess the good news is that if the Norfolk guys continue to mash like this maybe there will be some moves this summer?

They should have signed another FA pitcher or two. Still in no rush to trade anyone. If thats necessary in the coming months it will happen

#27 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 09:28 AM

Perhaps they were hoping that McDermott, Povich or Johnson could fill a slot later in the year. Could still happen down the pike.

#28 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,892 posts

Posted 06 April 2024 - 11:10 AM

They should have signed another FA pitcher or two. Still in no rush to trade anyone. If thats necessary in the coming months it will happen

Definitely agree with this. I don't know how hard they went after Montgomery but it should have been a lot more aggressive than it apparently was. They absolutely need another starter that's better than Kremer and Irvin. You just can't depend on Bradish and Means long term.

#29 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 05:42 AM

Can Cowser play LF?  If so, why is Hays ever starting?  I don't care about lefty/righty because Hays can't hit either.

#30 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 06:33 AM

Can Cowser play LF? If so, why is Hays ever starting? I don't care about lefty/righty because Hays can't hit either.

I think Cowser is gonna start seriously cutting into Hays's time in LF vs RHP.

#31 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,555 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 April 2024 - 08:16 AM

Hays went 2 for 8 in the first two games. With two singles, 1 RBI, 1 BB, and 2 Ks. Ok, but barely.

Since then he has played in 6 games

18 at bats

0 hits

2 BBs

5 Ks

1 RBI

Yes he has made a couple of nice plays on the OF. And I really like him. But this can't continue.

• 85Knight likes this

#32 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,543 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 08:51 AM

Hays went 2 for 8 in the first two games. With two singles, 1 RBI, 1 BB, and 2 Ks. Ok, but barely.

Since then he has played in 6 games

18 at bats
0 hits
2 BBs
5 Ks
1 RBI

Yes he has made a couple of nice plays on the OF. And I really like him. But this can't continue.

It absolutely can't. These games matter too.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,096 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:29 AM

Hays looks um...hurt. I think he needs some time on the IL.

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,722 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:35 AM

Hays definitely does not look right.

While I don't agree with Mikezpens idea of moving Gunnar or Holliday to center, I don't think it's ridiculous either. The premise that a MLB SS can play center is certainly a plausible one. I just wouldn't make that move right now.

Holliday will be up to play second sooner than later. I think the other move will be to bring up Mayo and DFA Urias. You'll likely lose some D at third with Westburg and Mayo, but at some point you have to move one of Urias or Mateo. I just think Mateo is a more valuable piece for this team right now .

Also, I agree with those who are suggesting a more strict platoon with Hays and Cowser. Hayes is rolling over grounders to short and hitting routine flys. Westburg/Mayo should also be looked at to cut into his ABs if he doesn't heat up soon.

<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,719 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:45 AM

Hayes definitely does not look right.

While I don't agree with Mikezpens idea off Gunnar or Holliday to center, I don't think it's ridiculous either. The premise that a MLB SS can play center is certainly a plausible one. I wouldn't make that move right now.

Holliday will be up to play second sooner than later. I think the other move will be to bring up Mayo and DFA Urias. You'll likely lose some D at third with Westburg and Mayo, but at some point you have to move one of Urias or Mateo. I just think Mateo is a more valuable piece for this team right now .

Also, I agree with those who are suggesting a more strict platoon with Hayes and Cowser. Hayes is rolling over grounders to short and hitting routine flys. Mayo/Westburg should be looked at to cut into his ABs if he doesn't heat up soon.

I wont rail on those overreacting to SSS and make a real hot take but I do think we have to consider that Westburg may not be an everyday reg. At least not anything more than an avg one. I would think he can at least give you what Urias has given us the last 2 or 3 years. You could live with that as your 8th or 9th guy. But Mayo, Henderson, and Holliday for all the world right now appear to be the 3b, SS, and 2b for the near future. Only way I see thats not the case is if Mayo cant play a good enough 3b and even then I think he slots in every day at 1b or DH.

It does intrigue me a bit to ponder on how good of a CF Holliday could be. But hes already penciled in at an up the middle position and I think he will be a solid def 2b so no need to fool around with trying him in CF
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2024 - 07:37 PM

Hays aged 5 years since last season ended somehow. 

#37 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:03 PM

One painless move U can make quickly is bring up Druby, who plays third and outfield, and drop Kemp, who provides nothing. Mite provide some clout at Fenway.

But any major bring-up is gonna mean trading a veteran, and that mite take some deliberation

I wouldn't give up on Westberg yet, not with the years he's had in high minors.

#38 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:07 PM

Shave the mustache. It's weighing him down.

#39 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,970 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 08 April 2024 - 09:45 PM

One painless move U can make quickly is bring up Druby, who plays third and outfield, and drop Kemp, who provides nothing. Mite provide some clout at Fenway.

But any major bring-up is gonna mean trading a veteran, and that mite take some deliberation

I wouldn't give up on Westberg yet, not with the years he's had in high minors.

Who is Druby???

#40 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,624 posts

Posted 08 April 2024 - 10:19 PM

Who is Druby???

Ha. Not only who is Druby but I didn’t know we had someone in Norfolk who plays 3B and outfield. Lol

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=