https://www.masnspor...and-curiosities

#2 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 04:27 PM

I know he gets a lot of grief around here, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Orioles can do much worse than having Dean Kremer as their 4th/5th starter.

He had a very rough April and June, but was otherwise very good in 2023. He had a 3.25 second half ERA in 74 IP with an opponent OPS of .621.

Akin is way down the list of LH relief options behind Coloumbe, Perez, Hall. I think he's a DFA candidate.
  • BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 06:41 PM

I know he gets a lot of grief around here, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, the Orioles can do much worse than having Dean Kremer as their 4th/5th starter.

He had a very rough April and June, but was otherwise very good in 2023. He had a 3.25 second half ERA in 74 IP with an opponent OPS of .621.

Akin is way down the list of LH relief options behind Coloumbe, Perez, Hall. I think he's a DFA candidate.

I'll agree with 5th. 4th is too much.

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 January 2024 - 09:42 AM

Do I think Kremer is in the rotation come opening day? Yes.

Do I think their rotation is fine having Kremer as the #5? Yes

But there is also no reason at all that the O's can't have a better rotation come opening day than one having Kremer in it.

#5 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:51 AM

I think that Kremer's horrible outing in the final playoff game is behind a lot of this. I have no problem w/him as 5th starter unless McDermott or somebody else from the minors outshines him.

I actually think Means is shakier than Kremer because of his history of arm trouble. Means has done well when he's able to pitch, but he's had problems w/injuries a couple of times during his Birds' tenure.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:03 PM

But there is also no reason at all that the O's can't have a better rotation come opening day than one having Kremer in it.

Well...no good reasons.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:10 PM

Kremer always seems to have a rough patch and always seems to do better in warm weather but he has been pretty good for the Orioles.

Like you said if he is your 4th or 5th starter, you are in good shape.

As for posters here giving them grief, I am not sure anyone is immune from that.

@mikeghg

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 January 2024 - 04:17 PM

Akin Opening Day?  No.  It's a numbers game and he has an option.  It's him or someone like Hall....so if they don't do anything SP-wise and put Hall in the rotation or 'stretch him out' (or manage his innings) at AAA, then sure Akin can make it, but it's a condition outside (like injury or another trade) what would be an expectation in Jan.

Kremer lock for rotation? Yes.  He's earned the opportunity.  he's not the best but he's been good the last 2 years.  I've discussed him in other trades or whatever, but if he's here, he's in.

Perez be trusted? Sure? He doesn't have an option so he's either on the roster or he gets claimed (or traded).  Everyone wanted to replace him (I did too) and he came back last year with a strong second half. RPs aren't linear. <<shrug>>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=