• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:24 PM

I disliked most of his tenure as Orioles Owner, but I respected his philanthropic endeavors. 

• NewMarketSean likes this

#2 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:42 PM

Later.

Flame me if you want. Guy killed baseball in Baltimore.
  • McNulty and weird-O like this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#3 Dutch

Dutch
  • Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:43 PM

So the rest of the Orioles change hands, good.

• weird-O likes this

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:45 PM

RIP. He did some good before he turned heel.

Hope the timing doesn't throw any wrinkles in the sale.

#5 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:49 PM

RIP

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:51 PM

I'd like to hear what Palmer has to say about him. He's generally eloquent at times like this and has always had very nice things to say about the Angelos family.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

I'm sure there are nice things to say about Peter Angelos. I only know him as the baseball owner.

And that's all I have to say about that.
  • weird-O likes this

#8 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 02:21 PM

Right before the O's sale is finalized, PA always looking out for his family.  RIP. 

#9 1970

All-Star

• Members
  • Pip
  • 740 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 02:50 PM

I once told this story at OH…Some of you may know that Ray Miller has family that lives in Southern MD (his sister, who has since passed, and her family).  Miller’s niece was once married to my wife’s uncle.  The story I’m about to tell happened a couple of years after Miller was replaced as manager.  His niece came down with some type of rare illness and was admitted to the local hospital.  The doctors told her husband that she needed to be someplace better able to treat her, or she may die.  Miller’s sister called him and asked for advice.  He call Peter Angelos and told him what was happening.  A short time later, Miller called his sister and told her that her daughter was being transferred to one of the DC hospitals by helicopter.  That hospital cured her and she’s still alive today (although she is no longer married).  Once Ray Miller called him, Peter Angelos contacted a doctor friend and that doctor made the arrangements.  It is my understanding that Angelos foot the bill for the helicopter.   I am certainly not a fan of Peter Angelos the owner, but the man did do some good things.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, B00E00N00 and 3 others like this

#10 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,652 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 03:28 PM

As others have stated - - just hope this doesn't have any impact on the sale.

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 03:30 PM

I'm sure Peter Angelos did some good for some people, but he didn't treat his employees very well.  I knew a person who worked in the communications office for the Orioles.  She was responsible for coordinating a lot of media things such as the singer of the national anthem.  She was responsible for setting all of that up on game day.   She was good at her job and they were sorry to see her go.  But that's really not the point.   She left and went to another company because her salary was very low, and the Orioles did not offer her health benefits.  

I find it hard to believe that an employer of the status of the Baltimore Orioles would not offer a basic benefit such as some form of health care to all of it's employees.  Even if it was only partially paid for by the organization  Peter Angelos was a democrat.  Wasn't health care for everyone one of their basic platforms?  

I did not wish him any suffering and I do hope his passing was peaceful.  I just never had a very high opinion of him.  RIP.  

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 03:34 PM

I'm sure Peter Angelos did some good for some people, but he didn't treat his employees very well.  I knew a person who worked in the communications office for the Orioles.  She was responsible for coordinating a lot of media things such as the singer of the national anthem.  She was responsible for setting all of that up on game day.   She was good at her job and they were sorry to see her go.  But that's really not the point.   She left and went to another company because her salary was very low, and the Orioles did not offer her health benefits.  

I find it hard to believe that an employer of the status of the Baltimore Orioles would not offer a basic benefit such as some form of health care to all of it's employees.  Even if it was only partially paid for by the organization  Peter Angelos was a democrat.  Wasn't health care for everyone one of their basic platforms?  

I did not wish him any suffering and I do hope his passing was peaceful.  I just never had a very high opinion of him.  RIP.  

They had / have health care.

• cprenegade likes this

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 04:33 PM

I'd like to hear what Palmer has to say about him. He's generally eloquent at times like this and has always had very nice things to say about the Angelos family.

Jim Palmer on O's owner Peter Angelos: “I always considered Peter a friend. ... He was the type of guy who would do things for people but didn’t want anyone else to know that he did them. He didn’t want that attention. That’s who he was.”

https://www.baltimor...W9ZZYiC8Kqoxdi0

• Mackus and DuffMan like this

#14 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 March 2024 - 04:44 PM

I'm sure there are nice things to say about Peter Angelos. I only know him as the baseball owner.

