• 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:14 AM

Batchelor will do well at Towson.  

#4 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 06:22 AM

If Willard's 24-25 season is a bad as this one, he will have to be let go.  

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:04 AM

If Wilard's 24-25 season is a bad this one, he will have to be let go.

Willard's buyout is 90% of his remaining contract. He makes about $4M a year and has 5 years left on his deal.

Good luck on getting this cheap ass department and incapable fundraisers to pay out $13M+ to fire Willard after next season. Hopefully he and the team have a nice bounce back year and firing isn't necessary, because it's definitely not going to happen if it is.

#6 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 07:42 AM

Willard's buyout is 90% of his remaining contract. He makes about $4M a year and has 5 years left on his deal.

Good luck on getting this cheap ass department and incapable fundraisers to pay out $13M+ to fire Willard after next season. Hopefully he and the team have a nice bounce back year and firing isn't necessary, because it's definitely not going to happen if it is.

Yeah, he will prob get 4 seasons in, and I hope the Terps make the NCAA tourney next season, but right now my confidence level in KW is next to zero. 

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:42 AM

Yeah, he will prob get 4 seasons in, and I hope the Terps make the NCAA tourney next season, but right now my confidence level in KW is next to zero.

I think the criticism is fair but that the root of the problems are above his level.

#8 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 08:52 AM

I think the criticism is fair but that the root of the problems are above his level.

Yeah, the AD, Pres and BOD are responsible.  They need to take football very seriously and bball #2.   The college landscape will dramatically change in a few years, and if they don't prioritize NIL, football and then bball (1,2,3), UMD could be looking from the outside-in. 

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:00 AM

They need to take the football very seriously and bball #2.

Disagree here.  Basketball would be my top priority, though I realize football drives revenue more.  I care deeply about the basketball team.  Football I enjoy watching but don't have the same passion.

#10 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 09:27 AM

Disagree here.  Basketball would be my top priority, though I realize football drives revenue more.  I care deeply about the basketball team.  Football I enjoy watching but don't have the same passion.

Yeah, I love bball, but football is the driver for college sports and needs to be priority 1 (w/ NIL); its all about football and NIL unfortunately. 

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 March 2024 - 10:55 AM

Football will drive revenue regardless of if we continue to pour money into it. This basketball program needs serious reviving, and actually can win a Championship. That will NEVER happen in football.

Go be fodder for the Big Ten blue bloods and take your L’s against PSU, Michigan and OSU every year (like they already do), take your paycheck, and try and win some damn basketball games.
  • BaltBird 24 and makoman like this

#12 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 16 March 2024 - 12:03 PM

Football will drive revenue regardless of if we continue to pour money into it. This basketball program needs serious reviving, and actually can win a Championship. That will NEVER happen in football.

Go be fodder for the Big Ten blue bloods and take your L’s against PSU, Michigan and OSU every year (like they already do), take your paycheck, and try and win some damn basketball games.

I would never say never, but UMD can compete if the BOD allows it.

#13 BoomerFT

BoomerFT
  • Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:12 PM

Bachelor may become a good mid-major player. He had opportunities here, just couldn't capitalize.
DHS seems to be improving in this last 3rd of the season. Still not sold on Kaiser, he really needs to step up.

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,344 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:01 AM

IMS: Maryland Basketball Transfer Portal Primer: All eyes on Julian Reese, long shopping list for Terps

A few major takeaways from Jeff here:
  • Julian Reese is now expected to enter the transfer portal, which is a major shift from a few weeks ago.
  • Expect a total of 4-5 players to leave the program (including Noah Batchelor, who is already in the portal).
  • Caelum Swanton-Rodger, Jordan Geronimo, and Jahari Long are all good bets to enter the portal (though Long's knee injury could change those plans).
  • Rodney Rice (Virginia Tech) and Dug McDaniel (Michigan) are two of the top names to watch as additions through the portal.

@BSLZackKiesel

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 09:12 AM

Hopefully all the would be departures are immediate and you can operate accordingly.

#16 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,458 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:03 PM

I really go back and forth on Reese.  You see the flashes of what he can do and I really appreciate that he's stayed here 3 years which is pretty rare these days.  But then there are so many times where it just seems like the mental side of the game isn't there, especially with the silly fouls.

End of the day I'd prefer him to stay, but at the same time won't be too heartbroken with a clean flush of this season.

#17 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,652 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:21 PM

Reese is the only player who could leave of any value. I'm indifferent on him.

Wouldn't lose sleep if all of them leave, but next year will probably be even worse than this season was.

Maryland basketball is in a dark place.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:27 PM

I hope Reese returns but it's real hard to envision a tournament team next year even if he does. Too few players and not enough money to bring in the 5 guys we'd need, then have to integrate all those new guys even if you can find them. Huge ask. Doesn't feel possible. I'd say no better than 1-in-5 chance they dance next season.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:31 PM

Reese will prob be one of the top transfers on the market. Too much talent. And yeah, MD is in a bad place. Have said that for months now. Surely part of it is the AD and lack of fundraising or committment to financial support. I also think Willard is at minimum a subpar coach. He might be a bad coach.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 18 March 2024 - 12:36 PM

Btw I dont know exactly how all of the NIL stuff works. Like how much it takes. How realistic it is to compete. Part of me doesnt mind that they arent out here going balls deep into it all. Its gone way too far. Its not fun at all to see so few guys stick around for 2 or 3 years. Marylands product on the court has contributed to my apathy but so has the landscape of college athletics in general. The NCAA tourny is by far the most interest I have in any college event and that has now become mostly because of betting

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=