BSL: Examining Anthony Santander’s Future In Baltimore

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 14 March 2024 - 03:58 AM

Nobody knows what the kids w/do. We all know what Santander w/do. What's more, we're getting him in his prime years. He's 29. A 3-year deal gets his 29-32 years, not his 34-37 or whatever.

Unless his contract definitely keeps them from a major move like extension, I'd sign him if his price is reasonable.

I'd let Mountcastle, Hays or Mullins go before Santander.

• fishteacher and SonicAttack like this

#22 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 03:47 AM

A steady run producer like him signing for 3/45? I don't think so. Certainly I'd sign him for that or anything near that. A steady middle-order hitter or pretty tradable asset if the kids him push him out. Either way, O's win.

I'm very disinclined to trade Santander or let him walk as productive as he is. Unless extending him hurts chances of extending core guys, I'd extend him if demands are reasonable.

• russsnyder likes this

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,223 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 07:59 AM

I don't think losing Santander will alter the team's success going forward.  I look at it from a positive perspective that it will open the door for one of the outfield prospects.  Yes, there will more than likely be a drop off in power but quite possibly a better hitter will surface. 

#24 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 08:29 AM

Just to get some other opinions, let's say the Orioles let Santander play this year out, his production is pretty similar to 2023 and then he wants 3/45 to stay in Baltimore...yay or nay?

A resounding yay.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#25 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 09:28 AM

I love Anthony, I would def give him 3-4 yr extension if priced accordingly. 

#26 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 31 March 2024 - 12:43 PM

I'd be happy to have him here for the foreseeable future. Super likable guy as well as a very underrated player. Some of those breaking pitches he has hit in this series have been good pitches that he just stayed with. That's tough to do.

#27 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 March 2024 - 02:32 PM

As I said earlier in the thread, no problem extending Tony but then you better have a plan for:

Cowser - assume he takes over for Hays

Kjerstad

Stowers

Beavers

If you can't trade them for what you think is a solid return then the bottom line question is this:

Is Santader better than Kjerstad plus $15M/yr (or whatever the figure would be).

Now sure you can say well Santander can just DH most of the time. Fine, but then you have to add Mayo and Norby into the equation too. 

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 March 2024 - 03:37 PM

Is Santader better than Kjerstad plus $15M/yr (or whatever the figure would be).

There isn't a season over the duration of what Santander would require where the money makes any difference.  

Angelos clan was always willing to spend money if it met their internal assessment of value (loyalty was part of that assessment).

Recent spending challenges served several purposes....they needed to preserve cash (doesn't matter now) but I happen to believe that if John had somehow achieved transition, that the spend would go up...but more the previous perspective of value (what he thought was right/good).

New group, we'll see.  I'm comfortable assuming (until there's other information) they'll take it up to 150+M without much consideration.

....so this isn't going to be about total salary over the next 6-ish years

#29 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 March 2024 - 03:44 PM

Now sure you can say well Santander can just DH most of the time. Fine, but then you have to add Mayo and Norby into the equation too. 

I don't think DH is a thing.  Adley should be DHing a fair amount and Basallo will be here by the end of 2025.

Mountcastle is under club control for the next 3 years and it appears they're comfortable with him there (appears they're positioning Mayo to play 3B in Baltimore).

....beyond that, if Santander agrees to extend here, it's likely you're going to agree that he's playing RF.  He's going to want to know how he'll be used.  If he wants the OF, then you have to consider that.

#30 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

As I said earlier in the thread, no problem extending Tony but then you better have a plan for:

Cowser - assume he takes over for Hays

Kjerstad

Stowers

Beavers

If you can't trade them for what you think is a solid return then t....

Wile E wants to act like he's the culture guy now, but the reality is that the current OF is probably a significant part of the culture.

Orioles could likely extend all 3 (Hays, Mullins, Santander) if they wanted to. 

They could move on from all 3 and move to the next wave. 

Changing things or not changing things is going to have some impact.

You can do whatever in between.

Make choices.

We haven't really traded the upper prospect inventory yet. 

They have to make some choices, everyone doesn't fit, but they've been comfortable waiting (for whatever reasons) so far.

Stowers is now out of options.  If he doesn't make the 26-roster next year, you waive him.  Every team in MLB knows this so you need relationships that allow you to operate at the disadvantage or you sell at something less than value or get zero value.

#31 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 March 2024 - 04:46 PM

Great Dude. You wrote three posts to say the same thing I did. They have some decisions to make.

• BobPhelan likes this

#32 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,551 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 March 2024 - 05:25 PM

Great Dude. You wrote three posts to say the same thing I did. They have some decisions to make.

lol

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#33 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 01 April 2024 - 07:08 PM

Honestly, I'm not sure the offense can afford to lose him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=