#21 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 29 November 2012 - 08:08 PM

Yeah, I get the feeling that something is in the works as well. Not sure if it'll hit just before the Winter Meetings or get wrapped up within the first day or two of the WM's, but I think we're about to trade a young arm or two.

#22 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

With Reynolds officially non-tendered, how do you believe 1st will be addressed?

In-house? Davis being the most likely option?

Trade?

Free Agency?

I believe the most likely outcome is a trade for a DH or 1st baseman in the next couple of days.

#23 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

With Reynolds officially non-tendered, how do you believe 1st will be addressed?

In-house? Davis being the most likely option?

Trade?

Free Agency?

I believe the most likely outcome is a trade for a DH or 1st baseman in the next couple of days.

Either Davis or a trade...and if there is a trade, I think it would be Butler, thus moving Davis to first.

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:45 AM

Either Davis or a trade...and if there is a trade, I think it would be Butler, thus moving Davis to first.

That is my prediction and basically what I was talking about in the 'Predictions for next week plus' thread. That is kind of my expectation. I think Hosmer is possible, but less likely.

#25 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

That is my prediction and basically what I was talking about in the 'Predictions for next week plus' thread. That is kind of my expectation. I think Hosmer is possible, but less likely.

Agreed...Butler is the most likely...So, Butler to DH and Davis to first.

If Butler isn't who they get, my guess is they prefer Davis at DH and will try to get a first baseman, whether it be Hosmer or someone else young, with good upside.

#26 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:10 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,6880198.story

And, according to multiple sources, the Orioles have legitimate interest in adding LaRoche.

I still just can't get on board with this. Yes he's obviously more of a sure thing defensively than Davis, and can hit lefties better. But I still don't think it would be worth the money + draft pick, versus just getting a RH DH that can play 1B, and also LF if/when Reimold goes on the DL.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#27 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,401 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

No thanks. Broken record time: Would rather have Ross. The loss of a pick is not worth it for LaRoche.

#28 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,543 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

For the record, I don't think the Orioles add LaRoche....and from the sounds of it Connolly doesn't either. I believe they truly do want to give Davis a chance there. But still, the fact that there apparently is "legitimate interest" surprises me a bit.

#29 Mr. Oriole

Mr. Oriole
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 06:26 PM

What is more likely to happen first for Chris Davis - pitching tthe team to another win or winning the gold glove at first base?

#30 Roll Tide

Roll Tide

Banned

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,851 posts
  • LocationWestminster

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:31 PM

What is more likely to happen first for Chris Davis - pitching tthe team to another win or winning the gold glove at first base?

Neither Davis defense was pretty poor. I think Buck called him to get him to field ground balls in case he has no other option. I think Davis heard what he wanted to hear on the call and DD will eventually get somebody better.
Roll Tide

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

MASN: Why the Nats won't offer LaRoche a 3rd year
http://www.masnsport...-year-deal.html

#32 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... roche.html

Stick to your guns Duq!

#33 TomPeace

TomPeace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 111 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:56 AM

Here is the question you have to ask yourself when it comes to Laroche and giving up the draft pick, would you draft Adam Laroche with that first round pick?

#34 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:40 AM

Here is the question you have to ask yourself when it comes to Laroche and giving up the draft pick, would you draft Adam Laroche with that first round pick?

No...too old and overrated.

#35 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:50 AM

LaRoche on a 2-yar deal would probably be my top target among the FA 1B/DH options (and possibly even including the guys we'd have to trade for) if he didn't cost a draft pick. I have zero interest in him since he does cost us our 1st rounder, though, even with having that extra comp pick.

Gonna have to look for a trade target. Hopefully can find some sort of an upgrade. Davis at 1B, McLouth/Reimold at LF, and Betemit/Valencia at DH isn't an acceptable Plan A for heading into the season, IMO. That's not even standing pat from last year, as we're down Reynolds and Thome from last season's configuration. Waiting and hoping to make a move at the trade deadline for a power bat isn't good enough, IMO.

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,471 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 08:58 AM

The Nats are at 2 yrs $25M, and LaRoche wants that 3rd year.

Hard for me to see the O's offering that 3rd year, and giving up the pick. Is anyone an advocate of that?

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:12 AM

Notable 1st/supp draft picks #24 and later the past couple years:

Porcello, T. Frazier, D'arnaud, Cole, Odorizzi, Montgomery, Trout, M. Davidson, T. Skaggs, Boxberger, Z. Cox, Z. Lee, A. Sanchez, Snydregaard, Tijuan Walker, Castellanos, M. Olt, B. Goodwin, J. Bradley, Bichette Jr.

I didn't even include 2nd rounders or later that would have still been on the board (lot of hindsight there), but a couple things jump out at me.
1) There is a lot of elite talent to be had that late in the first.
2) TOR has developed an entire organization out of the late first/supp over 5 years.

So no, I don't give up that 1st no matter how much he'd fit our lineup and help.
@JeremyMStrain

#38 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,689 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

At this point, I let it play out and eventually he will sign with the Nats. At that point I trade for Morse and let him and Davis battle it out for 1B, with the other getting DH. I do not give up the pick!
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#39 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,386 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

At this point, I let it play out and eventually he will sign with the Nats. At that point I trade for Morse and let him and Davis battle it out for 1B, with the other getting DH. I do not give up the pick!

Keep in mind that what you are giving up for Morse could easily be more valuable than a first rounder as well. (I don't make that trade either, just don't consider him that much of an upgrade, and his defense is AWFUL, so he's basically a full time DH)
@JeremyMStrain

#40 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,148 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

Keep in mind that what you are giving up for Morse could easily be more valuable than a first rounder as well. (I don't make that trade either, just don't consider him that much of an upgrade, and his defense is AWFUL, so he's basically a full time DH)

Right, if the price for Morse approaches the value of the 1st round pick, then you don't make the trade. If you can get him for not so much, then grab him and make him your DH. That moves Betemit to the bench and Reimold to strictly the lefty-mashing platoon half in LF as the season starts. That's the ideal configuration.

If Morse's value remains too high, then we're gonna have to find smething else. Betemit and a platoon partner as the everyday DH role is a last resort option, IMO. We should look for any reasonable option to improve upon that and add depth to the roster. If we go into the season with McLouth/Reimold in LF, Davis at 1B, and Betemit/platoonpartner at DH, then it's a near lock that one of those are plans are going to blow up in our faces and be a major weakness. Grab another 1B/DH and it gives you a much better chance of absorbing that hit whenever it happens.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=