727 replies to this topic

#61 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:46 PM

I think Madubuike comes back on the franchise tag if a deal can't be worked out otherwise. I agree that Queen is as good as gone. You can't pay two off-ball linebackers $20 million or more per annum.

Trenton Simpson looked great against Pittsburgh. He should fill in fine for Queen at a fraction of the cost.

#62 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,044 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 03:47 PM

I think Madubuike comes back on the franchise tag if a deal can't be worked out otherwise. I agree that Queen is as good as gone. You can't pay two off-ball linebackers $20 million or more per annum.

I think Queen will be easier to replace than Madubuike. It was only one game but Trenton Simpson was flying to and attacking the ball against PIT in the season finale. Second year man with a full off-season to maybe add a little more muscle and study, learn from Roquan, big hopes there.

#63 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:03 PM

I think Queen will be easier to replace than Madubuike. It was only one game but Trenton Simpson was flying to and attacking the ball against PIT in the season finale. Second year man with a full off-season to maybe add a little more muscle and study, learn from Roquan, big hopes there.

Queen: 2023 (133 tackles, 3.5 sacks, 9 TFL, 6 QB Hits, 1 INT, 6 PD, 1 FF, 1 FR). Queen’s strong play this season helped him earn his first-ever Pro Bowl selection, and a spot on the Second-Team All-Pro squad.

That's gonna be tough to replace.  But Trenton is a bit bigger than Queen, he should fit in real nice next to Roquan.

#64 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:11 PM

The Raven's should again win the AFC regular season and be the #1 seed. 

Once again, the No. 1 seed meant nothing.  As long as they make the playoffs, I don't care.  

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:24 PM

Once again, the No. 1 seed meant nothing. As long as they make the playoffs, I don't care.

It got them a bye into the 2nd round. I don't think it meant nothing, though I'd have expected them to beat anyone they might've faced in that round.

They wasted the opportunity, but don't belittle the value of the opportunity by saying getting a bye is meaningless. These games are hard. All playoff games are loseable, so if you get to skip one that's always meaningful.
  • makoman likes this

#66 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:28 PM

It got them a bye into the 2nd round. I don't think it meant nothing, though I'd have expected them to beat anyone they might've faced in that round.

They wasted the opportunity, but don't belittle the value of the opportunity by saying getting a bye is meaningless. These games are hard. All playoff games are loseable, so if you get to skip one that's always meaningful.

Cowboys had the same record as the 49ers and probably wish they’d had a bye.

Home field is also important. Even if people don’t think we have a great advantage, which I’m not sure is right, it’s better than going to Buffalo or KC.

#67 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:46 PM

It didn't mean much to the Ravens in the end.  I guess the 49ers are thrilled with it, though.  

#68 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, I don't think they can afford to lose Madubuike so they'll more than likely franchise him and then figure out a way to give him a 3 year deal later. 

#69 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 04:57 PM

It didn't mean much to the Ravens in the end.  I guess the 49ers are thrilled with it, though.  

It did though.  It saved them a `~30% chance of losing in the 1st round and gave them a better shot at winning in the 2nd round as well as a better shot at winning in the 3rd round.

Failing to capitalize is different than saying it didn't give them an advantage.  It was very meaningful to have the advantage, they just managed to screw it up. 

#70 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 05:23 PM

It did though.  It saved them a `~30% chance of losing in the 1st round and gave them a better shot at winning in the 2nd round as well as a better shot at winning in the 3rd round.

Failing to capitalize is different than saying it didn't give them an advantage.  It was very meaningful to have the advantage, they just managed to screw it up. 

I hear what you're saying and how the mathematics ties into it but ultimately, it didn't mean anything because they lost.  If they had won, what you're saying would have been pertinent information.  Until it does matter to them, I really don't care where they place next year. Wild card weekend would be fine with me and home field advantage is overrated too. 

#71 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,315 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 05:25 PM

Cowboys had the same record as the 49ers and probably wish they’d had a bye.

Home field is also important. Even if people don’t think we have a great advantage, which I’m not sure is right, it’s better than going to Buffalo or KC.

I doubt it matters much. With the same game plan, they would have lost to those teams regardless of where it took place. 

