I legit dont know if that was a Norby or Mayo misclick
  • BobPhelan likes this

#42 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 05:40 AM

Can Cowser play LF?  If so, why is Hays ever starting?  I don't care about lefty/righty because Hays can't hit either.

The O's want Cowser to take over LF.
He's going to take over LF at some point. 

While Hays is still on the team, Hays is going to play.... and while he has had a sorry 26 ab's, it's 26 ab's. 
Good grief.

"He didn't hit in the 2nd half last year either."

Actually...  he was beyond horrible in July with a below .500 OPS, scorching hot in August, and below average in September. 

Overall, he had a .769 OPS for the year, made the AS team, and played good defense (by UZR/150, DRS, and OOA) in LF. 

The O's have a young option in Cowser with lots of team control, and probably higher upside. 
He's going to get the job soon. 

Let Hays get on one of his hot streaks, and you can trade him then. 

#43 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 06:24 AM

The O's want Cowser to take over LF.
He's going to take over LF at some point. 

While Hays is still on the team, Hays is going to play.... and while he has had a sorry 26 ab's, it's 26 ab's. 
Good grief.

"He didn't hit in the 2nd half last year either."

Actually...  he was beyond horrible in July with a below .500 OPS, scorching hot in August, and below average in September. 

Overall, he had a .769 OPS for the year, made the AS team, and played good defense (by UZR/150, DRS, and OOA) in LF. 

The O's have a young option in Cowser with lots of team control, and probably higher upside. 
He's going to get the job soon. 

Let Hays get on one of his hot streaks, and you can trade him then. 

Ok.  With the offense struggling over the past two series, do you go with the guy that had a great spring and has hit .455 with a small sample of at bats to start the season, or the streaky veteran who looks completely lost at the plate?

#44 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 09 April 2024 - 06:56 AM

Sure its early and Hays looks lost. And he is a streaky hitter. So just how long do you ride that horse until you decided a change is needed?

50 at bats? 100 at bats?

#45 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 07:25 AM

Sure its early and Hays looks lost. And he is a streaky hitter. So just how long do you ride that horse until you decided a change is needed?

50 at bats? 100 at bats?

Hopefully they don't go full Caleb Joseph with it...  :)

#46 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:17 AM

50 at bats? 100 at bats?

I think the time is very close for Cowser to be straight platooning with Hays. Yeah, Hayes is streaky, however, like Bob Phelps. State, " He looks like He's aged five years since last season." It,'s not just the loss of hair or mustache either. Hopefully, He'll break out of it.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:21 AM

At minimum Hays is already giving up 50% of his ABs vs RHP to Cowser. Quite possibly more. He will and should still start vs LHP. We will see who gets the nod today against a RHP. Cowser has had the last 2 against KC and Pitt. If its Cowser again today, I think its safe to call it a platoon. Hays will prob get a few starts vs RHP but not many. And it should absolutely be Cowser today. He performed in both of those starts. If he were to hit a wall again Hays might regain some time against RHP but for now you let the kid go.
  • russsnyder likes this

#48 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,766 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:27 AM

https://www.masnspor...eries-in-boston

He didn’t hit in spring training and isn’t hitting now. He had a stomach bug in Sarasota and was under the weather in Pittsburgh.  

I mean if he was under the weather in Pittsburgh than why was he even in the lineup at all?  If he  was hitting well I get it, but he hasn't been so why even send him out there?

• CantonJester and SonicAttack like this

#49 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,430 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:30 AM

Ok. With the offense struggling over the past two series, do you go with the guy that had a great spring and has hit .455 with a small sample of at bats to start the season, or the streaky veteran who looks completely lost at the plate?

I expected them to trade Hays before the season.
It didn't happen.
Since they kept him on the roster, I'd continue to play him and look to trade him after he wakes up.

Also, I wouldn't have Cowser on the ML team right now....but since he is, I would be finding him starts 3-4 games a week. Certainly 1 or 2 of those games will come at Hays expense.

#50 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,224 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:32 AM

Hays must be hearing the foot steps of younger, better players

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:34 AM

Because of the platoon situation. You could certainly argue Cowser could have got one of the starts against the 2 lefties in Pitt but this all speaks to the holes we have right now vs LHP. You either start a young lefty vs a lefty and theyve shown they dont really prefer that or you start a struggling Hays.

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:39 AM

Hays wont be worth trading. I mean you never say never but will have enough value to the Os as a platoon OF and injury insurance. We already are exposed enough vs LHP we cant trade away another RH bat. I mean sure you could hypothetically trade Hays and say pick up a Tommy Pham or something like that. I just dont think its worth it. Hays isnt going to get you much in return. Keep the bird in the hand.
  • mdrunning likes this

#53 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,050 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 08:44 AM

I mean... if Hays had a stomach bug ALL SPRING and was under the weather in PIT... maybe he should take some real time off and see a doctor or something...

#54 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 09:21 AM

Hays wont be worth trading. I mean you never say never but will have enough value to the Os as a platoon OF and injury insurance. We already are exposed enough vs LHP we cant trade away another RH bat. I mean sure you could hypothetically trade Hays and say pick up a Tommy Pham or something like that. I just dont think its worth it. Hays isnt going to get you much in return. Keep the bird in the hand.

I agree.

Plus, since he has a history of a streaky player, I prefer to ride that hot streak rather than trade him during it or afterwards. I think He's more valuable to the Orioles than what he might return in a deal.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#55 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:15 AM

SORRY. Connor Norby who plays second and corner outfield and batting damn near .400.

Him.

:oops:

• BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

#56 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,639 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 April 2024 - 05:03 PM

Hays does have an option...

• SonicAttack likes this

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,938 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 09:15 PM

Demoting Hays would be quite a message.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,542 posts

Posted 09 April 2024 - 11:17 PM

Hays does have an option...

Interesting but would be shocking. Think that would ruffle feathers in the clubhouse. More likely they would find a reason to IL him.

#59 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 05:46 AM

One thing they should NOT do is take a promising young talent like Colton Cowser and turn him into a platooner just to save a role for Hays. 

• CantonJester likes this

#60 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,738 posts

Posted 10 April 2024 - 07:14 AM

One thing they should NOT do is take a promising young talent like Colton Cowser and turn him into a platooner just to save a role for Hays. 

This times a thousand. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=