Photo

The Ringer: Lamar Jackson Spent This Season Making the Teams Who Passed on Him Look Dumb

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,777 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 03:18 PM

That beautiful TD pass to Likely, to his back shoulder where only he could catch it, tells me everything I need to know about the "Lamar is just a running QB" narrative.

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 03:23 PM

I was reading a Texans message board after the game and I was amazed at the number of their fans who still think Lamar is just a runner. Lamar is the best dual threat qb we've ever seen and I think it throws people off. If Lamar never crossed the line of scrimmage he'd still be a very efficient passer. If he had to throw the ball 40 times I think he could still lead the Ravens to victory. His ability to pass will always be underrated because he's such a great runner.

It would be a big eye opener for some if a true dual threat QB won a SB. I mean some would just say it was all our D or something. But others would finally understand how hard it is to defend and what a dynamic it brings. The first half didnt help him to be honest. I heard a guy last night on a podcast who was obviously a Lamar doubter/hater just keep refrencing the 1st half.  And he's like yeah 2nd half was an A+ but that first half you see why I said what I said. And to be fair, Lamar was holding the ball too long. Looking to play backyard football. I think Monken certainly changed some things up and helped him in the 2nd half but Lamar was also more decisive. So he still flashes these moments that give the people who question him fuel. But these same people need to recognize that  he also has the ability to be on time and play within the scheme and be excellent as well

• 85Knight likes this

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 04:13 PM

I was reading a Texans message board after the game and I was amazed at the number of their fans who still think Lamar is just a runner. Lamar is the best dual threat qb we've ever seen and I think it throws people off. If Lamar never crossed the line of scrimmage he'd still be a very efficient passer. If he had to throw the ball 40 times I think he could still lead the Ravens to victory. His ability to pass will always be underrated because he's such a great runner.

When you complete almost 70% of your passes, you're a good passer, even in today's game.  When someone starts criticizing Lamar, I say my usual, stock response: he revolutionized the sport.  There is no kid in college that's being drafted in the first 5 picks that isn't a dual quarterback now.  I don't care how great of a passer someone is, if he lacks mobility and the ability to run and move the chains, he's a 2nd or 3rd rounder at best.  It's all because of Lamar. 

• 85Knight likes this

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 January 2024 - 04:27 PM

It would be a big eye opener for some if a true dual threat QB won a SB. I mean some would just say it was all our D or something. But others would finally understand how hard it is to defend and what a dynamic it brings. The first half didnt help him to be honest. I heard a guy last night on a podcast who was obviously a Lamar doubter/hater just keep refrencing the 1st half. And he's like yeah 2nd half was an A+ but that first half you see why I said what I said. And to be fair, Lamar was holding the ball too long. Looking to play backyard football. I think Monken certainly changed some things up and helped him in the 2nd half but Lamar was also more decisive. So he still flashes these moments that give the people who question him fuel. But these same people need to recognize that he also has the ability to be on time and play within the scheme and be excellent as well

Does Steve Young count? He supposedly ran a low-4.5 40 time but he predated the combine so his results weren't official. He's still 6th all time in qb rushing yards

Part of the reason that Houston's game plan was successful in the first half was because a few times Lamar did try to make a play, or Monken dialed up a designed run, and Christian Harris made some fantastic open field tackles that practically no one else has made. Harris ran a 40 in 4.44 and he's a legit linebacker size, so it made sense, but it was one of the few times that a spy on Lamar was successful. The only other time I can think of was the SD playoff game where they had Derwin James in the box as a spy all game. But it takes special athletes to make that work.

#25 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 04:36 PM

I thought of Young as a pocket QB. I dont remember many of his runs being designed runs. He certainly isnt dual threat in the way these guys are today but its fair to debate if he should be labeled as a dual threat.

#26 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:12 PM

Does Steve Young count? He supposedly ran a low-4.5 40 time but he predated the combine so his results weren't official. He's still 6th all time in qb rushing yards

Part of the reason that Houston's game plan was successful in the first half was because a few times Lamar did try to make a play, or Monken dialed up a designed run, and Christian Harris made some fantastic open field tackles that practically no one else has made. Harris ran a 40 in 4.44 and he's a legit linebacker size, so it made sense, but it was one of the few times that a spy on Lamar was successful. The only other time I can think of was the SD playoff game where they had Derwin James in the box as a spy all game. But it takes special athletes to make that work.

owusu-koramoah seems to do a good job when Cleveland uses him as a spy as well. Be hes also a freak athlete.

Houston had a unique game plan. They had Harris as a rush/spy guy. If he had a clear lane he blitzed, if he was picked up, he'd step back and would become a true spy. Monken wasn't leaving a RB or TE in to block in the first, so he had a lot of open lanes to blitz through in the first half. Second half Monken was calling quicker route combos and leaving a RB in to block.

Monken adjusted, Houston did not.

#27 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:40 PM

Just keep going back to the "who cares" attitude when people question or minimize Lamar's abilities. The dude runs very well, and THROWS very well. Most importantly, he plays, and they win 75% of the time. Sometimes with his legs, sometimes with his arm, and sometimes with both on the same play. Just win...

The mass hype over guys who fit a mold that pleases the eye is endlessly frustrating. Tyreek Hill hasn't gone far without Mahomes despite the regular season glory and stats. Mahomes has a ring without him and will be playing next week in pursuit of another. Tyreek will watch on TV. Same as Hollywood Brown. WRs and gunslinger QBs who turn the ball over can have the inflated reputations. Give me the guys who just get it done, in whatever manner they do it.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#28 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 24 January 2024 - 03:58 PM

That beautiful TD pass to Likely, to his back shoulder where only he could catch it, tells me everything I need to know about the "Lamar is just a running QB" narrative.

That narrative was always BS. No one calls Josh Allen a running QB and he does plenty of running. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=