#441 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2024 - 07:35 AM

But they had pressure on Stroud practically all game and that took away those deep shots. They also smothered whatever running game Houston tried to establish.

From reading some of the post game stuff from the players, it sounded like they weren't terribly concerned about getting sacks but keeping Stroud on the run. Then, just smothering pass catchers and not allowing big plays. Cleveland got burned by Stroud by bringing pressure, then miscommunications in the secondary resulted in wide open. receivers.
  • mdrunning likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#442 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2024 - 07:38 AM

Damn, on that TD to Likely Lamar said he threw it to his back shoulder on purpose because he thought Stingley was trying to undercut him and he needed it behind him to prevent him from doing that. I rewatched the video and he was spot on, Stingley got outside leverage on Likely running toward the sideline, so behind him was the safest spot. Lamar sees the game at such a high level. Stingley played that pretty well.

Lamar has always been very adept at throwing away from coverage. I think some people mistake it for inaccuracy because it may look like his throw was behind a receiver. In reality, he was putting the football where only his guy could get it.
  • 85Knight likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#443 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:06 AM

Ricker has said a few times of late that this is the year where it feels like we have to pounce. We are really good. KC and Buf appear to be down a little bit. Burrow and Cin ended up out of the mix. Hou and Stroud arent quite there yet but it appears they may be a force in the coming years. I think thats where a lot of my angst has come from. Its all there for the taking. Call it rust. Call it being tight. Playing poorly. Coaching poorly. Through 1 half it felt like we were gonna blow it. 2nd half they went out and proved they are them. Anything can happen next week but the jitters are out for me. Lets go play and see what happens. No being scared. If we play our best or even bring the A- game we will win.

#444 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:17 AM

Great halftime adjustment by Monken to take Lamar's spy out of the game. I noticed a lot more Ricard in the 2nd half and it completely changed what Lamar was able to do.

If the defense plays like that it won't matter if we're playing against Mahomes or Allen. That was total domination against a good young qb.

#445 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:21 AM

Looked like a lot more designed runs for LJ, and we saw them go for big gains. In the season they lead so much, they probably kept a lid on some of that. Didn’t seem like many outside of some read options. Looked like the unleashed him now that the playoffs are here.
  • JStruds likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#446 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:54 AM

Dominating performance on both sides of the ball.  If the Ravens play like that for the next 2 games = SB champs X3.

#447 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2024 - 08:58 AM

Great day at the Stadium yesterday.  It was cold and the first half was nerve wracking, when the Ravens blitzed down the field to start the second half it seemed clear that they were going to a level the Texans could not match.  The defense was magnificent the entire game, and Lamar is the best player in the NFL.  The Ravens are the best team in football and I think they are going to prove it.    

• NewMarketSean and JStruds like this
@mikeghg

#448 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,652 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:06 AM

One more note.  For those who have been saying the Raven's fans don't care as much or they do not create a home field advantage, if you were there yesterday, you would not say that again.  The place was rocking.  I can not wait until next Sunday.

• You Play to Win the Game, NewMarketSean, 85Knight and 1 other like this
@mikeghg

#449 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:07 AM

Looked like a lot more designed runs for LJ, and we saw them go for big gains. In the season they lead so much, they probably kept a lid on some of that. Didn’t seem like many outside of some read options. Looked like the unleashed him now that the playoffs are here.

May have also been a response to what Houston was doing defensively. On a couple of the options Lamar pulled, the edge guy bit really hard on the handoff to the RB. Lamar pulled it and had 10+ yards of open space on those.

Houston called a great game defensively in the first half. The non-stop 5 or 6 man blitz caught Monken and the offense by surprise. At one point they showed Ryans defense had blitzed on 73% of the plays. At halftime, Monken did what he's done all season. He made the right adjustments, he changed his playcalls to have an extra blocker, and shorter developing routes.

Credit goes to the coaches as much as the players. The coaches threw a perfect game in the second half. And the players executed perfectly. So far this season, no team has been able to fool Macdonald or Monken for a full game. Huge change from Wink and especially Roman.

