116 replies to this topic

#101 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 15,081 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 April 2024 - 08:15 PM

Irvin just said the stuff was there tonight. If the stuff was there tonight God help us all when its not there

The command is what was off in the second half of the spring and continued tonight. Was also the issue early last season. I think he'll be fine when he's back in the long man role.

#102 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,764 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 08:21 PM

Cowser isn't playing scared anymore. This is the defense I saw from him coming up.

It was all mental last year, I hope.

• BobPhelan likes this

#103 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,194 posts

Posted 02 April 2024 - 09:10 PM

Jury still out on Cowser in mutiple ways. But would like to see him get some reg ABs to see what we have. Let him settle in. 

#104 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,956 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 04:12 AM

Jury still out on Cowser in mutiple ways. But would like to see him get some reg ABs to see what we have. Let him settle in.

I agree.

To parrot Bob, Cowser looks like he belongs.

Use him in center and left to get him some run.

He's played pretty well in his limited time thus far.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#105 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:11 AM

Agree with others. A totally different looking Cowser in the OF from last year. Now get him in the lineup more than he's not and let him figure out his approach at the plate.

#106 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:39 AM

I think it should be pretty easy to find 3-4 starts a week for Cowser and go from there.  

#107 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:49 AM

I think it should be pretty easy to find 3-4 starts a week for Cowser and go from there.

It's only easy if they're willing to do something hard, like sit Hays 2 games a week.

#108 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:50 AM

It's only easy if they're willing to do something hard, like sit Hays 2 games a week.

Right, like I said, should be easy :)

#109 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:53 AM

I know it was only the 5th game, but O’Hearn looked awful trying to track down that triple by Garcia last night. I think both Cowser and Santander make that catch (though Santander may have had to dive). 

I don’t like Hays getting a night off when Santander gets DH duty. Not when your 5th OF is Ryan O’Hearn. 

I get that the O’s lineup made Alec Marsh look like Orel Hershiser, but still..

#110 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:54 AM

Right, like I said, should be easy :)

Yep, no problem at all.

#111 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 08:58 AM

Hey do y'all recall when people were saying it would be easy to get Ortiz consistent playing time too?

I really enjoyed the trade no one, play everyone stance from that time. Ok, slight hyperbole.

#112 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:06 AM

I know it was only the 5th game, but O’Hearn looked awful trying to track down that triple by Garcia last night. I think both Cowser and Santander make that catch (though Santander may have had to dive).

I don’t like Hays getting a night off when Santander gets DH duty. Not when your 5th OF is Ryan O’Hearn.

I get that the O’s lineup made Alec Marsh look like Orel Hershiser, but still..

I agree that O'Hearn should ideally be at DH with backup 1B time mixed in rather than the OF.

#113 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:13 AM

Agree with this.  Pick one.  I'd only use O'Hearn when there is an in-game scenario which leaves him as one of the last 3 OF standing, such as injury or pinch hit decisions.  I wouldn't avoid him at all costs, but I don't think I'd start him unless there is a good reason to sit two of the four capable outfielders.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#114 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,946 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:16 AM

Hey do y'all recall when people were saying it would be easy to get Ortiz consistent playing time too?

I really enjoyed the trade no one, play everyone stance from that time. Ok, slight hyperbole.

It'd be easy right now.  Urias, Mateo, and Kemp have made 6 starts already.  I'd have given 5 of those to Ortiz (impossible to give all 6).

Once Holliday is up...then it's a challenge.  But still think you could do something like we're talking about with Cowser.  One full day off a week for Westburg and Holliday, one DH day for Gunnar.

Obviously happy with the trade, though.

#115 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,793 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:20 AM

It'd be easy right now.  Urias, Mateo, and Kemp have made 6 starts already.  I'd have given 5 of those to Ortiz (impossible to give all 6).

Once Holliday is up...then it's a challenge.  But still think you could do something like we're talking about with Cowser.  One full day off a week for Westburg and Holliday, one DH day for Gunnar.

Ohhh Kemp plays a passable LF too (Cowser in RF in that scenario). 

#116 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,563 posts

Posted 03 April 2024 - 09:32 AM

It'd be easy right now. Urias, Mateo, and Kemp have made 6 starts already. I'd have given 5 of those to Ortiz (impossible to give all 6).

Once Holliday is up...then it's a challenge. But still think you could do something like we're talking about with Cowser. One full day off a week for Westburg and Holliday, one DH day for Gunnar.

Yes, easy now. The post Holliday and Mayo time though, nah, not happening.

#117 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 03 April 2024 - 10:06 AM

Here's the bottom line.

There are just NOT enough at bats to get everybody the playing time we'd like to see. Even using DH unless you are ok with sitting guys like Adley, Gunnar, and Tony its just not going to work. And I am not wanting to see those guys sit hardly ever. So even when I don't have them in the field I want them to DH.

Even in a week when you play 6 games and have a day off:

Gunnar 5 days in field and 1 DH. 

Adley 4 days catching and 2 days DH

Tony 4 days in field and 1 day DH

Of this group Tony is the only guy I am ok with fully sitting out qame.

That leaves one day for a SS, two days for McCann, and 2 days for Cowser in RF. And 2 days open for DH.

Infield can work ok for now but not for long. Holliday and Mayo add to the mix and they will need to be on the field more often than not, especially Holliday.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=