#21 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 03:51 PM

I'll stick with this. 

Good choice. You can’t win the argument on logic and merit.

#22 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 04:00 PM

I probably wouldn't extend him, but I'm fine with riding out his remaining contract with him in LF.

He's still only 28 (will turn 29 mid season) and he's a solid 2-3 WAR player. The new dimension definitely hurt his HR power, but it'll do that to most RH hitters.
  • mdrunning likes this

#23 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 04:10 PM

Well, in dudes world we just lost Adam Jones. We signed him to a 5 year extension during the 2018 season. The biggest reason for the extension was leadership and his impact in the community. With that massive loss we had to make sure that leadership role doesnt become void anytime the next 5+ years. Heck, you might even get a bit more on field production than a 36-38 yr old AJ would've given the last 3 years.

#24 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 05:44 PM

The White Sox won 93 games and made the playoffs with pretty much the same team as last year. Did they have different leaders in 2021 or did they stink because:

1. Their all-star closer got cancer
2. Their all-star SS became one of the worst players in baseball last year
3. Their big FA acquisition was a nothing on offense and disappointing on defense.
4. They had one of the worst defenses in baseball
5. Their starters all under performed

When teams suck, leadership and intangibles are questioned. Who here said the White Sox had poor leadership in 2021?

This is not to say leadership doesn’t exist and doesn’t have value BUT when we can’t explain things it’s the first thing people question or credit.

Frank Robinson is credited with being a great leader in 1966. Probably a lot of truth to that but it wouldn’t have helped nearly as much without the 49 homers, triple crown, or 1.046 OPS.
  • BaltBird 24, BSLSteveBirrer and mdrunning like this

#25 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 02 January 2024 - 11:24 PM

The White Sox won 93 games and made the playoffs with pretty much the same team as last year. Did they have different leaders in 2021 or did they stink because:

Information

#26 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 03 January 2024 - 08:04 AM

This doesn’t mean I think team leadership and character are worthless. Elias has done a great job of getting and drafting players who work hard and play hard. However, there is no reason to believe that without the players you mentioned, the team will be without leaders. No doubt, players among Rutschman, Westburg, Kjerstad, will become leaders. You’ve determined Hays is a leader by watching interviews and watching him. That sounds like complete BS to me. Of course, you have the self proclaimed (or is it imagined) that allows you to see things the rest of us don’t.

Any chance you understand the irony of what you wrote here?

#27 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 04 January 2024 - 10:31 AM

Any chance you understand the irony of what you wrote here?

No. I don’t have the required life experience to understand irony. Can you understand this? I don’t believe Austin Hays possesses any special leadership qualities above and beyond the players I mentioned. I’m sure he’s a good teammate and sets a good example. I’m confident that Kjerstad, Westburg, Mayo, etc., will be good teammates and set good examples for future Orioles who come after them. AND, even if Hays had better than ordinary leadership qualities it would still be stupid to talk about extending him when he has two years of service time remaining. Do you understand?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=