#72 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:11 PM

Honestly, it doesn't really matter what they do in the offseason. It doesn't really matter who they draft. It doesn't matter who their coaches are. If Lamar Jackson is still under center, choking away games in the playoffs, all of that BS means nothing.

I'm not saying they shouldn't try to get better, and I'm not saying that they aren't going to be good next year, but at this point the only thing that matters is winning a Superbowl. When you have one of the biggest choke artists in franchise history as your "MVP" quarterback, and the Chiefs own them as hard as they do, that goal seems almost impossible to achieve.

#73 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:14 PM

The only reason they were in the AFCCG or pretty consistently among the top teams in football is Lamar Jackson. It's absolutely fair to critique his playoff play.

The fact that he's won 75% of his games in the regular season shouldn't be discredited, however.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#74 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:18 PM

The only reason they were in the AFCCG or pretty consistently among the top teams in football is Lamar Jackson. It's absolutely fair to critique his playoff play.

The fact that he's won 75% of his games in the regular season shouldn't be discredited, however.

I couldn't care less anymore about his regular season play. What is it worth? What has it gotten them?

Nothing.

The defense did their job. They did everything reasonably expected of them. Im sure that privately they are furious but won't make it known publicly. Eventually Lamar us going to lose their confidence and earn their frustration, and rightfully so.

If you can't win the big one I don't want you as my team's QB, and he can't win it, at least to this point.

#75 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:22 PM

You need that regular season play to have a shot at the dance. As long as he's healthy - he's going to get you a shot at the dance. We've had the #1 seed twice with a fully healthy Lamar and a #5 seed in a very weird 2020 season.

I'll take that and the chance he strings together 2 or 3 Lamar games in January/ February.

#76 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:42 PM

You need that regular season play to have a shot at the dance. As long as he's healthy - he's going to get you a shot at the dance. We've had the #1 seed twice with a fully healthy Lamar and a #5 seed in a very weird 2020 season.

I'll take that and the chance he strings together 2 or 3 Lamar games in January/ February.

Yes, we have had that #1 seed twice, with two absolutely brutal, disgusting, heartbreaking exits on the back of his extremely poor play. In fact, every time he's taken the ball in the playoffs, the games they lose have been downright ugly. They haven't been games where the other team has just beaten us. They've been games we've beaten ourselves.

Like it or not, some guys are just built for the brightest lights. Kobe was one. Jordan was one. Mahomes is one. Brady was one. Lamar Jackson just isn't.

This was a damn good roster, and it still will be next year. I don't want to waste the next 5 years trying to fly a plane that crash lands every season. We know who Lamar is. He's one of the best regular season quarterbacks of all time, likely about to win his second mvp, who's team has nothing to show for it.

Ultimately it doesn't matter, because he's not going anywhere. He makes too much money, and even if he were put up for trade, there wouldn't be many suitors for him to begin with. But I would take about 7 to 10 quarterbacks in the league over him, and I wouldn't think twice about it. They may not win as much in the regular season with somebody else, but they would at least have a chance in the playoffs with a guy who plays like who he normally is.

#77 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:46 PM

But I would take about 7 to 10 quarterbacks in the league over him, and I wouldn't think twice about it. They may not win as much in the regular season with somebody else, but they would at least have a chance in the playoffs with a guy who plays like who he normally is.

The only QB I might take over Lamar is Mahomes.  Lamar is 1B to Mahomes 1A. 

#78 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:46 PM

If this all sounds harsh, I can't help it. They will likely not get a chance like this year again over the rest of Lamar's contract, and it feels like they didn't just piss away one year, they pissed away five.

#79 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:48 PM

Who are you definitely taking over Lamar without question besides Mahomes and Burrow?

#80 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,066 posts

Posted 29 January 2024 - 06:49 PM

The only QB I might take over Lamar is Mahomes. Lamar is 1B to Mahomes 1A.

Mahomes is on a tier by himself. Nobody is close.

Lamar is on the 2nd tier with the other top few guys. Allen, Burrow. Maybe a few others. Order will change year to year amongst the tier, this year I'd put Lamar atop that tier, after last year I'd say Allen was, year before Burrow.

I don't think anyone is capable of consistently reaching Mahomes' tier. I think he's the greatest to ever do it. Lamar deservedly the MVP this year, but that doesn't mean better overall in the big picture. Just more accomplished and more impactful in this one season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=