• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:13 AM

Don't sleep on the #Diamondbacks on Jordan Montgomery, and remember that the #Orioles ownership change is official this week...

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:23 AM

Cmon O's lets do this!

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:40 AM

I find it interesting that everyone else has signed. I believe thats true now. Still dont expect it to happen but it at least makes me raise an eyebrow

#4 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:42 AM

So you're saying you think Montgomery could be hanging on until ownership officially changes hands? I still think he's a long-shot.

Surprised the NYY haven't already scooped him up with their uncertainty.

#5 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:59 AM

Wherever Montgomery goes, he's going to need 4-6 weeks to get ready, unless he has been pitching off to the side.  

#6 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:59 AM

It’s really wild that the season is about to start and he’s sitting at home
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#7 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:06 PM

Wherever Montgomery goes, he's going to need 4-6 weeks to get ready, unless he has been pitching off to the side.

He’s obviously been throwing on the side but I’m sure whoever signs him will want their own eyes on him first so maybe a 1-2 week delay.

#8 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:15 PM

He’s obviously been throwing on the side but I’m sure whoever signs him will want their own eyes on him first so maybe a 1-2 week delay.

1-2 weeks would be surprising.  

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:19 PM

This doesn't feel like a report from Bowden, just musing. I'd love it though, even assuming that Bradish and Means eventually come back. Wells moving to the pen would be a big boost and Kremer could be a valuable trade chip once the injured guys return.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:22 PM

MLBTR had a good point earlier this week surmising that Montgomery will wait until the season starts to sign unless he gets his big long-term deal. If he isn't on a team all year, i.e. he signs on Day 2, then that team cannot offer him a Qualifying Offer after the season.

He hasn't been anchored with that tis year and still hasn't found the contract he wants. But he's this close so makes sense to wait one more week and ensure it is the case again if he opts out after 2024.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and makoman like this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:23 PM

The thing is if there were to be anything to it it would mean Montgomery/Boras is getting closer the longer/bigger contract they desired from the jump. Crazy if they are still waiting around and end up signing a Snell type deal.

#12 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:25 PM

MLBTR had a good point earlier this week surmising that Montgomery will wait until the season starts to sign unless he gets his big long-term deal. If he isn't on a team all year, i.e. he signs on Day 2, then that team cannot offer him a Qualifying Offer after the season.

He hasn't been anchored with that tis year and still hasn't found the contract he wants. But he's this close so makes sense to wait one more week and ensure it is the case again if he opts out after 2024.

This also makes some sense. But cant a team just assure him they wont offer the QO. I swear I heard that was part of a deal for a recently signed player.

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:29 PM

This also makes some sense. But cant a team just assure him they wont offer the QO. I swear I heard that was part of a deal for a recently signed player.

They could do that, yes.

#14 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:31 PM

When does the sale and transfer become "official"? Will the passing of Peter speed it up?

#15 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:40 PM

When does the sale and transfer become "official"? Will the passing of Peter speed it up?

From what I understand, the last hoop is the general vote of all the owners. I'm not sure if Peter's passing will influence that.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#16 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 12:43 PM

Close. Prob in the next month.

#17 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 01:57 PM

That makes sense since Montgomery currently isn't a qualified free agent, yet he still remains unsigned at this point.

#18 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 March 2024 - 02:07 PM

Early April at the latest from what I understand.

#19 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 24 March 2024 - 02:54 PM

I wouldn't offer Montgomery anything close to what he wanted, but if the teams in consideration are the RedSox and Yankees, then having the Orioles as the pressure option to get what you want more could certainly be a thing.

....but he has to be willing to sign a contract with the Orioles.  my offer is a 1/25 with a 5M buyout on a multi-year option say the 6/150) and he can reject the 5M and become a FA. No issues with avoiding the QO.

None of this 3 year guarantee with opt out every year.  So dumb and no idea why so many FOs fall into this stupidity.

That's the deal.  Write the contract and let the world know (whatever) that you are about to sign with the Orioles if you don't get your 6/150 or whatever.  Always thought Boston was his most likely destination, I don't really care if they have him.

He can come pitch in a great (now) ballpark for LHers with a good defense and a competitive roster.  Go do something in the playoffs for the second year in a row and prove out the value of your next deal.

Orioles are positioned to do something like that.  If you leverage the position for 1/25, cool.

#20 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:03 PM

If the new O's management wants to make a financial splash, extend Rutschman. Don't bog down their finances w/a guy who'se won 38 games in a 7-year career just because he got hot one autumn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=