57 replies to this topic

#41 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:38 PM

Maybe they really and truly expect Bradish and Means back soon.

At this point, I'd say its wishful thinking.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#42 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

The Orioles were "in" on him. He chose to play for Arizona. It happens.

Did the Orioles actually make him an offer? I haven't seen anything to confirm they did.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:07 PM

Os have to start taking advantage of opportunities like these. You cant make a guy sign with you but we are still never going to pay premium FA prices . When a top FAs price drops for whatever reason and he fits a need you have to jump. Securing Montgomery for a year or two would have been huge.

#44 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:21 PM

In on him for one year, and if all goes well, a player option for next season? Or in on him for two guaranteed years and he chose the lesser offer to play for Arizona. 

Seems to me if all it took was a two year deal then the O’s missed a huge opportunity to bolster their rotation. 

#45 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:32 PM

Not buying this. In on him doesn't mean making a similar offer. Make the best offer by a decent margin, especially when prices are so reasonable.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#46 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:35 PM

I don't give a crap if the O's are in on a player. What a line of garbage. You get a player for a good price or you don't. There isn't a participation trophy for being "in on it."

#47 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:42 PM

I don't give a crap if the O's are in on a player. What a line of garbage. You get a player for a good price or you don't. There isn't a participation trophy for being "in on it."

It doesn't make you feel warm and fuzzy?
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#48 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:43 PM

The Yankees were reportedly in as well, but their offer contained heavy deferrals due to their CBT obligations. That would have pushed the AAV of the deal to far less than what Arizona offered.

The Orioles missed on Montgomery, but so did 29 other teams. I don't know if that was due to budget restraints, Elias's risk aversion to investing $25 million per annum in a pitcher even for the short-term, or if it was simply a case of player choice. I do hope that with new ownership, Elias will now have all of the tools at his disposal to assemble a championship team, and that would mean not largely punting on free agency and at the trade deadline.

#49 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:45 PM

Without knowing ties to teams etc, why would Montgomery choose Arizona over Baltimore for equal $$? if a guys wants a ring surely in 2024 the O's are a better path than Arizona.

#50 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:54 PM

This is exactly what I was talking about. We can only hope this changes with new ownership but up until now this gets extremely frustrating when you see deals like this and we're just kicking the tires. We got Burnes now let's go all in. Next year is not guaranteed.

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 04:57 PM

The good thing about making trades, at least for guys without NTC, is they cant tell you no. Why they got Burnes. Why they still should have made a push for Luzardo or Cease. I guess we will see what the trade deadline brings

#52 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:05 PM

Did the Orioles actually make him an offer? I haven't seen anything to confirm they did.

There isn't a confirmed offer from the O's, but a few reliable outlets said the O's were talking to him. In the past, those stories were usually provided from Roch or any of the other O's P.R. guys. But these were national people, so it feels more legit to me. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#53 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:10 PM

At this point, I'd say its wishful thinking.

Perhaps, but, knock on wood, we've heard no bad news and heard of no signs of a setback. I don't think Elias would go on record as saying Bradish would be back early in the first half unless he really believed it.

#54 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 March 2024 - 05:15 PM

Not buying this. In on him doesn't mean making a similar offer. Make the best offer by a decent margin, especially when prices are so reasonable.

We were linked by national reporters as Weird-O mentioned above. At the point where he shifts goals from a long term contract to a short term deal he’s trying to hit FA again at the end of the season. So he basically gets to pick where he plays and he chose Arizona. I would’ve liked to get him too but I’m not sure it’s something to be upset about.

At least he went to the NL. All the Boras guys did.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 06:15 PM

There isn't a confirmed offer from the O's, but a few reliable outlets said the O's were talking to him. In the past, those stories were usually provided from Roch or any of the other O's P.R. guys. But these were national people, so it feels more legit to me.

All I saw was Bowden conjecturing that they should talk to him. Do you have an actual report that they offered him a contract equal or bigger than what Arizona did?

Offering a lesser or even equal deal wouldn't earn any credit, but a noticeably bigger offer and he takes less you'd at least begrudgingly say they tried. But I do not believe that happened and nothing I've see suggests it did.

#56 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:12 AM

All I saw was Bowden conjecturing that they should talk to him. Do you have an actual report that they offered him a contract equal or bigger than what Arizona did?

Offering a lesser or even equal deal wouldn't earn any credit, but a noticeably bigger offer and he takes less you'd at least begrudgingly say they tried. But I do not believe that happened and nothing I've see suggests it did.

I don't. And I don't blame you for being skeptical. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#57 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 11 April 2024 - 03:37 PM

https://www.espn.com...ops-scott-boras

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#58 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 05:29 AM

Uh oh, time for a Boras op-ed about how baseball is being ruined by teams not giving his clients whatever they want.

• Mashed Potatoes, BaltBird 24 and mdrunning like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=