I think they should prepare for a lot of the same from either Buffalo or KC. Whoever it is, is going to see the success Houston had in the first half with the non-stop blitz.

Credit to Macdonald and the defense as well. They were run all over in some games at the end. Yesterday, they only gave up one run. And even that run Singletary didn't have a hole, he just made a couple guys miss. If the defense can completely blank Pacheco/Cook like that, and make the opponent one dimensional again, I like our chances.
  • Mike in STL and 85Knight like this

#450 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,677 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:30 AM

One more note.  For those who have been saying the Raven's fans don't care as much or they do not create a home field advantage, if you were there yesterday, you would not say that again.  The place was rocking.  I can not wait until next Sunday.

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I wake up the next day after a game with no voice. The place was rocking and we generated at least four false starts. 

I was never cold. I may have even overdressed somewhat. Next weekend looks to be much warmer. Seeing temps near 50 and sunny. That’s hoodie weather. 

• Mike B and 85Knight like this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#451 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:31 AM

One more note. For those who have been saying the Raven's fans don't care as much or they do not create a home field advantage, if you were there yesterday, you would not say that again. The place was rocking. I can not wait until next Sunday.

It was. Well done. Sunday is going to be insane.
  • NewMarketSean likes this

#452 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:38 AM

Not as much time as I use to for posts now that I'm a newlywed, but Lamar and the D did the dam thing. That's the post.  :)

• BSLChrisStoner, The Epic, Mackus and 4 others like this

#453 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:39 AM

Not as much time as I use to for posts now that I'm a newlywed, but Lamar and the D did the dam thing. That's the post. :)

Nice, congrats Ken.

#454 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:49 AM

Nice, congrats Ken.

Thanks brother. we've been together for 22 years happily unmarried, then the U.S healthcare system stepped in  :mrgreen:

• You Play to Win the Game and mdrunning like this

#455 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,711 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:53 AM

Houston really broke tendency on defense. I mentioned on the podcast this week that Houston blitzed at a 21.9% rate for the regular season. For them to blitz at that insane rate yesterday was not something I saw coming.
@primetime667083

#456 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:56 AM

Houston really broke tendency on defense. I mentioned on the podcast this week that Houston blitzed at a 21.9% rate for the regular season. For them to blitz at that insane rate yesterday was not something I saw coming.

Sometimes you have to do something unexpectedly. Just didn't work out for them. 

#457 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 09:59 AM

From reading some of the post game stuff from the players, it sounded like they weren't terribly concerned about getting sacks but keeping Stroud on the run. Then, just smothering pass catchers and not allowing big plays. Cleveland got burned by Stroud by bringing pressure, then miscommunications in the secondary resulted in wide open. receivers.

The Ravens also forced Stroud into an intentional grounding, which is just as good as a sack. He's a hard guy to get to anyway, largely due to that quick release. Reminds me a bit of Dan Marino in that he releases the ball from just behind his ear.

#458 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:00 AM

Not as much time as I use to for posts now that I'm a newlywed, but Lamar and the D did the dam thing. That's the post.  :)

Hey, congratulations!

• bmore_ken likes this

#459 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:06 AM

First AFC championship game in Baltimore since January 3, 1971.

In fact, the two teams that acted as hosts for the first-ever AFC and NFC championships will be doing it again this year.

• SonicAttack likes this

#460 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 January 2024 - 10:07 AM

I think this is the fourth or fifth time I wake up the next day after a game with no voice. The place was rocking and we generated at least four false starts.

I was never cold. I may have even overdressed somewhat. Next weekend looks to be much warmer. Seeing temps near 50 and sunny. That’s hoodie weather.

You must have been bombed if you were never cold lol. My feet were FREEZING. I have these dumb boots that are supposed to be warm and waterproof. Did neither. And they’re uncomfortable — my feet are killing me today.
  • SonicAttack likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)

Our Sponsors

width=