• Mackus likes this

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:12 AM

Really try not to get caught up in Spring Training puffery, but man it would really be something if Mayo can stick at 3B.

Hyde has referenced Mayo's improved defense multiple times this spring. He did it again last night.

"I know the bat's going to play and he's going to be a good hitter," Hyde said. "I'm more impressed by his defense. The strides he's made defensively at third base, massive strides since last year. That's exciting for me.

"We've got to be able to play good defense and he's really worked hard at it and made huge strides at it."

Said Mayo: "I think that's the biggest thing is trying to prove to them that I can play defense and that my glove can get to where my bat is. I've worked really hard over the past few years and especially offseason was a lot of hard work after the season ended, got right back on the field and just try to do what I can to get to where I am right now."

Mayo worked on being more of an athlete, moving better, being quicker. And he needed to find an arm slot that made his throws more accurate, which led to sessions with infield coordinator Tim DeJean.

"We made huge strides and I'm really happy where I'm at right now," Mayo said, "but there's obviously still a lot of work to do."

#3 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 10:32 AM

I don't think Westburg is an elite level guy like Gunnar, Jackson, Mayo, or Basallo, but Mayo being competent at 3B really pushes him out of a job unless you keep him for the super utility role.

Mayo was basically slated for 1B/corner OF if his defense didn't improve at 3B, leaving a spot open for Westburg.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:03 AM

I don't think Westburg is an elite level guy like Gunnar, Jackson, Mayo, or Basallo, but Mayo being competent at 3B really pushes him out of a job unless you keep him for the super utility role.

Mayo was basically slated for 1B/corner OF if his defense didn't improve at 3B, leaving a spot open for Westburg.

Are there enough roster spots to keep Mateo and Westburg in the super utility role? Mateo is here for 2 more seasons, unless they just jettison him somewhere. 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#5 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:14 AM

Westburg will be kept over Mateo. Only thing that could possibly save Mateo a job is if he's also a capable defensive CF.
  • weird-O likes this

#6 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:26 AM

Westburg will be kept over Mateo. Only thing that could possibly save Mateo a job is if he's also a capable defensive CF.

IMO Cowser will be the 4th OF who can play all three positions. Mateo makes the team if Mullins starts the season on the IL. Or, if they somehow free up a roster spot, but when you're carrying a platoon at 1B those spots are hard to come by. 

#7 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 11:33 AM

This year, definitely, though I'm assuming for now that Mateo gets the McKenna role. 

If you envision the 2025 IF as Mayo, Gunnar, Holliday then maybe you trade Westburg next offseason. You prefer all those guys playing almost every day. Starting caliber 2B/3B with 5 years control has to have trade value, better than playing him twice a week. Fill in utility role elsewhere. This assumes Mayo continues what he's been doing (Holliday too) and also shows he's a 3B.

• Mackus likes this

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 12:53 PM

If Mayo can handle 3B well, then you can trade Westburg as makoman suggested or I think you could also consider him for LF time depending on how things look with Cowser, Mullins, and Hays after this year.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 01:28 PM

I like Mountcastle. 
I'd be fine with moving him.

O'Hearn was huge for the O's last year...  we will see what this year looks like. 

By '25 you can have Mayo and Kjerstad holding down 1st and DH, and Westburg, Henderson, and Jackson 3rd, SS, and 2nd.

That seems like the best outcome to me, but yeah... great to hear Mayo looks improved at 3rd.

• SonicAttack likes this

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 02:29 PM

Mateo was really, really bad after his hot start last season.

#11 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:16 PM

They might want Mateo on the bench, since we've seen his speed change games in late innings.  It only works if he can play a credible CF, though.  Urias is the one I can't figure out - he might be the starting 3B, he might be a utility guy, or he might be traded.

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 March 2024 - 03:23 PM

Mateo was really, really bad after his hot start last season.

Yep.  Just to emphasize, he had a 472 OPS from May 1st on last season.  As bad or worse than Chris Davis at his worst.  Brutal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=