• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 08:15 PM

I can't speak to the current situation, but at the time when the person I mentioned worked for the Orioles, not all employees had it. This would have been mid 2010's. That and lower pay was the reason she left and went to work for a financial institution. She really liked her job with the organization and the people she worked with, but she cited the pay and benefits as the reason she needed to look for something else.

I do believe she was hourly, but I can't swear to that. I also know she got lots of perks such as discounts and "freebies" on a lot of things from promotional items to tickets.

I worked there 2001-2003.
The salaried people definitely had healthcare.
  • cprenegade likes this

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:23 PM

Not sure if it was known but Rick Dempsey tweeted that it was dementia.

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2024 - 09:36 PM

Not sure if it was known but Rick Dempsey tweeted that it was dementia.

It was mentioned in one of the court filings during the lawsuits.

• BobPhelan likes this

#24 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 01:26 AM

Angelos was the people's owner when he told MLB to F-off when he refused to field a scab team during the strike, but yeah, he wound up being a meddlesome owner. And no, there's never a good meddlesome owner. 

#25 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 24 March 2024 - 11:12 AM

Thom Loverro / Washington Times on LinkedIn: 

A lot of pathetic BS out there about Peter Angelos. I knew him well in his early days of ownership, sometimes talking three times a week. First, he didn’t “keep” the #Orioles in Baltimore. They had just signed a 30-year lease at Camden Yards the year before he bought the team. They were filling the ballpark up every night.

A lot of pathetic BS out there about Peter Angelos. I knew him well in his early days of ownership, sometimes talking three times a week. First, he didn’t “keep” the #Orioles in Baltimore. They had just signed a 30-year lease at Camden Yards the year before he bought the team. They were filling the ballpark up every night.
The Orioles weren’t going anywhere. There was a deal in place with Eli Jacobs in bankruptcy to sell the team to Bill DeWitt and Larry Lucchino, who was team president. Angelos came in at the last minute with a higher bid, forcing it into bankruptcy court. Lucchino was the one with the vision behind Camden Yards. The idea they were going to leave town is absurd.
Please note how bitter and petty Angelos was — Lucchino was the driving force behind Camden Yards. Yet he is not in the Orioles Hall of Fame — purposely kept out.

• SonicAttack likes this

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 10:15 AM

As someone who went to UB I can appreciate his role in getting that school off the ground and revitalizing that campus and neighborhood. He was a pretty awful baseball owner. 

RIP to him and I wish the Angelos family well. I am glad they are no longer involved in running the Orioles.

• weird-O likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 02:49 PM

Britt Ghiroli tweeted that once MLB approves the sale, the Rubenstein group will make the entire purchase at once.

Somewhat conflicting stories. MLBTR indicates Rubenstein will still only acquire the 40% Angelos share this Wednesday as originally planned, with the remainder to be purchased sometime in the future.

https://www.mlbtrade...-wednesday.html

But with Rubenstein becoming the "control person" either way, the rest is just semantics as far as most of us are concerned.

#28 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 25 March 2024 - 03:25 PM

Somewhat conflicting stories. MLBTR indicates Rubenstein will still only acquire the 40% Angelos share this Wednesday as originally planned, with the remainder to be purchased sometime in the future.

https://www.mlbtrade...-wednesday.html

But with Rubenstein becoming the "control person" either way, the rest is just semantics as far as most of us are concerned.

Still, it's a little disappointing that the total sale won't be completed this week, and we can definitively say, we're done with that terrible ownership group.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#29 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 03:55 PM

They planned to buy 40% now, so they surely had ~$700M pretty freely available once the offer was accepted. Probably didn't expect to need the other $1B yet and it simply takes some time to get it ready. Probably won't be that long.

#30 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 04:02 PM

They planned to buy 40% now, so they surely had ~$700M pretty freely available once the offer was accepted. Probably didn't expect to need the other $1B yet and it simply takes some time to get it ready. Probably won't be that long.

Good point

#31 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 04:08 PM

Still, it's a little disappointing that the total sale won't be completed this week, and we can definitively say, we're done with that terrible ownership group.

Its irrelevant once MLB approves the control person transfer. Actual ownership percentage doesn't matter, all about who is in control. Rubenstein at 40% can do everything Rubenstein at 70% or whatever the final number will be can do.

I suppose MASN is a wrinkle in that thinking though. Probably not as definitively structured as team management is.

#32 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 04:12 PM

Its irrelevant once MLB approves the control person transfer. Actual ownership percentage doesn't matter, all about who is in control. Rubenstein at 40% can do everything Rubenstein at 70% or whatever the final number will be can do.

I suppose MASN is a wrinkle in that thinking though. Probably not as definitively structured as team management is.

I know. But in a strange way, this is like breaking up with someone, or a roommate moves out and they leave a few boxes of stuff behind. You know they're going to come back and pick it up, but you just want to be done with it all. 

#33 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts

Posted 25 March 2024 - 04:30 PM

I know. But in a strange way, this is like breaking up with someone, or a roommate moves out and they leave a few boxes of stuff behind. You know they're going to come back and pick it up, but you just want to be done with it all. 

John and Lou will still retain their minority shares, so we'll just have to get used to those boxes in the attic....but they'll be hidden enough we can still enjoy the parts of the house that matter.

• weird-O likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=