Photo

The Ringer: NFL Teams Said They Didn’t Want Lamar Jackson. What Were They Really Saying?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 10:34 AM

Collusion or not, no other team was going to get Lamar because the Ravens were never going to let him walk. He was a free agent, yes, but no in the truest sense of the word. Any team hoping to sign him was going to have to fork over two first-round draft picks as well as a contract similar to that of DeShaun Watson. Hardly the definition of "free."

It worked out this way, but it wasn't a foregone conclusion.  Multiple teams had the type of cap space in 2024 where they could've front-loaded a contract to the degree where the Ravens literally couldn't match the deal, and you have to match the exact terms of you can't keep the player.  

I was shocked that those teams didn't make that sort of contract offer.  I think some of those teams, especially the Falcons, probably regret not doing so.

Credit to DeCosta for correctly reading what other teams would do.  But it was a big gamble.  I'd really be interested in knowing what type of contract Lamar was asking for right after the 2020 season when he was first eligible to sign an extension all the way through just prior to the 2022 season when they cut off negotiations.  My guess would be that we could've gotten him signed for a lot less than we ultimately did, at least up until Watson signed his deal in March of 2022.  So while there is no doubt that DeCosta played things brilliantly last offseason, I think its likely the deal still cost the Ravens a lot more than it would have if they'd agreed to Lamar's terms earlier.  Though again, don't know exactly what Lamar was asking for during those earlier times.

• mdrunning likes this

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,305 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 10:41 AM

I know there had been some debate who the best QB in franchise history is. IM curious how much this 2nd MVP season and another #1 seed has changed some peoples mind.  Or because Joe won a SB and with such a terrific postseason will some people never put Lamar above him unless he also wins a SB.

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:11 AM

I appreciate everything Joe did for the team but lets not even begin to kid ourselves who has the most talent. Lamar revolutionized the position. End of conversation.

• Mackus likes this

#24 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:16 AM

I know there had been some debate who the best QB in franchise history is. IM curious how much this 2nd MVP season and another #1 seed has changed some peoples mind.  Or because Joe won a SB and with such a terrific postseason will some people never put Lamar above him unless he also wins a SB.

Bad mojo to bring this up with Flacco still lurking out there in the playoffs.

#25 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,284 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 11:53 AM

Oddly enough, Joe's best year as a Raven was 2014 with Kubiak and was perhaps heading to another Super Bowl appearance until the defense blew three different leads in the play-off loss in New England. 

#26 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,619 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:00 PM

Oddly enough, Joe's best year as a Raven was 2014 with Kubiak and was perhaps heading to another Super Bowl appearance until the defense blew three different leads in the play-off loss in New England. 

Flacco also threw a late pick that ended any chance of coming back.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#27 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 12:34 PM

Flacco also threw a late pick that ended any chance of coming back.

Torrey Smith made no effort on that ball.

That game chaps my ass even more than the Evans/Cundiff game. That game was a battle, and the Ravens made the crucial mistake. 

The 2014 game the Ravens had zero business losing. Not 1, but 2, 14-point leads blown. The Patriots pulled so much out of their butts to stay in the game. The 6 WR sets the Ravens couldn't figure out who wasn't eligible. Amendola (or Edleman?) with the WR pass for a TD. I feel like if the Ravens ever get cute it's a disaster, but the Patriots always mastered the things you practice one time.

@BSLMikeRandall

#28 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:29 PM

That game chaps my ass even more than the Evans/Cundiff game. That game was a battle, and the Ravens made the crucial mistake. 

The 2014 game the Ravens had zero business losing. Not 1, but 2, 14-point leads blown. The Patriots pulled so much out of their butts to stay in the game. The 6 WR sets the Ravens couldn't figure out who wasn't eligible. Amendola (or Edleman?) with the WR pass for a TD. I feel like if the Ravens ever get cute it's a disaster, but the Patriots always mastered the things you practice one time.

I always thought that was more Torrey's fault too, not that it was a great decision to throw into double coverage off the back foot on 2nd and 5.

The real problem that game was the depleted secondary. Brady knew where Rashaan Melvin was every play it seemed...

• Mike in STL likes this

#29 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:31 PM

I think I remember hearing on one of those New England second-half drives, they never faced a third down, and just one (I think) on what proved to be their game-winning drive. What I vividly remember is New England punting with just seconds left and Jacoby Jones wasting time trying to get out of bounds after fielding the kick. Might not have made a difference, but it probably cost the Ravens one last heave toward the end zone.

I think there were some rule changes regarding eligible receivers that offseason.

#30 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 01:32 PM

I always thought that was more Torrey's fault too, not that it was a great decision to throw into double coverage off the back foot on 2nd and 5.

The real problem that game was the depleted secondary. Brady knew where Rashaan Melvin was every play it seemed...

What I remember is the Ravens' defensive backs playing several area codes off the New England receivers. Even with the widest of wide screens, they still weren't in the picture at the snap.

#31 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:02 PM

I think there was pressure on both sides.  The NFL, IMO was definitely pressuring the Ravens to not do a guaranteed deal.  I also think the NFLPA was guiding Lamar to hold tight in demanding a guaranteed deal.  Lamar got paid and he has played like he is very happy.

As for Herbert and Burrow, they got more because the next franchise QB signing always seems to get more.

@mikeghg

#32 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:07 PM

The Ringer: NFL Teams Said They Didn’t Want Lamar Jackson. What Were They Really Saying?

They didn't want a winner. All the guy does is  win games. If not  for Roman, he'd probably already have a Super Bowl ring. 

#33 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:09 PM

You almost have to consider that maybe the owners did collude together to make sure that the Watson deal was an anomaly and not to become the norm. Unlikely, but something to consider.

Also, the health concerns were real and I'm sure there's some stigma around the league that he's still wasn't a great passing QB.

I'm with you on the health stuff. Not the collusion. The Browns will always be the Browns. No one else was giving Watson that  contract or anyone after. That's why he's in Cleveland. 

#34 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,883 posts

Posted 05 January 2024 - 02:14 PM

Collusion or not, no other team was going to get Lamar because the Ravens were never going to let him walk. He was a free agent, yes, but no in the truest sense of the word. Any team hoping to sign him was going to have to fork over two first-round draft picks as well as a contract similar to that of DeShaun Watson. Hardly the definition of "free."

Agreed. DeCosta was a genius with the non exclusive tag. Any team that wanted him had to clear the cap space to afford  him and the Ravens could just match and keep him.  I think we'll see more of that until the next CBA negotiations.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=