#21 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 03:46 PM

:-P Suarez is our #1 starter.

If nothing else, he looks like he could help in the pen. 95-97 with command of 3 pitches. Most impressive pitching performance of the spring.

#22 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:15 PM

Most impressive was the velocity maintained through 3 innings.

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:32 PM

Whos this Suarez guy. I heard of the other Suarez guy but not this Suarez guy

#24 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 06:49 PM

I'll be very surprised if he makes the roster.  He's 34.  This isn't even like Cano yet alone Bautista.  But hey, crazier stuff has happened.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 07:09 PM

He signed with the Os in Sept of last year. Makes more sense why I hadn't heard of him.

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:22 AM

Orioles.com: Projecting the Orioles' 2024 Opening Day roster

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:27 AM

MASN: More on Orioles resistance to opening with 14 position players

https://www.masnspor...osition-players

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:30 AM

Pretty much impossible to open with 14 postion players when starters arent even stretched out completely. Tough to do it regardless but especially at the start of the season. Wish theyd just move on from Webb. Also not sure why Akin is projected to open with Os. He has an option option him and go with Tehran.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:42 AM

5 straight games following the post-opener day off so you'd have to call up a 5th starter by game #6 (April 3rd) or go to a bullpen game.  Do have the 4th and 8th off, so if you make that 6th game a bullpen game you can probably get until game #14 before you need a 5th starter. 

#30 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 06:44 AM

Also not sure why Akin is projected to open with Os. He has an option option him and go with Tehran.

Teheran is on a minor league deal, so unless his opt-out is for Opening Day, which I doubt because usually they are a little later into the season, you can send him to Norfolk and go with Akin if desired.  Not excited about either guy, personally, so whichever way they wanna go, or sending both down, is fine with me.

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:11 AM

Teheran is on a minor league deal, so unless his opt-out is for Opening Day, which I doubt because usually they are a little later into the season, you can send him to Norfolk and go with Akin if desired. Not excited about either guy, personally, so whichever way they wanna go, or sending both down, is fine with me.

March 26th opt out.
  • Mackus likes this

#32 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 07:57 AM

So def go with Tehran. Hes a vet. Been here done it. That counts for something with me. At least initally. I think he should be the next guy up to start should another SP go down or Irvin sucks. I trust him more than any of these other guys to either eat innings out of the pen or be a Kyle Gibson in the rotation should we need it. Maybe not eat the same number of innings as Gibson but can give you 5 or 6 innings most nights without completely blowing up.

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:06 AM

Guess I slightly prefer Akin, but don't like either.  I think both are more likely to be over 5 than under 5.  Whoever is throwing better right now should start the season on the roster (if we have to have one of them) and then be jettisoned as soon as things go south which I suspect they will.  Teheran will cost the team $1.9M to add to the roster, Akin is free, if that matters at all.

#34 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:21 AM

Akin would be a 3rd lefty. That may help him some. Hes just a complete dud though. Known AAA-AAAA guy who has no chance of being more.

#35 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:22 AM

The cost is miniscule but if the rest is equal then go with Akin. The only thing Teheran has going for him is his experience. But unless he's pitching great then he is not a future option for this team.

Now I am not a fan of Akin either but he might be an option for the future. Might.

#36 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 08:27 AM

Tehran is the next guy up for the rotation. Thats important. You cant trust a Zimmermann, Suarez, McDermott, or a Povich to step in and perform like Tehran could. Dont even know if they would go to a Povich or McDermott yet.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 19 March 2024 - 09:00 AM

Akin would be a 3rd lefty. That may help him some. Hes just a complete dud though. Known AAA-AAAA guy who has no chance of being more.

Doesn't that pretty much describe Teheran at this point?

Sure, he had a 4.50 in about 70 MLB innings last year.  But he also was over 5 in about 55 AAA innings.  The year prior he was in independent and Mexican leagues and not exactly dominant.

I'm not going to bat for Akin, moreso just expressing skepticism that either he or Teheran can be useful for anything more than a very brief, lucky period.  I'd have a bit more confidence in Akin if directly comparing the two, but expect both to be bad.

#38 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 March 2024 - 12:14 PM

Doesn't that pretty much describe Teheran at this point?

Sure, he had a 4.50 in about 70 MLB innings last year.  But he also was over 5 in about 55 AAA innings.  The year prior he was in independent and Mexican leagues and not exactly dominant.

I'm not going to bat for Akin, moreso just expressing skepticism that either he or Teheran can be useful for anything more than a very brief, lucky period.  I'd have a bit more confidence in Akin if directly comparing the two, but expect both to be bad.

The real question should be why are we in a position, with all the resources we have, to even be having this discussion? Neither one of them should be on this team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=