#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 04 March 2024 - 04:42 PM

The surprise on that roster is Stowers over both Cowser and Kjerstad!

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:01 PM

The surprise on that roster is Stowers over both Cowser and Kjerstad!

I'd rather have Stowers as a reserve, and Cowser and Kjerstad playing everyday at AAA myself. 

Still think there is a decent chance we see a trade (Hays) prior to Opening Day, maybe less likely if Cedric has to miss anytime. 

By mid-year, I'm sure things will have sorted themselves out (injuries, trade, non-performance) and Cowser and Kjerstad will be up and getting regular time.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:17 PM

Trading Hays away before Opening Day would be as shocking to me as signing Montgomery or Snell. I see and am on board with the logic, but I'd be flabbergasted if it happens.

#7 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:28 PM

I think they will roll into the season mostly running it back and will have AAA stacked with guys on call. I think if a trade is made its trading away a RP in a minor trade. If I were to pick one position player who may still be traded its Urias. The question really is what OFer are they going to keep.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:30 PM

I also am starting to feel Holliday is indeed sent down. They start the season with Wong and we see where things stand in May.

#9 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 05:40 PM

I'd prefer Urias at 3B to Wong at 2B until Holliday is called up.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:30 PM

Could even be a platoon thing where Wong plays 2b vs RHP and Urias 3b against LHP ans Westburg slides to 2b. Just seems to me they want Westburg getting a lot of 3b reps.

Ill also note that historically Urias is a reverse splits guy. So playing him vs LHP vs RHP gives you no advantage.

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 06:39 PM

Wong was beyond atrocious in Sea last year but he is just 2 years away from a 3.1WAR season with Milwaukee. Frazier was 2 years removed from a 3 WAR season when we signed him last year. He allowed us to break Westburg in slowly. I feel like that may be the plan again this year with Wong and Jackson. Obviously a fluid situation and Urias and maybe even Mateo will have a say as well.

#12 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 March 2024 - 07:52 PM

There's lots of options including Mayo and Norby as well.

I'd gladly keep the extra year of service for both Holliday and Mayo of course.

#13 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 07:59 PM

There are plenty of options over the course of the year but Mayo and Norby arent factors to break camp on the 26 man roster.

#14 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,365 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:05 PM

There are plenty of options over the course of the year but Mayo and Norby arent factors to break camp on the 26 man roster.

I think it's highly unlikely that they will, but both have cases imo. Mayo's case is right up there with Holliday's imo.

#15 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:23 PM

Mayo has that look. At least offensively. But we are going to have to be patient early this season. Was reading a fangraphs article on the Wong signing and they brought up a good point about the 40 man spot. Mayo, Holliday, and Wong are all currently not on the 40 man. I can see 1 of Mayo/Holliday being added heading into the season but not both. Btw this is another aspect that hurts Norbys chances to be added anytime soon. Guy still doesnt have to be on the 40 til the season is over and there are already guys ahead of him like Mayo and Holliday in the pecking order

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,824 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Mayo has that look. At least offensively. But we are going to have to be patient early this season. Was reading a fangraphs article on the Wong signing and they brought up a good point about the 40 man spot. Mayo, Holliday, and Wong are all currently not on the 40 man. I can see 1 of Mayo/Holliday being added heading into the season but not both. Btw this is another aspect that hurts Norbys chances to be added anytime soon. Guy still doesnt have to be on the 40 til the season is over and there are already guys ahead of him like Mayo and Holliday in the pecking order

I think 40 man spots can become available.

Akin, Baker, Baumann, Heasley, Krook, Ort, Tate, Vespi, Webb and Zimmerman are all currently on it. Most of them still have options, but that's a long list of pretty forgettable guys who you could easily try to waive and get to Norfolk.

Maton, Nevin and McKenna are the hitters who are in similar boats.
  • RichardZ likes this

#17 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:49 PM

Matón, Nevin, McKenna are all coming off the 40 man if they don’t make the 26 man roster. Webb and Baumann out of options too. If either one of them don’t make it, that’s another spot. I can easily pick another pitcher or two to expose to waivers. 40 man spots for adding Teheran, Holliday/wong, Mayo etc. shouldn’t be a problem.
  • Mackus likes this

#18 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 08:50 PM

Akin, Baker, Baumann, Heasley, Krook, Ort, Tate, Vespi, Webb and Zimmerman are all currently on it. Most of them still have options, but that's a long list of pretty forgettable guys who you could easily try to waive and get to Norfolk.

Great minds think alike. You, apparently beat me by seconds.

#19 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 04 March 2024 - 09:06 PM

Of course but there is no reason to add  guys to the 40 that dont need to be added and then have them sit the bench or play the majority of their time in AAA. Not legit prospects like Mayo, Holliday, or Norby anyway. Keep as much flexibility as possible with the last few spots, keep salary down, and push back service time and option years. 

#20 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 01:59 PM

:-P Suarez is our #1 starter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=