BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 11 March 2024 - 03:53 PM

https://baltimorespo...e-in-baltimore/

A look at Tony's production relative to other RFs, what his contract could look like and other factors that could impact the decision

• BSLChrisStoner, BSLSteveBirrer and russsnyder like this

she/her

#2 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 11 March 2024 - 05:04 PM

The only way I consider extending Santander now is one of two scenarios.

1. Injuries or total season busts by Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers. If one or even better two of them produce then they need to be in the lineup.

2. They trade one or two of those young guys.

Sure we could have an OF in 2025 of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, and Kjerstad/Stowers but it doesn't seem like good use of $15M/year for Santander moving forward. Not that he isn't worth that but I think its money better spent elsewhere (closer?).

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 06:28 PM

Sure we could have an OF in 2025 of Hays, Mullins, Santander, Cowser, and Kjerstad/Stowers but it doesn't seem like good use of $15M/year for Santander moving forward. Not that he isn't worth that but I think its money better spent elsewhere (closer?).

Completely agree there are more efficient uses of money than Santander...but I'm wondering and cautiously optimistic that maybe with new ownership we don't have to play that shell game to the extreme degree we've needed to in the past. Even with that said, I'm not sure I'd extend Tony for the 4/$70M or so I'd guess it'll take. Wouldn't hate it, but probably would do other things. But like you said, we at least know what Santander will do, so that's useful. There is more volatility with all of the other OF and 1B types.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#4 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:49 AM

Just to get some other opinions, let's say the Orioles let Santander play this year out, his production is pretty similar to 2023 and then he wants 3/45 to stay in Baltimore...yay or nay? 

she/her

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:45 AM

Yay at that cost

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#6 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:09 AM

Just to get some other opinions, let's say the Orioles let Santander play this year out, his production is pretty similar to 2023 and then he wants 3/45 to stay in Baltimore...yay or nay? 

To your point in your article, the factors are probably more about the availability of graduating prospects, than it is about cost. $15/yr is affordable. But if the O's have recent grads and prospects that the FO believes can replace his production, then it's probably better to spend that $15M on areas of need, no matter how much payroll flexibility the new owners provide Elias. 

But that's the business side of my brain. As a fan, he's easy to root for. Great backstory, great team mate, good player.     

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 12:09 PM

I'd strongly consider the qualifying offer for Santander if he has a solid year and especially if it isn't looking like both corners, 1B and DH will be taken over by young guys.  It'll be a steep price, probably around $21M, but its just a one-year commitment if he accepts and you get a post-1st round draft pick if he declines.  I could live with either result.

• weird-O and BSLRoseKatz like this

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

I'd strongly consider the qualifying offer for Santander if he has a solid year and especially it isn't looking like both corners, 1B and DH will be taken over by young guys. It'll be a steep price, probably around $21M, but its just a one-year commitment if he accepts and you get a post-1st round draft pick if he declines. I could live with either result.

Def gets the QO if he has another 120 OPS+ year. Thats prob the best outcome to be honest. You either bring him back for a year or get the draft pick. Being a switchy that can hit well from both sides is pretty darn underrated. Not being exploitable by a favorable pitching matchup. Middle of the order. Kind of a unicorn.
  • BSLRoseKatz likes this

#9 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 01:26 PM

There's also Mayo, who could end up in RF if 3B doesn't work out.

#10 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 01:54 PM

If Santander can play 1B without having to worry about a platoon situation, then hell yes. 

When Santander faced left-handed pitching he provided a .790 OPS, while his OPS from the other side was a virtually identical .798. There were 16 switch-hitters with at least 500 total plate appearances and 100 PAs against lefties last year and Santander’s .790/.798 OPS splits were the most balanced among all the switch-hitters. 

#11 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:51 PM

I am going to say no. Sticking with my first post. That's money better spent elsewhere when we have so many ready MLB guys sitting in Norfolk and more on the very near horizon.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:25 PM

I am going to say no. Sticking with my first post. That's money better spent elsewhere when we have so many ready MLB guys sitting in Norfolk and more on the very near horizon.

I pretty much agree with you. But there are some nagging undertones for me. One is that AS is one of only 2 guys who are home run threats. With the offense being a no show in the playoffs, that takes on added importance.    

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#13 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:41 PM

Yay

#14 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:07 PM

3/45 would be tough to say no to. As long as it doesn't include a no trade clause after year one. I'd be looking to trade Hays and Mountcastle after this season if Santander is signed. I like the QA idea even better.

#15 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:42 PM

a 3/45 contract for a steady hitter like this w/also be fairly easy to move, I'd think. 

#16 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 March 2024 - 09:09 PM

It would depend on budget expectations under new ownership and on how certain players perform next year, most notably Cowser, Kjerstad, and Mountcastle. If at least one of those guys falters or is traded, then Santander fits into the roster much better. Mayo also a factor if he's not gonna play third.

#17 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:38 PM

Being a switchy that can hit well from both sides is pretty darn underrated. Not being exploitable by a favorable pitching matchup. Middle of the order. Kind of a unicorn.

Stand by everything. Hes just a guy. No potential for more than what he has been.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:49 PM

Stand by everything. Hes just a guy. No potential for more than what he has been.

He does have a limited upside. No one is saying differently. As I said, what makes him unique is that he is a power bat from both sides of the plate. He isnt exploitable hitting lefty or righty. There is some added value in being a 120 OPS+ switch hitter vs strictly a righty or lefty.
  • russsnyder likes this

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 13 March 2024 - 10:57 PM

Id be open to an extension for sure. We have some young guys we want to break in and I get that but there are regs/semi- regs who Id discard before Anthony. O'Hearn who is a FA after this year. Hays who is a FA after next year. Mountcastle as well. OHearn will walk and then you could trade 1 or both of Hays and Mounty and have the room for Santander, Cowser, Mayo, and Kjerstad.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,730 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 13 March 2024 - 11:01 PM

Fan of AS.  Lot of credit for him developing into the player he has.

It's just about choices.  You could extend all of the OFers nad not need an OFer in the system for 5 years.  If you want to use the younger guys you have, you have to make choices.

You have to figure out the leadership of the Team and what you want to do there.  It's just choices.

I'd have probably traded him this offseason and opened a spot for Kjerstad or Cowser.  If you wanted to use those guys for something else, extending Santander is certainly a thing.  Everyone can't play.

I'd guess Santander would sign for less in Baltimore.  He's going to get more than 3/45 as a FA.  Probably starts at 4/70.

I don't care about the money because (especially now) money shouldn't really drive the choices. There's lots of ways to keep a competitive team at reasonable costs.

Whether they trade him, use him in '24 and QO or extend him, everything can be good....just align it it with whatever else you are doing.   It's not an eaches mentality.  Build the Team you want to compete with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=