• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#21 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:38 PM

If the new O's management wants to make a financial splash, extend Rutschman. Don't bog down their finances w/a guy who'se won 38 games in a 7-year career just because he got hot one autumn.

I'm pretty sure that's why no one is willing to give him his requested 7-8 year deal. He seems like a worthy investment on a short term deal. The new owners won't have the opportunity to make any significant additions until next winter. Assuming that's their intentions. So Montgomery seems like a good place to start. He gets a year or two where he's making free agent money, then he can go back on the market and test the waters again. 

I personally prefer taking a chance on Montgomery, as opposed to sitting tight and hoping everything works out With Bradish and Means.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:41 PM

If the new O's management wants to make a financial splash, extend Rutschman. Don't bog down their finances w/a guy who'se won 38 games in a 7-year career just because he got hot one autumn.

Come on, Mike, you can do better than citing wins.

Montgomery had the same amount of wins last season as Mike Baumann.  But he was 8th in MLB in ERA and 17th in innings pitched.  See how wins are pretty useless at demonstrating a pitcher's effectiveness?  

#23 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

Rick Helling won 20 games in 98 and 16 games in 2000. I wish we'd signed him to long-term deal in 2003.

#24 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 05:53 PM

Given, the current situation, I'd go a year or two w/him. Grant that. He might settle for a short-termer at this point.

#25 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:02 AM

Given, the current situation, I'd go a year or two w/him. Grant that. He might settle for a short-termer at this point.

The 7-8 year demand is just more Boras ridiculousness. There are only a few teams that can give a player like that, that many years. Because they know they can eat the contract when he's a shell of himself. And obviously not even those teams are interested at that price point.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#26 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:49 AM

He's getting precariously close to missing most of April and part of May. Boras isn't doing him any favors at this point.

#27 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:24 PM

Montgomery has reportedly agreed to a one-year $25 million deal with the Diamondbacks. There is also a vesting option for a second year, also worth $25 million.

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:40 PM

John's final FU to the fanbase on his way out the warehouse door.

Either that, or they got the OK to offer him $26M but then saw Tony Kemp was available and....well, who could say no to that?

• weird-O and SonicAttack like this

#29 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Wonder why he chose Ari. Cant tell me other teams werent willing to offer the same. 

#30 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 March 2024 - 08:57 PM

Guess he was impressed with their 1 win in the World Series, which just so happened to come against him.

• 1970 likes this

#31 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:28 PM

That’s a good deal for Arizona.

#32 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:45 PM

John's final FU to the fanbase on his way out the warehouse door.

Either that, or they got the OK to offer him $26M but then saw Tony Kemp was available and....well, who could say no to that?

I really don't think John had anything to do with this. I mean, the rest of MLB balked at giving him several years, and I would like to think Boras was smart enough to do a final pass through given the O's rotation issues about matching or topping the AZ offer. 

I'm scratching my head at this one. Montgomery for $25m and a vesting option if he actually is healthy enough to pitch for 2025? 

Is there a massive FA SP class coming up I'm missing out on? 

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 09:53 PM

Maybe they really and truly expect Bradish and Means back soon.

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:08 PM

I really don't think John had anything to do with this. I mean, the rest of MLB balked at giving him several years, and I would like to think Boras was smart enough to do a final pass through given the O's rotation issues about matching or topping the AZ offer. 

I'm scratching my head at this one. Montgomery for $25m and a vesting option if he actually is healthy enough to pitch for 2025? 

Is there a massive FA SP class coming up I'm missing out on? 

May be some concerning medicals or something

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 March 2024 - 10:26 PM

Maybe they really and truly expect Bradish and Means back soon.

They do.

#36 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 March 2024 - 11:21 PM

Guess he was impressed with their 1 win in the World Series, which just so happened to come against him.

ERod will also start the season the IL (strained lat), so that could have pivoted Arizona toward Montgomery.

Regardless of the reason, Tyler Glasnow, who wasn't a free agent, received more years and more total dollars than Blake Snell and Jordan Montgomery combined.

• russsnyder likes this

#37 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:15 AM

I would have loved to have the Orioles sign him.

The guy is solid.

I just can't see a 30 year old pitcher is getting a seven or eight year deal.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:10 AM

Pretty ridiculous for the O's to not be in on Montgomery at that price, IMO.  I'm optimistic about Bradish, but that's bargain basement pricing on a solid SP with no long-term risk and no lost pick.  Disappointed.

Only explanation I'll hear is that they're worried about him bouncing back after the heavy 220 IP workload in 2023.  But that's an ok reason to not spend $150M.  It's not a good reason to avoid a 1-year deal when your payroll is bottom of the league.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#39 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 27 March 2024 - 07:30 AM

The Orioles and other teams may have made a similar offer but he just decided to play for Arizona.  Who knows what his reasons were. Would have loved to see him in a Baltimore uniform but it just wasn't meant to be.  2024's mantra should be- "score a lot of runs and do it often." 

• BobPhelan likes this

#40 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 March 2024 - 03:29 PM

Pretty ridiculous for the O's to not be in on Montgomery at that price, IMO.  I'm optimistic about Bradish, but that's bargain basement pricing on a solid SP with no long-term risk and no lost pick.  Disappointed.

Only explanation I'll hear is that they're worried about him bouncing back after the heavy 220 IP workload in 2023.  But that's an ok reason to not spend $150M.  It's not a good reason to avoid a 1-year deal when your payroll is bottom of the league.

The Orioles were "in" on him. He chose to play for Arizona. It happens.

• mdrunning and makoman like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=