#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 December 2023 - 12:30 PM

Without other context (that certainly could matter)

Mateo/Henderson (depending on what starter we're facing)

I do want Ortiz starting, for the Dodgers.

Holliday at Norfolk.

#3 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 12:54 PM

Henderson

#4 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 December 2023 - 01:10 PM

Henderson at SS, Holliday at 2B, Ortiz on the bench, Mateo in another organization.

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 December 2023 - 01:19 PM

Henderson.

Holliday in Norfolk.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,322 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 01:49 PM

I'd like Henderson at 3rd.
Ortiz at SS.
Westburg at 2nd.

Holliday replacing one of Ortiz / Westburg at midyear.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#7 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 03:12 PM

Without other context (that certainly could matter)

Mateo/Henderson (depending on what starter we're facing)

I do want Ortiz starting, for the Dodgers.

Holliday at Norfolk.

Henderson is not a platoon player. Stop it.

• Dr. FLK and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 21 December 2023 - 03:14 PM

Henderson is not a platoon player. Stop it.

<<laughs>>

#9 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 21 December 2023 - 04:12 PM

Henderson at 3rd and Westburg at 2nd.

I prefer to trade Ortiz in a package with somebody to get us a good starter. Then it would be Mateo most likely. But depending on now Holliday looks I am bringing him up once they get to the extra year of service time (May or whenever that is). 

You all know I think baseball is archaic when it comes to bringing up younger players. When they are ready play them.

But for sure I want Ortiz or Mateo out of the organization by ST. I see zero reason for them to both be O's come opening day.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 05:05 PM

But depending on now Holliday looks I am bringing him up once they get to the extra year of service time (May or whenever that is).

There are 186 days during the MLB year next year (Mar 28 to September 29). He'd need to spend 15 days in the minors to ensure he only earns 171 days of service, one shy of the 172 that equates to a full year. That means he can be down for the 4 days of the season in March, the first 11 days of April, and be called up on April 12th. He'd miss the first 12 games.

If he goes out and finishes top-2 in ROY, then he gets credit for the full year anyways (like Adley did).

Anyone on the 40-man has to spend at least 20 days on assignment or else they get service for the time optioned and thus a full year. But Holliday isn't on the 40-man so that rule doesn't apply to him.

#11 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 21 December 2023 - 05:39 PM

Henderson at 3rd and Westburg at 2nd.

I prefer to trade Ortiz in a package with somebody to get us a good starter. Then it would be Mateo most likely. But depending on now Holliday looks I am bringing him up once they get to the extra year of service time (May or whenever that is).

You all know I think baseball is archaic when it comes to bringing up younger players. When they are ready play them.

But for sure I want Ortiz or Mateo out of the organization by ST. I see zero reason for them to both be O's come opening day.

Why not Gunnar at SS? He’s great out there. At least until Holliday is ready in your scenario. No reason for Mateo to be starting games here anymore.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 December 2023 - 05:43 PM

I want whatever you want Stoner.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:44 AM

Henderson has earned whatever position he wants. If he plays SS and Westburg plays 2nd would they keep Urias to play 3rd .?

Or if Ortiz isn't traded, let him play short & Henderson 3rd. Keep Holiday in AAA for a few months to work on his fielding.

#14 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:58 AM

There are 186 days during the MLB year next year (Mar 28 to September 29). He'd need to spend 15 days in the minors to ensure he only earns 171 days of service, one shy of the 172 that equates to a full year. That means he can be down for the 4 days of the season in March, the first 11 days of April, and be called up on April 12th. He'd miss the first 12 games.

If he goes out and finishes top-2 in ROY, then he gets credit for the full year anyways (like Adley did).

Anyone on the 40-man has to spend at least 20 days on assignment or else they get service for the time optioned and thus a full year. But Holliday isn't on the 40-man so that rule doesn't apply to him.

Thanks Mackus.

Why not Gunnar at SS? He’s great out there. At least until Holliday is ready in your scenario. No reason for Mateo to be starting games here anymore.

Because I want Holliday at ss sooner than later and it looks like from what Mackus posted above it should only be a couple of weeks before Holliday could be up. I agree on Mateo if they don't trade Ortiz but I don't think either of them is the answer moving forward. And for Gunnar I just prefer to give him 3b to run with it. Maybe he's fine moving around?

#15 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,617 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:18 PM

Holliday isn’t there yet defensively at SS yet. I think you give him a season or two playing mostly 2B before looking to move him to SS.

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:28 PM

Holliday isn’t there yet defensively at SS yet. I think you give him a season or two playing mostly 2B before looking to move him to SS.

You saying he's not good enough to play SS now or he's just not better than Henderson now?

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:40 PM

Has to be Henderson or Ortiz. Dont think any of the other options are realistic. Im pretty sure its gonna be Henderson. The interesting part is how  2b and 3b plays out. Have to think Westburg will get the reg time at one of the spots. The other seems totally up for grabs. 

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:49 PM

If they make a big trade for a SP, I wouldn't be shocked if Westburg is a part of it. But if he's still on the roster, then he definitely plays everyday at either 2B or 3B.

#19 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:54 PM

Not securing the extra year of service for Holliday is insane imo.

#20 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 23 December 2023 - 09:51 AM

Not securing the extra year of service for Holliday is insane imo.

We've done this several times in other places, but for me, it's not even a Service Time play.

Steve likes to say "when he's ready"...how do we determine that?  He has a handful of PAs at AAA....what makes him "ready" at 20?  You're still growing (and learning the mechanics of a growing/changing frame) and part of that is your changing muscle structure.

My rule is pretty simple.  Performance across 500 PAs between AA/AAA.  We aren't there.  It's not a Service move. They've pushed him fast which is cool, but if he's promoted to the Majors at any point this season, he'll be the fastest HSer to the Majors in recent memory.

There's no value in that for the Orioles.  There's lots of value for that for the player, and not matter how he does (if he struggles some or if he's great) he's already told you that you get no consideration long beyond Service Rules.

500 PAs takes him into the summer at some point.  2024 is absolutely a developmental year and maybe he's awesome, but that's the outlier case.  We don't know.  History of Baseball says Baseball is hard.  For humans.  He's human.

July promotion costs him RoY consideration and potential compensation for the Orioles.....so I'm not trading a month or 2 of ML time for those considerations.  You don't trades a developmental year (that's not Service manipulation) for a future developed year, especially for a cat that's going to prioritize something other than the Orioles 6 or 7 years from now.

So you build your 2024 plan to be competitive now and we'll see where Jackson is towards the end of this season and for 2025.

Depending on the pitcher

2B Westburg / [Frazier/Lux/Baumler]

SS Mateo / Henderson

3B Henderson / Westburg

Mateo is signed for 2.7M.  Figure out the LHed complement to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=