#2 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 08 February 2024 - 08:35 PM

Orioles.com: Can Holliday make Opening Day roster? O's GM says there's a chance

Aren't there rules about players reaching 'shaving age' before making the big league roster? 

I kid. 

I like the idea of getting Mateo as many innings as possible at 2B and CF this spring. Hell, get him some in LF too. I was OK with bringing Hays back, especially because of the expanse that is LF at Camden Yards (Walltimore is a great name). 

#3 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 10 February 2024 - 10:49 AM

If this is ok....dragging this over here from the Maton thread...response to 'what does a good spring' look like....

You’d have to ask Mike Elias but swinging the bat well, not chasing, and making solid contact is probably more important than hitting.350. Having said that, I’d guess good plate discipline numbers, making the DP and few mistakes on defense, and having good numbers in the traditional sense (.300+, .800+,) would be considered a good spring. -RichardZ

I can keep asking the next question and we can walk down this path but ultimately...these standards (whatever they are) are only applied to the desire of the Team.  Not everyone has opportunity.  We give it to Holliday and apply it uniquely to him because [for whatever reasons] we want to see it.

Spring training stats mean nothing.  It's inconsistent ABs, varied competition, players may be working on specific things getting ready, players are going to be at different levels in preparation, it's not that you can't learn things or observe things, great, but the correlation between ST and the season is historically zero.  Last year, only 5 players had more than 60 ABs, it's all SSSS.

Matt Olson was a monster last spring and he delivered an epic season for the Braves....but to tie it to the other thread, Nick Maton hit 5 HRs with an OPS > 1.000 last spring.  So did Parker Meadows, Michael Massey, Darik Hall and Andres Chaparro.  We just acquired Maton for cash.

Not sure why Elias has chosen the public words that he has.  Even if he thinks/wants him to make the opening day roster, it's not hard to choose words to slow the roll rather than feed the internet in the way that he has.

Whenever Holliday gets here, I hope he does great. OD comes with consequences even though they seem to get dismissed.  It seems more reasonable to temper expectations for 20 year olds with little full-season experience.

#4 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,686 posts

Posted 10 February 2024 - 11:03 AM

I would say that is Elias motivating a 20 year old kid about his future than it is trying to placate a fanbase. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=