And that's all I have to say about that.

This sums it up for me. 

• Slidemaster likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#15 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:05 PM

Britt Ghiroli tweeted that once MLB approves the sale, the Rubenstein group will make the entire purchase at once.

• BobPhelan, BaltBird 24, weird-O and 1 other like this

#16 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:11 PM

RIP
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 23 March 2024 - 05:49 PM

About two years ago Dan Connolly pre-authored Pete’s obituary while with The Athletic. As he’s no longer employed there, Britt Ghiroli updated it before it was published today.

https://theathletic....death-obituary/

Connolly interviewed former GM Jim Duquette, and in two separate passages Duquette gave about as good an example of the dichotomy that was Peter G Angelos as you’ll probably ever read. For those without a sub….

Angelos nixed several trades over the years because, for one reason or another, his research showed they were too risky. Duquette remembers a 2006 deal that he and club executive vice president Mike Flanagan had in place with the Philadelphia Phillies for outfielder Bobby Abreu, who was having a sub-par year by his standards but was still a productive player. The Orioles would have dealt away declining right-hander Rodrigo Lopez, who was an 18-game loser that season, and absorb the two-plus years left on Abreu’s contract. It was basically a salary dump and Angelos was initially on board to spend some money to get Abreu.

But Angelos came back to Duquette and said he had decided against it. Angelos had a lawyer friend in Philadelphia, Duquette recalled, who said Abreu played tentatively in the outfield and wouldn’t be a good fit in Baltimore. The deal was scrapped, and Abreu was traded to the rival New York Yankees.

“It was like, ‘You gotta be kidding me.’ That was the level of frustration. Like I can’t even believe I’m having this conversation,” Duquette said. “On a day-to-day basis, he was not meddling at all. And I would say through 90 percent of it, I don’t think he meddled. But when the most important decisions needed to be made, even if you kept him in the loop on how things were going, (there was a) willingness to consider everyone else’s opinions equally. That’s how it was meddling. It was meddlesome, but it was in a different way.

—————————————————-

Five years after he left the Orioles, Jim Duquette was grappling with the most personal of all issues. His then 10-year-old daughter, Lindsay, suffered from a rare and complicated kidney disease and had been treated for years at the Johns Hopkins Children’s Center.

In 2012, Duquette had decided to donate his kidney to his sick daughter, but his insurance company ruled the operation would be considered out-of-market, meaning it would have to occur in Virginia or Pennsylvania, and, therefore, away from the doctors who had been by her side throughout the process. Or the Duquette family would have to pay the out-of-market expenses, which would have been around $350,000.

Frustrated, Duquette called his former boss, who listened to the story, and then hung up to make a phone call to a local prominent surgeon. Within a day, after some more discussion with the hospital and the insurance company, the red tape was snapped, and the transplant occurred at Johns Hopkins. Duquette’s daughter has led a normal life since.

“He was a tough SOB. One of the toughest lawyers and negotiators you would ever come across, but he had this soft human side that I really don’t know that he wanted people to know about,” Duquette said. “But I got to witness it.”

• DuffMan, jamesdean and CantonJester like this

#18 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 06:49 PM

Sounds like Angelos the man was a lot better than Angelos the baseball owner.

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 06:56 PM

Sounds like Angelos the man was a lot better than Angelos the baseball owner.

Unfortunately, he was a lot like a lot of owners, particularly in the NFL, who think they're experts on things they know very little about. When he was still active, I wouldn't have wanted to be the GM of the Orioles.  It had to be infuriating at times.  And he could be vindictive towards anyone that he felt wasn't a part of the Good Ship Lollypop that he had created and it encompassed multi-layers of the organization, probably right down to the hot dog vendors.  

#20 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 23 March 2024 - 07:51 PM

They had / have health care.

I can't speak to the current situation, but at the time when the person I mentioned worked for the Orioles, not all employees had it.  This would have been mid 2010's.   That and lower pay was the reason she left and went to work for a financial institution.  She really liked her job with the organization and the people she worked with, but she cited the pay and benefits as the reason she needed to look for something else. 

I do believe she was hourly, but I can't swear to that.  I also know she got lots of perks such as discounts and "freebies" on a lot of things from promotional items to tickets.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=